Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a post in xc racing about cooking healthy meals for recovery and overall nutriontion thought i would get it going in the passion forum. I am a corporate chef and cooking all day, then coming home to train leaves little time for any lengthy meals. Never really feel like cooking anything by dinner time. I live on tuna fish, pasta, oatmeal, cottage cheese, olive oil, protien bars and shakes, through in some veggies and thats about it. Canned tuna doesnt just have to be mayo and bread. Throw in some hot sauce, fresh herbs, chickpeas or white beans, lemon juice, olive oil, diced pickles, capers, olives, raisins or dried apricots and you have a very nice meal that takes minutes to make. Lets here some of your favorite snacks/meals.

dt3

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The thread in the XC racing forum was asking for healthy cheap meals. Sounds like the chef has some tuna conctions that would be good to add. I can see the ingredients you mention but can't come up with a whole meal from it.

My cheapest meals are always left overs. If I eat leaft overs, it is essentially a free meal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Second on the hummus. I keep a fresh supply about 50 weeks out of the year.

Some things I really like (and are very easy and quick):
Kasha (boiled buckwheat) with sharp cheese.
Oatmeal with anything, more or less.
Steamed whatever is in season with quinoa.
Classic PB&J.
Toasted pita with greens, nuts, dried fruit, and plain yogurt garnish.
Living in Florida, all citrus.
All tea all the time.
No meat.

Beeer. Chocolate.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Panini and Burritos

Two of my favorites:

Breakfast burritos (anytime of day)
Paninis... I've been hooking up some Cubano variations

..if you like hummus, then make falafel (sp?).. you can make a ton of hummus and falafel at the same time... falafel freezes well. You can bake them (brush with olive oil) if you don't want fried.

Nuked frozen veggies (spinach, broc, etc.)... I know there is something about whether they are as good as fresh, but I usually just don't have the time.

I am usually liking what I cook more when I have fresh herbs around... this time of year doesn't help with that.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Lots of Hummus, Dubliner Cheese, and gas. Lots and lots of gas!

Actually, I eat salmon maybe 3x a week. Sometimes have leftovers. I keep the skin sometimes and make salmon skin rolls with a red pepper.brown sugar glaze/cucumber/carrot whatever.

Salsa and Guacamole is also good, and keeps a few days (the salsa gets better, and it takes a few seconds to chop up more fresh avocado).

Fresh pasta and premade sauce (pesto, vodka etc--make a bunch of sauce and freeze it in small containers) is a ready made meal in 5-6 minutes. Add fresh bread and spinach (cooked in the pasta, or fresh salad) and you are done.

The after ride pre-meal (if I have done a big ride) is usually a shake of some sort. Banana and some type of whey (milk, ice cream, etc), possibly blue berries or strawberries if they are in season.

If these fail, its cereal baby!!! Remember lunch should be the big meal anyway :)

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
-Dress up frozen vegetables by sauteing some onion and garlic in chili oil (olive oil with several tbls of red pepper flakes in the bottle) then adding the frozen ones to the pan to cook them (instead of microwaving)

-Favorite thing immediately post-ride: unsweetened soy or almond milk, vanilla whey protein, and chocolate malt Ovaltine

-Like everyone else, I keep hummus in the fridge. I also make up a batch of curry brown rice and lentils (complementary proteins ;)) Cook brown rice in vegetable broth for 30 minutes, then add an equal amount of lentils and a big spoonful of curry paste and cook for another 25 minutes.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
Here are some old standbys that I've been using for a long time:
Chili - ratio of beans to beef is about 3:1, if i use extra-lean ground it's quite low in fat. It has to be made in advance, but keeps for a week in the fridge for a 5-minute reheat-and-eat
Chicken - chicken breast [skin removed, bone-in] doused in salt and pepper, cooked on the BBQ on high until the meat is somewhat carmelized and the rib bones are crunchy, typically accompanied by a baked potato [no sour cream or bacon bits]. 20 minutes from fridge to plate.
Green beans - Boil beans in salted water until el dente, drain. Saute fresh minced garlic in a bit of olive oil, add 1 part sesame oil, 3 parts soya sauce and a dash of sugar, boil it, add cooked beans, toss to coat, serve.
Omelets - Fill with whatever floats your boat. Fridge to plate in 15 with toast on the side.
PB sandwich - I skip the J 'cause I'm a bit hypoglycemic, and I hate sugar crashes
Cheerios - with that super-thick Omega-3 and fiber-enhanced unsweetened soy milk
Tuna Surprise - Cook rice, partially drain can of tuna, dump tuna onto hot rice, transfer some of tuna onto floor for cats, cover remaining tuna with slices of very sharp aged cheddar, nuke for 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbling on top

Salt, fat, complex carbs and ideally some protein - that's what keeps me going.

·
Registered
984 Posts
i'm big on trader joe's frozen veggie section. i made some simple fajitas lately.
bag of fire roasted peppers and onions sauted in a little olive oil or canola.
saute up some chicken breasts strips seasoned with your choice of mexican seasoning. place veggies and chicken on flour tortilla with a few shakes of hot sauce. ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Damn, I am glad I don't eat with some of you guys, I'd starve to death.

