Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there are any frame builders that still use Chro-Molly frames with the newer geometries. I'd like one that is sequincially TIG welded and butted 3 times......hmm....now that I think about it.....this might be one expensive ass frame.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
There are tons of builders that use steel of various quality, strength, and stiffness. How much do you want to spend?

If you want standard (ie not custom) and inexpensive look at Surly, Vassago, On-One, Soma

If you want custom, check out Curtlo for under $1000...otherwise the list is a mile long.

Some common names include Strong, Sycip, Independent Fabrications, Soul Craft, Wolfhound, etc

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
el_chupo_ said:
Search for user "FM". He is having a custom steel HT built right now
yeah, there's quite a few options actually!

I'm waiting on a curtlo which will be likely be truetemper OSX and built for a fox talas 36 fork & big tires. $825 is his standard price and he's very flexible. 6 month wait though- I'm half way there!

Others to consider:
dialled bikes alpine & prince albert
transition transam
2soulcycles funtail
evil soveriegn (still some available)
Anything by chromag

Here's what I've got in mind (drawn in CAD, paint & decal applied in photoshop). Final version may be different... we'll see!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep......I'm going to contact these guys....
http://www.v2racing.com/3dracing/
A friend told me earlier today about how they use Columbus Foco cromoly steel. And that's what I want. He said they probably have some pre-built already. I might even be able to find a actual 18 inch frame. I'm starting to feel out of place between 19 inch and 17 inch frames.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
cancel that thought

I must be getting old, we used to ride these on the 'shore. Way back when :rolleyes:

Same with the DeKerf Implant, an indirect shot at the Cove Stiffee. Now they call the DeKerf an urban assault bike.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.