Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that Dave would make a really sweet DW or VPP bike and solve the whole bearing issue. I am sure that the new TNT bikes work great, but I don't see them as the final evolutionary step in Turner bikes. Just a gut feeling. I don't know anyone at Turner, so this is pure speculation. I think that licensing a patent from Rob Roskopp or Dave Weagle has to be a much less bitter pill to swallow than dealing with he who must not be named (Tony). On a side note, I have two more weeks until I get my green annodized 5 Pack :)

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
Alpenglow said:
I think that Dave would make a really sweet DW or VPP bike and solve the whole bearing issue. I am sure that the new TNT bikes work great, but I don't see them as the final evolutionary step in Turner bikes. Just a gut feeling. I don't know anyone at Turner, so this is pure speculation. I think that licensing a patent from Rob Roskopp or Dave Weagle has to be a much less bitter pill to swallow than dealing with he who must not be named (Tony). On a side note, I have two more weeks until I get my green annodized 5 Pack :)
Why bother? They all ride the same.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,518 Posts
If somebody (not turner) manages to patent the single pivot TNT design, then yes.

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I've had my 5 Spot for 2.5 years.

My 5 Pack that I am getting is because I'm crash replacing my 5 spot front triangle with a 6 pack because of a large down tube dent.

tscheezy said:
I would tend to say "no" for the same reason you are buying a Turner.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I vote for a DW-Link'er

Alpenglow said:
Having met both Daves I think they'd get a long great and have huge mutual respect.

And having ridden designs by both, they both would gain in quality design and engineering execution. I think DW has more to gain at first. No company has applied his full line of travel near to it's potential. IH has done an excellent job meeting the lower cost market but the finish work and refinement leaves much still to be desired. A DT/DW-Link line would help IH exposure too.

DW's most advanced designs in all travel ranges have the best pedaling feel and acceleration seated and standing without the stiffening and stalling feel in bumps of VPP while climbing, especially in more racy shorter travel versions. It's compatible with many shock types. And they are very stable and bump compliant while braking.

Applying DT's knack for superb handling, and engineering beauty and quality, and top reputation for customer satisfaction would make Turner Suspension Bikes the crown of the US bicycle industry if not the world for the rest of the decade at least.

Maybe Turner Suspension Bikes could maintain an old school design such as their original non-ICT HL derived design line too. Although if riders could demo both they'd always pick the DT/DW-Link design.

I'll put my order in right now for a 6 - 7 inch travel DT/DW-Link lighter-weight trail bike. No hesitation.

- ray

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn't that be like saying...

Norco, Devinci, Ellsworth, Turners, Specialized, and Titus all ride the same? I think that there is still a lot of refinement that can go into the VPP suspension design as well as the linkage bearings. I also like the craftsmanship, geometry, material selection, quality control, warranty, customer service of a Turner. Take a look a the DW link. It works pretty well. Sam Hill has been doing really well for Iron Horse on the WC circuit with it and now Sabrina Jonnier is on their roster. However, Iron Horse has had a terrible time with QC on their mass produced bikes from Tawain as well as some issues with progressive shocks. This is only one aspect that Turner would greatly improve upon. I only asked the question because I was curios. I didn't want to start a debate.

Steve from JH said:
Why bother? They all ride the same.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Alpenglow said:
God, I hope not. I like Turners the way they are, with the rocker link, reliable and stiff rear end, and simplicity. I like that I can get full travel out of the shock, with no funky tuning problems. I didn't buy in for the HL in the first place, and I don't care for change in this case. A good ride never goes out of style.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Alpenglow said:
Norco, Devinci, Ellsworth, Turners, Specialized, and Titus all ride the same? I think that there is still a lot of refinement that can go into the VPP suspension design as well as the linkage bearings. I also like the craftsmanship, geometry, material selection, quality control, warranty, customer service of a Turner. Take a look a the DW link. It works pretty well. Sam Hill has been doing really well for Iron Horse on the WC circuit with it and now Sabrina Jonnier is on their roster. However, Iron Horse has had a terrible time with QC on their mass produced bikes from Tawain as well as some issues with progressive shocks. This is only one aspect that Turner would greatly improve upon. I only asked the question because I was curios. I didn't want to start a debate.
People who have ridden the TNT say it rides like the classic HL Turner that we all know and love.

So why bother with licensing an unproven design from another manufacturer?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Funny, someone posted a question like this about 6 months or so ago, I actually welcomed the idea of a 6+" VPP or DW frame made by Turner. Well the outcome wasnt pretty, I got slammed pretty hard, "how dare you think that Turner would stray from the HL design!" That was most of the replies.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
drumstix said:
Funny, someone posted a question like this about 6 months or so ago, I actually welcomed the idea of a 6+" VPP or DW frame made by Turner. Well the outcome wasnt pretty, I got slammed pretty hard, "how dare you think that Turner would stray from the HL design!" That was most of the replies.
...I thought then, & still do now, a DW Turner would be pretty hawt. However, the one drawback (IMHO) to the DW link (at least in the IH incarnation of it) is that the shock requires special valving, as the stock compression valving of most shocks is too much & produces a "harsh" feel over small bumps. The only downside being it limits your options...or requires a revalve (if offered) of the upgrade.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A DW Turner would be cool but a Turner + Push Industries marriage might be better where you could buy a frame + headset + fork combo that was tuned by Push and ride approved by both DT and Darren

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...I thought then, & still do now, a DW Turner would be pretty hawt. However, the one drawback (IMHO) to the DW link (at least in the IH incarnation of it) is that the shock requires special valving, as the stock compression valving of most shocks is too much & produces a "harsh" feel over small bumps. The only downside being it limits your options...or requires a revalve (if offered) of the upgrade.
Normal production platform shocks do... some others are using non-platform Cane-Creek shocks (or other brand for what matters) and are working much better.

Recently, a thread was swaying people away from the 5th Element air and recommending getting the frame/bike with the RS Ario as for damping and mostly reliability. Go figure.

In addition to that... most Homers are revalving their shocks at Push... so, your point doesn't hold much water. People is going to revalve shocks anyway.

No, it doesn't limit your choices.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Warp2003 said:
..so, your point doesn't hold much water. People is going to revalve shocks anyway.
...who's trying to hold water? :rolleyes:

Your argument is a moot point...as my point (water-holding or not) is substantiated by DW himself. I guess you can go debate your claims with the designs originator.
Again, the point is valid... not that it eliminates options...but would simply require dropping more bank (with a revalve...PUSH or otherwise) after a shock upgrade to get your ride up to the potential feel of the new damper. Again, I was referring to the IH application & NOT generalizing in regards to the DW link. :rolleyes:

EDIT: As soon as I finished typing this response, I was reading a thread on RM with these replies....Coincidence? :D

DW said:

DW said:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.