Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are pretty quiet over on the catch all great plains board, so IO figured I'd pose the question where there's a bir more traffic.

Anyone do any riding up in the Black Hills? The wife and i are headed there next weekend, and although I know a lot about the area, i know very little about riding there. We'll be camping in the Custer State Park area, and head into Rapid for day. Anyone have any firsthand info?

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
not firsthand, but I ran into the guy on the trails yesterday who runs this race,:

http://www.blackhills.com/ridgeriders/

He suggested riding out of spearfish, apparently good bikeshop there to get trail beta from. Planning to go soon there myself, so do me a favor, map it all out, and get some good info to pass onto me. :D

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard about that race, one more thing to do, one of these days. You want me to map out directions to the places I used to live, schools I went to, my local bmx track? A Debaser history tour?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
yeah i have been there....

there are some sweet trails there ....it has been a few years since then ..but the Cenntennial Trail sounds familliar and there are many more there .. way woodsy though. Call Western Sprirt Cycling they took me there and might share the trails they take clients on...

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
Here's a couple suggestions . . .

A couple years ago I stopped in the black hills on a cross country triip. Fortunately, I had the bike with me. I got one good day of riding in before I ahd to break camp and move on. I rode a combination of three loops: Rimrock Trail, Little Spearfish Trail, and Old Baldy. I rode there primarily because I could access them from my campground. There was one very technical, sustained climb, one very technical downhill (I walked a bit), and a whole lot of absolutely superior singletrack in between. Each trail alone is no big deal, but when combined, you get a pretty epic ride. The scenery was excellent. However, these trails will be a bit of a drive from Custer State Park (they're closer to Spearfish). The 111 mile Centennial Trail runs through Custer, so that would be your easiest access. I hiked a different portion of the Centennial Trail, but it seemed like okay singletrack. I would recommend stopping at the first forest service office you see as you come in to the area. They usually have a bunch of little tri-fold brochures on area trails which can really help. If you get up north, the bike shop in Spearfish is pretty helpful as well.

Ride hard and have fun!
Fischman

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I stopped in at this shop and the guy there gave me lots of ideas:

Acme Bicycles
4258 Canyon Lake Drive
Rapid City, SD 57702
Tel: 877 520 3731

He's a Santa Cruz dealer (I remember the sweet red Bullit in the shop) so unlike most bikes stores who sell comfort bikes, he was into the riding we all do here on MTBR.

That said, my fiancee and I rode around a reservoir trail. About ten miles of up and down, nice, swoopy singletrack. I'd recommend it. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name though. It wasn't far from RC, maybe 30 min drive.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
prolly sheraton or pactola.

Someone associated w/that shop pm'd me an invite to stop in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.