Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys planning my build and was hoping to get some input. The question is outlined in the title. Is there anywhere I can get some cost effective weight savings on my build below? I don't really want to drive the cost up much looking to shave pounds. I figure I will come in decently light as it is already.

This is the plan so far lol
santa cruz carbon frame xl
x-fusion sweep 140mm
RaceFace Ride XC Crank/Bottom Brackets Sets 32or34 tooth
XT CS-M771 Cassette 10-spd 11x36
Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10-Speed Der SGS
Hope T-Rex RExpander Sprocket 40T Silver (wait and see how it works out without it)
RockShox Reverb stealth Seatpost 420mm 30.9mm
Shimano XT M785 Front Disc Brake 180mm
Shimano XT M785 Rear Disc Brake 160mm
cane creek 40 series zero stack
raceface atlus stem (black)
Raceface sixc carbon Bar (turquoise) 31.8mm
race face half nelson Grips (turquoise or orange)
raceface crank arm boot (turquoise)
mash guards fender & stash (black with turquoise letters)
Light Bike carbon 27.5 wheelset (tubeless, matte 12K) with hope 2 evo hubs (black), Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420 (4.3g/pcs for 260mm) spokes, pillar alloy light nipples

thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
255 Posts
XT cassette is also a pig. I'd look into a Sram equivalent. I love Shimano, but i have been running Sram cassettes for a couple of years now. Works fine.

EDIT Grips could also be swapped out. Foam grips can drop a lot of weight, and newer ones like the new DSP mountain grip by lizardskins, have no slippage problems. They are also cheaper.

·
Registered
995 Posts
XT cassette is also a pig. I'd look into a Sram equivalent. I love Shimano, but i have been running Sram cassettes for a couple of years now. Works fine.
If he wants to ever run one of the 42t or 40t cogs (like he said he did), then he's stuck with XT or a PG-1070 and the PG-1070 is heavier than the XT.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts

EDIT Grips could also be swapped out. Foam grips can drop a lot of weight, and newer ones like the new DSP mountain grip by lizardskins, have no slippage problems. They are also cheaper.
XT a pig at 330g for $60? SRAM can't touch its weight for that cost. ESI makes great foam-type grips that absolutely won't slip and weight under 50g for a pair.

·
well mannered lout
3,101 Posts
Do you need the dropper post? Save money and weight if it isn't all important.

I understand the buzz around the wide range cassette for the 1x set-up, but I think a lot of guys would just be better off with a 30/32T front and an ultegra touring cassette/ short cage derailleur. Maybe it's just me, but I have no intention of building a super light bike and riding it in a granny slow ratio. Still, build it to suit your needs ( not mine ).

Have fun!

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
A 32x36 is a pretty low gear....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
ACHOO
4,450 Posts
Looks like you won't be using a saddle, which definitely would reduce weight, but you may get violated after a large drop.

If you do decide to keep your virginity for prison, try a carbon saddle from eBay. I think mine was ~$50 for 110g.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you don't already have the fork a bit more coin will get you DT Swiss XMM 140 at ~1570g or a Revelation at ~1787g. X Fusion Sweep lists at ~1909g

Do you have tires and rotors picked out yet?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no tires or rotors picked. the rev is 32mm and at 210lbs I think the 34mm is a good call. The revelation on my list originally. i will look into the xmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts