Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 240lbs which isn't huge but plenty of wheels have 180-200lb limits. I see that they make 110-120kb limit wheels but still curious if anyone heavier is using them and what they think about them.

Would be going on a 5.5" AM 29er.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have the AM version of the 29" hookless. Absolutely perfect. Super durable looking and feeling rim. Went with 32 hole front and back, j-bend spokes, and DTSWISS 350 hubs. I am 6 feet 230 fully kitted. Ride combination XC and trail here in the San Diego area. Pics ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399300807.048577.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399300821.717179.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399300843.966038.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399300855.987567.jpg

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do they come built or do they give you a pile of spokes and a hub and you have to find someone to build it?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I went on you could choose between Novatec or Hope I think... I'm not sure I want something as bling as Hope or as cheap as Novatec so maybe I'd just get the hoops.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
When I went on you could choose between Novatec or Hope I think... I'm not sure I want something as bling as Hope or as cheap as Novatec so maybe I'd just get the hoops.
Novatec hubs are actually very good for the money. If your not going to spring for Hopes then the Novatec hubs are as good as anything below that price point. They actually make many of the OEM hubs you see on pretty expensive bikes.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Novatec hubs are actually very good for the money. If your not going to spring for Hopes then the Novatec hubs are as good as anything below that price point. They actually make many of the OEM hubs you see on pretty expensive bikes.
I'm just nervous because of my weight... 240, not huge but definitely not light.

I might spring for the Hopes, just not sure. What other hubs around that price point? DT Swiss 240 or 350? I admittedly have not done enough research.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'm just nervous because of my weight... 240, not huge but definitely not light.

I might spring for the Hopes, just not sure. What other hubs around that price point? DT Swiss 240 or 350? I admittedly have not done enough research.
DT 350 and White Industries are in the similar price range as Hope and do well with big riders. For a smidge more Hadley hubs are really nice.

Both the White Industries and Hadley hubs use a titanium freehub body which will be more durable than an aluminum freehub body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts