Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Your bike sucks
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for riders who have accomplished longer mtb 'bike packing' trips (100mi or more). I need to pick some brains on doing a long, solo trip over several weeks (2-3 weeks). Anyone have resources/links/etc?

I'm trying to gather info on equipment, packing, realistic goal setting, etc. Also, anything specific on the Colorado trail will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

C.

·
ceteris paribus
593 Posts
I've never bikepacked, but I've done plenty of backpacking.

Here's a couple of things that might help either way.

Take a hamac, that can be a life saver at the end of the day.
Take chlorine pills, you find them at any drugstore, they're used for puryfing water.
tiamin (vitamin B1) pills, take one per day. Mosquitoes hate the way it smells, or the way you smell after you take it for several days...

·
Registered
174 Posts
My friend and I used to bike pack back in the 80s with 10 speeds. It was awesome and I would like to do it again with mountain bikes. I found a cool book that may give you insight or inspiration. It was published in 2001 so many things may be dated but there are some great pictures etc. "Classic Mountain Bike Rides" "Thirty of the worlds most spectacular trails", general editor Nicki Crowther, isbn 0-8212-2703-3. Published by Bullfinch Press of Little, Brown and Company. You may want to try amazon.com, I have excellent luck with books through them.

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts