Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am 6' 7", 240 lbs and ride an XL Trance X. I love it. My only wish is that they made an xxl because I do have alot of seatpost exposed. I think the bike says that it is for up to 6' 5". Solid ride though, no fears of breaking the frame, though I have destroyed most components. That was my fault not the bikes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I am looking at a older Trance 4 that I could get in fairly low cost. I was just wondering what the climbing would be like compared to a hardtail. Like if you say a hardtail is a 10 then it would be an "X"

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a 06 trance(the 4.2) version. More like 4" max It;s a great pedaling bike and depending on what you run for a front fork(I hated the 100mm)

I've used a 120mm and a 140mm and think the bike comes alive with a little longer travel fork on it. The 140mm rocks but does suffer a little on the climbs.

I will say am coming in at almost 300lbs(6'2") and have a 20" frame. The Fox float r that was stock could not handle me and my weight. I was going to send it into Push but ended up getting a Marzocchi air 3pl instead and that's been working great.

I'm more of a FR style rider and the trance took just about everything I thru at it. I will say the bearings in the 05,06 and 07 ssucked and within 6 months I replaced them with Enduro bearings($40.) problem solved.

So, still have the frame but going to try out a Cannondale prophet this year (5.5") frame with a 140mm front fork.

Probably going to keep the Trance thuogh just in case.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm 6'6", 210-220lbs kitted out and I had a 08 trance x with 36 talas. Worked a lot better with the fox fork for my weight and style of riding. The suspension is good and very efficent and the 08's had a long head tube which was good for getting the right bar height. Overall at my height and weight a good bike for aggressive xc type of riding with the odd small drop, wouldn't say it was up to am. At the time I also had a 6" bike and the way I had the trance set up there was only a couple of lbs between the two and I would have rather carried the extra weight for the extra travel.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm 6'1" 220 and have a large 07 Trance 1. Overall, it has been a great bike. I've had to upgrade wheels from the WTB laserdiscs which were laced with 28 spokes to Stan's arches with 32. Big difference. I also had the Fox RP23 pushed and that has been a big improvement. I'd love to put on a longer travel fork as some have mentioned -- the bottom bracket height is a bit low and the longer fork would help.

·
Fat guy on a bike
703 Posts
As a guy weighing around 3 bills, i avoided the tranceX for the 1.75" stroke air shock which gives it quite a high leverage ratio for the travel. so as the previous poster mentioned i'm not surprised the fox shock did not hold up at his weight.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Both

If it was an RP2 I'd say just PUSH it since the only real difference in the RP2 and RP23 is an extra setting (and 2010 has boost valve, but PUSHing would undo this I'm thinking). Maybe get a used RP2 or a 2009 RP23 and PUSH--with the big hit upgrade.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Push can do the big hit option for the float r. I spoke with them at length and the bigger problem is you could buy a new or used rp23 or rp2 but it's still valved for a 185 lb rider. so yes you can adjust compression but it's still going to be too soft.

I would recomend pushing the float r and get the bottom out bumper(big hit) the full tune should be around $189. That will be customed tuned for you (weight ) and riding style.

·
Registered
664 Posts
As tony mentioned, if you get the shock with more features, you might still want to have it PUSH'd, so that route could be more expensive.

On another level, the answer is at least partly based upon personal taste. Are you the sort of person who likes to play with settings or are you more 'set it and forget it'? If you aren't going to play with the settings, why get them?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi guys. Just had my fork and Float R Push'd. IMO, the Big Hit Kit wasn't needed. When you go the upgrade from just a rebuild (Factory Tuning System) the weight and riding style are taken into consideration on the work they do. Haven't bottomed out yet and have been trying to "push" the components since I received them. Great work and service by Push! Just my $0.02.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.