Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have time right now... but I'll post up a few photos later. Let me say this: I played junior hockey up until high school days... (which was a LONG TIME AGO!) and just got back onto the ice again. WOW has equipment technology come a long way since the mid '70's. :eekster:

Photos to be added later this evening if I get some time. ;) :D

ps.. a quick teaser... how about a composite hockey stick weighing less than a pound? ;) No more lumber for me!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry, not a weight weenie, but have played ice hockey and as the above poster said wouldn't trust carbon for a stick. I'll stick to good ol fashioned wood or alu thanks very much. I used to use some nice Easton alu sticks and still have them, not sure if they'd still be good now - 10+ years later.

·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Easton sticks seem to hold up pretty well per the locals. I didn't get a new S17 but did get a CNT. Graphite composite construction with Kevlar reinforcing at the corners. As you can see in the photo of the cut off end of the stick after I shortened it, the Kevlar along the corner is visible under the paint. Weight of the stick even with tape is just under 1 pound, wow. The skates are Graf G3 Supra's and use carbon fiber insole, outsole and counter. You can see the carbon fiber weave on the bottom of the soles. They fit very well until I hit the ice, lol. I quickly found that there was a spot on each foot between the ankle bone and insole that was too snug. To the point of being unbearable and I could not make more than 2 laps around the rink. So I pulled them off and went to visit my pal at the skate shop right across from the arena. Baked them and punched that area out on both boots. Went back to the ice and WOW did that do the job. The composite boots like Graf and some other high-end skates use take some time to break in. I'm pleased that mine are comfortable after less than 3 hours in them. They'll only get better as time goes on. :)

Here's a video on how the Easton sticks are made:

·
Registered
14 Posts

I played junior through high school as well, but moving out to Arizona State for college from Michigan, priorities are flipped- hence riding now.

Ive worked at a shop since I moved tto AZ, good friend of mine is in charge of design/testing for Mission, which was a nice perk trying out demo stuff. Easton, Bauer, Mission sticks, I tended to snap mission the quickest, Easton grew big in hockey over the last decade, but the new bauer sticks are the way to go. I attached the new "Kandy Kane" Vapors designed by Patrick Kane of the Blackhawks. Id rather put 500+ towards a wheelset....

·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, there's no way I'd pay retail for skates, wow. I think they were $649.99 at list price. Got mine online as they were a pair of pro returns from Sean "Sloppy Seconds" Avery. Not like he really needs skates anymore this season, lol. Even at 1/2 price it's expensive but the Graf's have a great reputation for a solid, long-lasting skate. I was just lucky to find a pair in the exact size and width I use at a decent price. Found a new Easton S17 helmet cheap, and a used Oakley visor/cage for it. Got a deal on new Graf G700 gloves and pants, and a nice find on a used set of G700 shoulder pads. Still trying to decide on the shin guards, elbow guards, and slash guards. Leaning towards Easton probably though.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well, after finding a good skate shop in Edmonton and becoming friends with the guy and seeing him tear apart skates, there's no way I'd ever buy ANY of those fancy smancy $$$ skates. It would just amaze you at the crap they use to build them, the glue is water based and the padding/foam is shite. I saw him rebuild so many pro skates it wasn't funny - no pro really uses skates "as is".

I haven't been into ice hockey now for well over 10 years, but I klnow when I was everything was produce as cheap as possible and sold for outrageous amounts because it had a name or the pros wore it. NO skate I ever saw that was the "latest and greatest" ever was worth even wholesale price.

·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LyNx said:
Well, after finding a good skate shop in Edmonton and becoming friends with the guy and seeing him tear apart skates, there's no way I'd ever buy ANY of those fancy smancy $$$ skates. It would just amaze you at the crap they use to build them, the glue is water based and the padding/foam is shite. I saw him rebuild so many pro skates it wasn't funny - no pro really uses skates "as is".

I haven't been into ice hockey now for well over 10 years, but I klnow when I was everything was produce as cheap as possible and sold for outrageous amounts because it had a name or the pros wore it. NO skate I ever saw that was the "latest and greatest" ever was worth even wholesale price.
Equipment has come a long ways. Used to go through a pair of skates every couple years it seemed. The newer boot construction with composites such as carbon fiber and Kevlar have changed things enormously I feel. You don't have the same old waterlogged skate boots as in years past that fell apart if you couldn't get them dry between games or practices. The higher-end skates now I feel are worth it if you're serious about the game, or at least want a lasting investment. With the old CCM or Bauers that everyone used they sucked with the all-metal blade/holder setup. You had to pretty much buy a new pair of skates with that setup. The newer skates all use holders where blades can be replaced if necessary. You could even have a second pair of blades and a screwdriver ready and change a blade in minutes if you nicked or broke one and needed to keep going. I felt good about these knowing they were not a standard off-the-shelf skate and likely received some decent attention being they were ordered by a pro player. I still choked at paying $325 for a pair of skates though, ouch.

·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol. No, I just work hard to try and make it. But the little one suddenly decided she wanted to try and ice skate. She loved it, so I got some inexpensive Bauer 75's on eBay for her at 1/2 price too. And a kid's hockey stick. Once her skating comes around a little I'll see if she likes the hockey end of things. She's built like me... not real tall but fairly muscular for her size. She'd be a great right defense(wo)man. :) I'm hoping to find some deals on used shin guards and elbow guards yet too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.