Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Well, I have been pounding on a 2005 Reign for 2+ years at 260lbs to 300lbs and the only thing I have had to watch is the seatstay pivot bearings, but everybody has to watch them.

If it fits you both physically and with regards to your riding style, it could certainly have the potential to be a good bike.

But whether the level of componentry will hold up to your use is an issue I don't have enough info on to comment.

·
Registered
383 Posts
yup! I just picked up a 05/06 that was a left over on a deal I couldn't pass up. I was hesitant but for the price I figure it was worth a chance.

I really got it for the frame. I have a float r on it. I'm around 305lbs with gear and I run max air on it. Roughly 300psi and I'm pretty rough New england single track with a few drops and so far no problems. You could run a little less for a softer ride if you are less aggressive on it.

Check the specs though, I had much nicer (and beefier) wheels and put disc brakes on it and a new fork. Tha manitou axel on it, is a huge POS. I just picked up from Jenson a Manitou Minute elite tpx 120mm with a 20mm fork for $249 thru them.

I am going to get the shock pushed. the works with a bottom out bumper is 4169. still worth it for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fox Float

Not to highjack the thread, but at 260lb w/gear, and 300psi in the Fox Float R on a reign it sags a good 25-30%. I like to run at 20%. And I think it slowly leaks air.. what gives!

You guys getting better sag than that at a heavier weight????

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
unfriendlyGiant said:
Not to highjack the thread, but at 260lb w/gear, and 300psi in the Fox Float R on a reign it sags a good 25-30%. I like to run at 20%. And I think it slowly leaks air.. what gives!

You guys getting better sag than that at a heavier weight????
For some reason the Manitou Swingers seem to require quite a bit less pressure in the air spring. I run about 180psi to 190psi in mine (05' Reign) and I'm heavier than you are. I have heard about the Fox shocks being this way compared to the Manitou Swinger Air before.

At 180psi, I am getting about 30% to 35% sag and it rides very plush and get very close to full travel on an average/rough ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jeffj said:
For some reason the Manitou Swingers seem to require quite a bit less pressure in the air spring. I run about 180psi to 190psi in mine (05' Reign) and I'm heavier than you are. I have heard about the Fox shocks being this way compared to the Manitou Swinger Air before.

At 180psi, I am getting about 30% to 35% sag and it rides very plush and get very close to full travel on an average/rough ride.
Hi jeffj -

Yes I had the swinger 3-way on my Giant VT and ran 250psi in the main chamber and around 180psi in the platform and it ran 'stiff' with maybe 15-20% sag.

Did you get the swinger stock or as aftermarket? I gotta say I like the swinger better, but Giant told me the FOX FLOAT is better for the geometry and that you don't need much platform for the DW-like linkage. I think this is odd given that the swinger came stock on some reigns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.