Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big tires and 29" are still getting it together. While the new WTB 2.3 is narrower then my (26) x 2.125 Geax I am lusting after a bigger tire.
As Geax is not stepping up to the plate (yet that I know) to make some meat for 29" 's. And Richey has steped away from the plate. I have been pondering the so called 28" x 2.35" Big apple from schwalbe. Now I know this a slick, what I don't know is the tread depth. My thought is to take a tire grover and cut my own knobs. Any thoughts?

Any body have a big apple? how big is really? on what rim? And how thick is the rubber on the carcass?

Thanks Keener

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Wow!

Keener said:
Big tires and 29" are still getting it together. While the new WTB 2.3 is narrower then my (26) x 2.125 Geax I am lusting after a bigger tire.
As Geax is not stepping up to the plate (yet that I know) to make some meat for 29" 's. And Richey has steped away from the plate. I have been pondering the so called 28" x 2.35" Big apple from schwalbe. Now I know this a slick, what I don't know is the tread depth. My thought is to take a tire grover and cut my own knobs. Any thoughts?

Any body have a big apple? how big is really? on what rim? And how thick is the rubber on the carcass?

Thanks Keener
Ambitious project!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
29Inches said:
Ambitious project!

I have filled 55 gal drums with rubber from monster truck tires , small garbage cans from 16 x 3.5 motor cycle tires (fit on 20" BMX rims)
by those standards this looks doable. And it would shave some weight!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I've had the same idea when I first got my Big Apples 2.5 years ago, but due to lack of tire trimming skills, I never really tried. i did start on shaving off all the rubber from a BA2.35, and it seemed like quite a lot. Maybe 2mm. If you could manage to hack out the tread pattern of a Fast Fred, of course less sideknobs, that'd be golden.

I've always wondered why tire manufacturers keep building complete tire molds to even be able to try a new tread. Why not make one base tire with 10mm of rubber on it, that can be hand or CNC cut away? Big start investment, but after that, you can test a tire before you make the $$$$ mold. You could also easily incorporate various tread designs and variations in one single CNC'd tire, ride it over various types of mud, and see which sheds best. Easier than making 10-30 different tire molds and ride them over the same trail, although that is much more fun.

On a dune trail system here in the Netherlands, mud is an extremely rare occurance. Serious elevation though, and nice singletrack. Locals ride their Schwalbe Supermoto's over it, Big Apple's with modern casing and compound. So the Big Apple by design is not totally incapable. One winter I often trained in on sandy hills (not recent sea dunes though), and as a rear, the BA really did what I needed it to do. Extreme plush of course, great rolling, and for typical XC riding over dry and sandy trails, enough grip and traction to not hold up anyone, or be dropped by anyone on 26"ers. In one low-key race, the BA saved my untrained butt and I managed to ride in the leading group until I flatted my front twice (Nano, stoopid light tube).

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
I have the BA 2.35 specs on my tire site. The base rubber is not thick enough to cut a knobby tread into it.

It is a very large tire though. We need to convince Schwalbe to put a full knob tread on this casing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts