Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
They help pull sweat away from your skin, thereby aiding in cooling your body. I doubt they add any protection if you wreck your bike.

Just, please, for the love of God, don't get a bright yellow-greenish one like all the old farts on the rail-trails wear... :rolleyes:

G

·
they've also got at least one pocket in the back to stash your tools, energy bars, keys, wallet, ect in.

and a nice wool jersey is oh-so-comfortable albeit expensive.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
f3rg said:
They help pull sweat away from your skin, thereby aiding in cooling your body. I doubt they add any protection if you wreck your bike.

Just, please, for the love of God, don't get a bright yellow-greenish one like all the old farts on the rail-trails wear... :rolleyes:
Well the reason why I'm leaning toward not getting one is because I wouldn't want to feel like a sponsored poser -- so I definitely wouldn't get a yellow one. If the cooling benefit is big enough, I might get one that doesn't have huge brand writing on it -- any suggestions?

·
Keep pedaling...
281 Posts
bank5 said:
Well the reason why I'm leaning toward not getting one is because I wouldn't want to feel like a sponsored poser -- so I definitely wouldn't get a yellow one. If the cooling benefit is big enough, I might get one that doesn't have huge brand writing on it -- any suggestions?
Just get the cheapest one you can find.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You don't have to buy a "cycling" jersey. Just go to any sports store and pick up a moisture wicking t-shirt. Most all of Nike, Adidas, Reebok, etc shirts are moisture wicking nowadays. The only advantage a cycling jersey would offer are the pocket in the back and the zipper in the front for cooling.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
You can get non-cycling related shirts that pull sweat from your skin and won't make you look like a human NASCAR. I have a plain, navy blue Nike shirt I wear, but it lacks pockets (not that I'd use them anyway).

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Not all bike jerseys are created equal fabric-wise. If you want something made of a wicking material, you'll have to specifically look for that jersey before you pick the graphics/colors.
In warm weather I do like a wicking jersey, in cooler weather it matters less, in cold weather nothing beats wool. Pockets don't come on all of them either. Nice to hear someone doesn't want to buy something to be free advertising for the brand owner...it's one thing to wear a team jersey when you're on the team, a whole other thing when you are paying to wear advertising.

·
I win.
713 Posts
Honestly what I use are just some cheap walmart brand stretchy shirt.

Link

They're nice because you're not dropping big bucks on them, so if you rip one in a fall or it snags on a thorn it's no big deal.

G

·
ahhh, but i like the pockets in my jerseys! i also like the zipper in front because the climate here in northern california is somewhat unpredictable. warm on one hilltop but foggy, windy and misty on the other!

i'd recommend bellwether or pearl izumi if you want a reasonably priced synthetic jersey.

if you mail order, nashbar and performance often offer nice prices on non-billboard cycling clothes as well.

·
Registered
751 Posts
i use the nike and underarmour synthetic tech t-shirts you find at sporting goods stores for $20. they work exceptionally well and i don't look like a fool. as for the lack of a rear pocket, i have a camelbak

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Coincidentally, while reviewing my baggy shorts thread, I checked out the HossMTB.com to check out their short and came across their jerseys which I like. So I got to thinking about posting a thread asking for advice for shirt and low and behold here it is. :D

Now, I picked up 6 shirts for work by a company called Gorgonz. I bought them because some bikers said that they worked well for them (even though I wasn't into biking back then). I have to say that they work great. After working on a roof for over 25 years, I finally found a shirt that I can keep "on" while working. It literally keeps me cooler and it does dry in 15 minutes or so. I love them.

But, I got them too dirty to ride with (I have 2 that I've managed to keep clean so I ride with them for now). So, I'm looking for a nice jersey to ride with.

I think that moisture wicking shirts are worth the extra money. At least for me. They carry your body heat to the surface of the shirt the way sweat does for your body.

Of course I thought about UnderArmor gear, but I really like this Hoss jersey for about $30.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Heck Yes

How can anyone know you're a biker if you don't wear neon colored, logo plastered shirts ? :nono:

Myself, I get by with the standard Underarmour or G2 brands that run $9-10 at Walmart. Same wicking/cooling performance of a $50-100 shirt depending on the logo.

And, as was already said, a back pocket is worthless if your carrying a Camelback or any other BP. You're not a Mountain Biker unless you also carry a pack for the necessities for an 8 hr ride in the tundra.

G

·
onbelaydave said:
How can anyone know you're a biker if you don't wear neon colored, logo plastered shirts ? :nono:

Myself, I get by with the standard Underarmour or G2 brands that run $9-10 at Walmart. Same wicking/cooling performance of a $50-100 shirt depending on the logo.

And, as was already said, a back pocket is worthless if your carrying a Camelback or any other BP.
i disagree about the back pocket. i use a camelback MULE which has a pretty big zippered pocket along with a smaller one which i keep filled to capacity with tools, tubes (i carry two or three) and maps, ect. i keep my energy bars and Special Little Safety Kit in my jersey pockets.

BUT-this is all based on personal preference and you should buy what works for YOU.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TrekFan said:
i use the nike and underarmour synthetic tech t-shirts you find at sporting goods stores for $20. they work exceptionally well and i don't look like a fool. as for the lack of a rear pocket, i have a camelbak
Yeah, I do the same now. I might pick up a shirt from Performance to see if the front zipper and tighter fit feel cooler than the other type of synthetic t's.

·
1,534 Posts
pockets in the back aren't that useful if you have a camelback.

the moisture wicking properties help a ton, particularly in comparison to a cotton tshirt.
but like stated above...bike shirts aren't the only ones that do this.

i picked up a couple nike golf shirts at ross and they work perfectly.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I use a backpack every mtb ride so pockets in the rear I only use when I ride a road bike. The Hoss jersey I have doesn't have rear pockets but it does have a nice length neck zipper (for mikeb).

·
Registered
457 Posts
djp2k8 said:
You don't have to buy a "cycling" jersey. Just go to any sports store and pick up a moisture wicking t-shirt. Most all of Nike, Adidas, Reebok, etc shirts are moisture wicking nowadays. The only advantage a cycling jersey would offer are the pocket in the back and the zipper in the front for cooling.
i use the wal-mart branded stuff .. or ones from academy sports ... both are sub 15$ range .. and work fine for keeping the sweat off ... but on a hot enough day sometimes i prefer cotton ... it seems to keep my body cooler as long as i keep moving and wind blowing over the sweat soaked material ...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.