Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any Clydes riding Specialized LBS is pushing the p all mountain

as some of you have read..i used to bike a lot back in the day, i had schwinn 19 inch rigid, i was in the low to mid 200's then...now im getting back into it. going to sell my "hybrid" and buy a mountain bike....not sure which one yet, i have had some pretty good suggestions...im wondering about specialized...rockhopper, stumpjumper..hardrock./..anyone have any input...i really do like the looks of the Giant maybe Rincon, or Yukon... my local bike shop is telling me the "all new 2009" P. all mountain would definitley hold up to my size...

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
oh ya... you didn't mention your height... if your fairly tall and aren't planning on doing drops/jumps a 29er deserves some attention... best part is there are affordable steel options when it comes to 29ers :) i've got 2... and i'm still battling out my decision of which is my main rig (redline d440 and surly karate monkey)...

if they are in your price range check one out

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
I'm 6'4", 260 pounds. I held off buying a full suspension bike for years because I felt it wouldn't last under my weight. After seeing the Stumpjumper FSR 29er, I decided they did not make that bike for twinks.
I love it. I like the 29" wheels and I'm so pleased with the bike, that I'm going to buy a Stumpy hardtail 29er frame and put together another bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I own a Stumpjumper FSR 26er. I love this bike and it has held up great during the past two years of hard trail riding. I have replaced my fork seals twice and the rear shock seal once but that is average for Fox Shocks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Another Clyde (6'6" 270) on a Stumpy 29er FSR. Love it!
Can't go wrong with a Spec plus they have life time warranty on the frame.

·
Registered
49 Posts
6'1 240 Riding a StumpJumper 29'r HT
Set up as a rugged commuter for now until I buy a road or cx bike.
Big Apples, inverted mary bars etc..

Used to have a 2000-2001 rock hopper I beat on a daily basis that still lives locally (I'm looking to buy it back for a beater/buddy bike)

the only thing I ever really "broke" were the pedals on the stumpy, after a few hundred miles the bearings actually pushed through the plastic and one pedal shot them out the end cap on a ride.

I back up the 29'r recommendation. It just feels right ....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 6'2" - 215 and have been riding two different Specialized Epics for the last six years. I'm not a gentle rider and I do put a lot of miles on my bikes.

I rode my Epic Comp for four years with no problems I did have to replace some parts after a few nasty wrecks but nothing every broke b/c of my weight. That bike was full XT with a set of Mavic CrossMax wheels.

I now ride an Epic S-Works with full XTR, including the wheels. I thought for sure that I would snap these wheels on day one - but 2000 miles later they are still as true as ever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Rockhopper 29 a great bike after I upgraded the wheels. I was riding on loose dirt and grass went done a steep hill and the front spokes collapsed on me. The bike was 2 months old I was new at what I was doing. The LBS contacted Specialized and the upgrade was free and fixed under warranty. Now I am a big guy 6'4" 280. That probably was the reason the spokes and wheel tanked.
I am now a loyal Specialized rider and I stay with the LBS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
My sister got me into riding a road bike last year. My first season was on a fitness trainer indoors, this year outside at the local bike park to avoid traffic while I improve my riding skills. I am having a ball. I got the bug big time My sister, has retired from the U.S. Navy after 26 years, is a survivor of the 911 Pentagon Disaster, she lost most of her team that day, and we are very proud of her, she’s been competing in triathlons since completing basic training. She is physically fit, I am not. She has a Specialized Allez and Ruby road bike and just bought herself a Specialized Stump Jumper hard tail and loves it. She wants me to get an mtb. I weigh in at 300 lbs, age 49, 5’9”, with 30” inseam, 37” arms, short legs and long arms. I’m riding to loose weight, control my BP and diabetes.

Last weekend the local bike shop had their demo fleet at the Mtb Park. I was able to ride a Gary Fisher Roscoe I, $2,800.00 bike, full suspension. I had a great time even when I crashed and bruised the left shoulder because the SPD peddle failed to release. I was impressed with the bikes full suspension because I didn’t feel any distress in my spine during the ride. I have lower back injuries in the fifth lumbar region due to a motorcycle accident in 2003 and vehicle accident in 2008.

I’d like to look for an mtb bike that can first support my weight, whether it’s a full suspension or hard tail. Where the manufacture offers a limited lifetime warranty, just incase my body weight causes the frame to fatigue. This leads me to consider manufactures such as Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, Giant, Felt, and Cannondale. Not wishing to spend a fortune, but realizing you get what you pay for, what would be this forums recommendation be. My riding style would be simple trail riding, fun pure enjoyment with health benefits, and nothing kamikaze style. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I ride a Raleigh m50DX. It is a few years old but is a very stout bike and comfy enough for me. I have not had it out on the trails yet so I cannot say how it does in that respect but I love the bike. It is a rigid and has disc breaks which are awesome and for $500 (3 years ago) new I could not be happier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an '09 Rockhopper Expert 29er. So far, so good. Had to have the wheels trued up at the 50 mile mark, but they have remained straight since then (about 75 miles on bike so far).

I am 6'-4", 280 lbs..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.