Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

321 - 340 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
I keep my dork disk on, not so much for fashion but for function. I've seen too many occasions where a dork disk would have prevented the walk of shame back to the car. I've had an occasion where if it weren't for the disk I would have had to make that walk. So I wear my disk proudly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone have trouble with their rear axle coming loose? Mine's come loose 3 or 4 times now. Threads seem fine, and I've always used a torque wrench to tighten it to 10Nm.

I'm trying blue loctite this time around.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Anyone have trouble with their rear axle coming loose? Mine's come loose 3 or 4 times now. Threads seem fine, and I've always used a torque wrench to tighten it to 10Nm.

I'm trying blue loctite this time around.
The loctite will work. Also grease the axle shaft itself. Is 10Nm what it calls for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Correct - the problem is the thru bolt keeps coming loose. No problems with the hub (at least not that I know of). 10Nm is the spec on the bolt itself. And, yea, i've been lightly greasing the axle shaft portion.

It'll be very difficult to let it sit for 24-36 hours... Bike's too fun to ride :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Correct - the problem is the thru bolt keeps coming loose. No problems with the hub (at least not that I know of). 10Nm is the spec on the bolt itself. And, yea, i've been lightly greasing the axle shaft portion.
I've had this problem on my aluminum Release. Scary at times!

Diamondback recommended using Teflon plumber's tape instead of Loctite.

I gave up on the Diamondback supplied axle and bought a Lightning Bolt-On Replacement Thru-Axle. Problem solved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting. I rode my 5c at a bike park this weekend (not really advised when brake jacked) and on the last lap, there was strange noise I couldn't locate. We were loading it into the truck when by brother in law noticed the back axle was FULLY unthreaded and hanging halfway out. Luckily, it threaded back in and seems fine, but damn, that would have been a catastrophic failure if it had come out, probably destroying the entire rear triangle, the rear brakes, the derailleur, and who knows what else.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Interesting. I rode my 5c at a bike park this weekend (not really advised when brake jacked) and on the last lap, there was strange noise I couldn't locate. We were loading it into the truck when by brother in law noticed the back axle was FULLY unthreaded and hanging halfway out. Luckily, it threaded back in and seems fine, but damn, that would have been a catastrophic failure if it had come out, probably destroying the entire rear triangle, the rear brakes, the derailleur, and who knows what else.
I had the same thing happen to me and also at a bike park but it was on a different bike. The rear felt squirlly and I had no idea why. Then I looked down and saw that the thru-axle was nearly out. I screwed it back on and all was good again. I guess this is why some people got rid of the quick release version on thru-axles.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The 5C has an actual thru-bolt and not a quick release thru-axle, right?

My Release 3 has the stock quick release thru-axle and I've noticed that it is finicky with tension. Don't know if there is stretch going on or something else because once in a while, I will get a clicking sound under pedal load. Retighten the thru-axle and it goes away. It is like it is losing tension which seems hard for the quick release variety to lose it through unscrewing. So wonder if there is a common issue (hub or the multilayers on the "nut" side) with the thru-axle setup where the axle is losing tension. Once tension is lost with a thru bolt, would allow it to back out on its own.

·
Registered
79 Posts
... I guess this is why some people got rid of the quick release version on thru-axles.
Yes. Once I swapped out the original QR axle for a non-QR axle, the problem disappeared. No need for Loctite, plumber's tape, or any other substance. The axle is now worry free.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Knock on wood, no trouble and quiet. I wonder if that is such a good thing, if'n I sneak up on a bear in the woods...
Please post if you've found a frame bag that will work with the piggyback shock. I'm still looking for one! - Usuallylost it looks like you found some that may work? What brand are those?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same here, not a lick of trouble out of my sons 4c or my 5c. Well nothing other than a creaky seatpost on his, and I still dislike the feel of the sram brakes on my 5c. I kinda wish i had stuck with the 4c for me too. I do love Shimano components.

321 - 340 of 374 Posts