Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Chromag surface owners on the front range? I know there are people in Colorado that have them but I can't seem to lay eyes on one anywhere. I have narrowed my next bike choice down to the Reeb AM Geared or the Chromag Surface. The Reeb is such a sweet bike and after riding it it was hard to keep my wallet in my pocket but I did for now. In fact everything about the reeb experience has it scoring way higher right now but the Surface has a few possible geometry differences that might make it win out but hard to tell at this stage in the game.

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
Those geometries are pretty similar. What the lower bottom bracket? I had a Canfield yelli and my REEB rides so much better up and down for me on lots of trails nearby and I think it is due to the higher bb.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they are very similar

Reeb
chainstay length - 17.3
BB hight - 13.5 I read somewhere thinking with a 120mm fork
Head tube angle - 68.75 with 120mm fork

Surface - But I was thinking 140mm fork
chainstay length - 16.9
BB hight - 12.75 120mm fork
Head tube angle - 68 with 120mm fork

I realize these are just numbers and if I could throw a leg over a surface I would know which one is best for my needs. I just can't find one to try. I don't like buying selling things I would hate to buy a Surface only to find out I actually like the reeb better and then need to sell it to get the bike that is best for me. Both are very expensive just trying to do this only once.

Yes the BB did seem like a plus when I was riding it and never felt too high for me.

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,765 Posts
BUY LOCAL!!! Besides its BEER spelled backwards!

(Says a guy with a salsa- but it was in my budget!). Don't forget you'll need a j.pak with it!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All things being equal I would buy local. As a sober guy the beer spelled backwards does not sway me. Maybe they will come out with a designated driver sticker combo that would be cool. They don't make N/A beer so really 1/2 of the marketing plan is geared to appeal to someone else. The reeb is an awesome bike and all the people associated with it are cool and that is enough for me.

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
I got a pretty early one welded by Chris Sulfrian, but one thing to keep in mind is the paragon adjustable dropouts give an inch of chainstay adjustment. With my dropouts slammed forward I get a 16.9" cs. With room for 2.4 ardent on a velocity p35 rim, must run chain though. Run it at 17.1" though seem to like it there.
Also bottom bracket is 13.0" with a 120mm fork- at least mine is. REEB uses higher quality steel, platinum ox at least 3/4 pound lighter frame. 31.6 seat tube is irrelevant with more 27.2 dropper posts available and you may not like the feel of the 31.6 4130 tube. Just more info I thought I'd pass along.
Seriously been happy with my REEB what almost 3 years now, just looking to get a 130 pike now and should keep it fresh.

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
The higher BB is a plus for riding chunky stuff around here like Palmer or Mt herman, also the chainstays are adjustable on the Reeb so you can dial that in. Longer stays have their merits too, helps keep front end planted on steep climbs and add stability on descents.

Another thing to consider is fit, the Reeb has a long ETT for a comfy cockpit. I have no clue what the geo is on the Chromag but a lot of the AM style hardtails will have a shorter ETT for a more upright position, may or may not be what your looking for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doug, I wonder if the 17.3 chainstay they have listed is with the belt drive? I have never been on something with a truly short chainstay like the honzo and am not even sure that I would like it. I am used to riding dirt bikes more than mountain bikes so the slower steering "ride over" instead of "dance through" feels more natural to me than my 26" or the 27.5" that I have been on recently.

Have you tried a 140mm fork on your reeb?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tickle, the ETTs are the same and appears that the some of the other geometry numbers are even closer than they first appeared. So it really boils down to do I want many dropper seat post options or the ability to have a sweet SS belt drive when I get the itch.

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
Yes 17.3 is their standard belt drive build. It is possible to get the smaller belt ring set up and get a 17.1" CS if I remember correctly.
Been tempted to try my 150 pike on there but think a pike spaced to 140 or 130 would be just right. Seen a few with 140 forks, dirt rag seemed to like it when they reviewed it.

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
I have a Gravity dropper on mine but with a Reverb on another bike I miss the infinite adjustment and smooth performance. The GD has not been as bulletproof for me as advertised as well.

Good news is Thomson is coming out with a 27.2 size in May I think, I plan on replacing my GD asap

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be curious how it is with a 140mm fork. I had a 70mm stem on my test ride and it was perfect with 120mm fork.

I hope the thompson is a durable unit. I range from 195~215lbs. and want a dropper option that is trouble free.

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
7 years with same trouble free classic gravity dropper been cleaned and lubed 3x. Aesthetics and lack of infinite adjustability are not deal breakers for me. KS too but will need regular service like reverb. Thomson in May supposedly but pricey.

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
The rubber boot thingy is kind of fugly, but I have not had as good of luck as others with mine. Needed constant lubing from the get go, after one year of riding it and a wet ride in Winter park last summer, I had to rebuild it with new shims. Even after the rebuild hitting the 1" drop is not always smooth, not to mention the butt tap thingy which I seem to forget about after riding the Reverb.

GS Spirit- I don't think there is such a thing as a reliable dropper post, they all have their issues and Thomson is still new so not proven yet. I'll still roll the dice tho when it comes out.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
OB doesn't make an NA beer but they do make B. Stiff and Sons Rootbeer and it's damn good. And they have B.Stiff stickers. And B.Stiff was a bike rider and a friend. :)

I just measured my REEB. It's got just shy of a 17.5 stays with a 118t belt and a 46/28t belt drive combo. The wheel could be moved about 1/2 inch forward yet in the sliders if this was a geared bike. That would compromise your tire clearance with a 2.4 rear, though.

I run a 120mm fork on mine but we do have a few folks out there with 140s that really love them.

with regards to droppers, I've been a Gravity Dropper guy forever but put a Thomson on another bike in June. It has been problem free so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts