Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought. It seems a belt driven bike would be preferable to a chain driven one in sandy conditions.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. As I marinate on it, it seems like any drivetrain would suffer in sandy conditions. I don't know if a belt drive would be more durable or just more expensive to replace.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Gate"s Belts do break. A belt breaking is a very bad thing for us. The positives for belts are beat out by the negatives for adventure riding in every way. I would never run a belt on a fat bike, ever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have any pictures. The belts break pretty clean though.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
treks newly launched belt drive `soho` and `district` town bikes are now on sale,what i liked was the nexus hubbed belt drive on the district
http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/just-in-trek-soho-and-district-urban-bikes-22067?img=11&pn=just-in-trek-soho-and-district-urban-bikes&mlc=news%2Farticle

im up for trying that on my alfine hub gear if available to buy once i get the wheel laced up for the pugsley soon,that would be a great set up for beach riding,i find the problem with chaindrive is using dry lube is fine until you ford water then it washes off,will a belt drive be robust enough?,i believe so but only if it dosnt perish with salt water,belt drive would also be super smooth - ideal for shifting when spinning over really soft sand and mudflats and you dont want to break traction,
im never that far from home if it did eventully fail but i guess in an adventure life or death situation where a chain is repairable the chain will always be better,

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
ck, you need a special dropout or chainstay in order to be able to mount the belt. it's one continuous loop, so there needs to be some way to get it "into" the rear triangle. it wont work on a stock pugs.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
ah oh course i forgot about that!!!!! :rolleyes:
orange made a bolt on chainstay to get round that,maybe when i win the lottery and order that moots or jones ti fatbike frame i will get that specified,oh well back to grinding chains for now...!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts