Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently riding a Ventata El Capitan, and considering a DW Sultan.
I have a CCDB on my El Cap, much due to the fact that the bike would sink down in its travel with the stock rp23. => Coil vs air.

Is this the same on a DW bike also?

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
I'm near-clyde status (~190 or 195) and ride a DW Sultan with the RP23. It works best for me with the DGC shim modification, which can be found with a rudimentary search. Works well without it, too, but the shim allows for a full 30% sag without any "blowing through the travel" concerns.

On pure smoother pure xc trails, no shim required.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,659 Posts
200# here, '11 DW Sultan, stock RP23, which I always leave wide open. While I've never felt her bottom (damn), the shock shaft o-ring tells me I get full travel. Yet she climbs supah fine just like that.

--sParty

·
Registered
253 Posts
My experience with DW-spot and RP23 (I'm a measly 155 lbs r2r) is that the DGC shim allows more plushness without bottoming. The shimming is really easy to do.

Note that the 2012 Sultan has the Monarch Plus as an option (source), from what I have read here this is a better shock if you want more plushness without frequent bottoming. Check the DGC reviews.

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it looks like I'm being a little paranoid here, if mid-stroke wallow during climbing is not an issue for us big guys?

The DGC mod also looked quite interesting..

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
200# here, '11 DW Sultan, stock RP23, which I always leave wide open. While I've never felt her bottom (damn), the shock shaft o-ring tells me I get full travel. Yet she climbs supah fine just like that.

--sParty
Similar: 210, '11 DW Sultan, stock RP23, which I usually leave wide open. Sag set per turnerbikes.com. Might have felt it bottom once or twice, definitely getting full travel. Rode it last night, love it.

Morgan

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
As already mentioned , the stock RP23 w HV air can is just fine for general xc use and for the most part not bad for small jumps and stuff at least for me ! I rode my 09 DW Sultan with this shock mostly in the open position for nearly two seasons before switching it out with a PUSHed Monarch RT3 w standard air can ( smaller volume version ) ! I like the Monarch better especially when riding more aggressively ! Speaking of Ventana......I'm curious how the changed pivot placement on the new frames will effect the overall performance being I have owned a few V's including an 06 El Capitan ! :D TIG.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im a clyde at 6' 5" 250 rtr. I am running a XXL 2011 Sultan with about 240 lbs in my stock RP23 and have never bottomed it this year. I am getting about three quarter travel right now. I too was concerned, but after all summer I am going to lower the pressure to get full travel. Pro pedal is simply not necessary on the climbs with this DW link frame, and that is saying something for a guy my size. To be honest, I dont even think about the pro pedal switch anymore. BUT, I am not doing huge drops on it either. Nothing really over five feet for me anymore. I demoed just about everyt competing bike in the value range and for me, the Sultan was the clear winner. Delay no longer future Homer, buy the Sultan.:thumbsup:

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
At 210 RTR I have no issues with the stock RP23. No wallow, no sinking and It is still quite plush. That said the CCDB air looks looks promising!

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! I just put down the deposit for a 2011 XXL Sultan, needless to say I'm really excited :)

Now I have to figure out if I want a F34 or a Revelation...

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Thanks guys! I just put down the deposit for a 2011 XXL Sultan, needless to say I'm really excited :)

Now I have to figure out if I want a F34 or a Revelation...
Bwaaha , I couldn't resist.....I went for a XL 2011 DW Sultan on sale but not sure if it will replace my 09 Sultan or be an addition built different !

Speaking of forks , I'm in the same boat.......might include the White Brothers Loop 29er in the mix as well ! Performance , stiffness , and a reasonable price....Arrgh ! I wish there was a 29er fork shootout comparing these new offerings ! Or better yet maybe someone will buy a new Fox 34 and sell it a week later in desperation on fleabay ! :devil: TIG.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.