Not a chef but I love to cook. Been making chinese and thai lately when time crunched. Made a pork pad thai a couple days ago that was sensational even though I had to substitute mai fun for pad noodles, left it mildly spicy for the wife and one daughter while my other daughter, son and I added a bit of chile paste to taste. 15 minutes to cook, all fresh ingredients. A stir-fry is even faster if you put the rice on first.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes the tuna is good, i am single so dont have to prepare for a whole family so that "meal" is something i can make and get down in very little time. I guess meal is very subjective, no sides or desserts to go with. I do consume about 6 or 7 small meals a day so this is one of my favorites. I had steak fajitas last night which is alot of food for me to eat in one sit, and was stuffed. Luckily i did a long training ride earlier in the day so was needed.

A nice hummus recipe for all you hummus lovers.

2 cans chickpease, 1/2 cup olive oil, teaspoon cumin, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup chopped italian parsley, 1 roasted red pepper (can be bought or if you dont want to do it yourself, 1/4 cup roasted garlic (garlic gloves in olive oil cook slowly until tender about 20 min). Salt and pepper to taste. Put everything in food processor or a good blender, note ive burnt out blenders making hummus so make sure its a powerful one. The kitchen aid from walmart will not make it through the ordeal. If the mixture is too thick add more oil as it blends and becomes more viscous. Good luck enjoy.

·
Registered
984 Posts
chick pea salad-
1 can of chick peas, 1 red bell pepper bite size pieces, diced red onion, chopped fresh basil, combine dressing of 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and mix up up into dressing, pour and mix all together. salt and pepper to taste.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Eat to ride or Ride to eat

HSMITH said:
Damn, I am glad I don't eat with some of you guys, I'd starve to death.

+1 to that

As a Chef I really wonder why people choose to eat food that doesn't taste good. We try to stay away from processed foods (except donuts, pizza and the occasional run through McDonalds for the kids) and generally try to buy as much local as possible and eat what is in season. Usually the less you need to do with a food product the more expensive it is (TV dinners or Boneless skinless chcken breast) and the more preparation involved the less expensive it will become. With some easy planning and preparation techniques we always eat good. We had stuffed pork tenderloin with a dijon sauce, roast mult couloured fingerling potatoes (with sea salt and cracked pepper) sweet potatoes and green beans on Sunday and fed 6 people for less than $15 total which is about $2.75 per person. Who can't afford that.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,917 Posts
Okay, here is a kick ass classic Italian recipe. Its super fast, simple, fairly cheap and makes people think you know what your doing...

Whores Spaghetti or eh Puttanesca. This is a simplified version passed down from Grandma directly from Northern Italy..

What you need:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil ~ 5 Table Spoons
Garlic ~ 4/5 cloves
Anchovy Fillets ~ 4/5
Capers ~ 4 Tea Spoons
Black Olives pitted, slightly chopped or ripped ~ 15/20 or so (oil cured better, Kalamata, Gaeta etc) Not the Californa Black in a can. Think Olive Bar, the ones with garlic and wrinkly looking work great. CVS stocks these for some reason and much cheaper.

Heat Oil in frying pan ~low/medium heat
Add garlic ~ approx 1 minute, careful do not over brown the garlic, just barley golden - stir
Add anchovy's, olives & capers - stir.
Cook for approx 4-5 mins or so, stirring occasionally.

Good with any type of spaghetti and some grated parmigiano.....mix it in the pasta like a pesto sauce.

Adjust ingredients as you desire. The olive oil is an ingredient, dont skimp.. The more classic Puttanesca has tomatoes and crushed pepper usually, this is the super fast version. Stores great and better the next day.

Side Note: I grew up on home made hummus, definitely get a food processor, even a small one if you can. The blender just doesn't cut it especially the basic models most people have. Try it with some Tahini (sesame paste) blended in sometime as well....dang Im hungry now!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RipRoar said:
Okay, here is a kick ass classic Italian recipe. Its super fast, simple, fairly cheap and makes people think you know what your doing...

Whores Spaghetti or eh Puttanesca. This is a simplified version passed down from Grandma directly from Northern Italy..

What you need:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil ~ 5 Table Spoons
Garlic ~ 4/5 cloves
Anchovy Fillets ~ 4/5
Capers ~ 4 Tea Spoons
Black Olives pitted, slightly chopped or ripped ~ 15/20 or so (oil cured better, Kalamata, Gaeta etc) Not the Californa Black in a can. Think Olive Bar, the ones with garlic and wrinkly looking work great. CVS stocks these for some reason and much cheaper.

Heat Oil in frying pan ~low/medium heat
Add garlic ~ approx 1 minute, careful do not over brown the garlic, just barley golden - stir
Add anchovy's, olives & capers - stir.
Cook for approx 4-5 mins or so, stirring occasionally.

Good with any type of spaghetti and some grated parmigiano.....mix it in the pasta like a pesto sauce.

Adjust ingredients as you desire. The olive oil is an ingredient, dont skimp.. The more classic Puttanesca has tomatoes and crushed pepper usually, this is the super fast version. Stores great and better the next day.

Side Note: I grew up on home made hummus, definitely get a food processor, even a small one if you can. The blender just doesn't cut it especially the basic models most people have. Try it with some Tahini (sesame paste) blended in sometime as well....dang Im hungry now!
tahini yes thats what i forgot get it in there...Puttanesca i love it its great the literal italian translation in Puttana which means whore. The whores would come lookiong for scraps and use anything leftover to make the sauce but its great. A whore's sauce as its sometimes called its delicious. Good post funny when the aristocrats go to manhattan to puttanesca and have no idea what the word means. You just ate a whores sauce...love it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.