Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
No known cure
4,066 Posts
Wearing earbuds or not letting me pass in a race, then finding me and complaining about me buzzing your back tire. Tourists too.

I'm no saint though. I have my dog off leash on trail, loud hubs, build and ride user generated trails and ride faster than I should on multi use trails.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Loud talkers. I don't know what it is with some people but their normal voice volume is close to a yell. They can be four switchbacks above or below you yet you can still follow their entire report as they tell their riding buddy what they have been doing for the last month or what is going on at their job.

Trailhead slowpokes. When I get to a trailhead, I change my shoes, take my bike off its rack, put a helmet on, start an app on my phone, and start riding. It takes a few minutes. Then there is getting to a trailhead right after some trailhead slowpokes. No problem, I think, I'll just wait for them to get going so I can ride in peace and solitude. The group decides arriving at a trailhead is the perfect time to spend thirty or forty minutes talking about god knows what as their preparation to ride is done in slow motion. Inevitably when I finally decide I have had enough, I'll just go. That's when the group sets off one minute later, forcing me to push harder than I want. Let them pass and they seem to slow down so you feel like you are effortlessly dawdling behind them. And there always seems to be a loud talker in the group.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Trailhead slowpokes. When I get to a trailhead, I change my shoes, take my bike off its rack, put a helmet on, start an app on my phone, and start riding. It takes a few minutes. Then there is getting to a trailhead right after some trailhead slowpokes. No problem, I think, I'll just wait for them to get going so I can ride in peace and solitude. The group decides arriving at a trailhead is the perfect time to spend thirty or forty minutes talking about god knows what as their preparation to ride is done in slow motion. Inevitably when I finally decide I have had enough, I'll just go. That's when the group sets off one minute later, forcing me to push harder than I want. Let them pass and they seem to slow down so you feel like you are effortlessly dawdling behind them. And there always seems to be a loud talker in the group.
This drives me insane. I have invited people from work and/or friends who are very casual riders out for a spin, and it always come back to bite me. I am fine riding slow for people who don't ride often, or stopping for 10-15 minutes while they catch their breath and eat something. For some reason lingering at the TH because of BS just drives me insane though. If we set a meetup time of 3pm, that doesn't mean show up to the TH at 3:15 and announce to everyone that you need to tinker with your bike because it's not shifting right. Or you need to lube your chain. Or you need to put laces in your new shoes.

I have had this conversation with my wife many times, but I think it's a generational thing. Most other millennials I know consider the rest of the world to be on their time. I have a really hard time with it, not just riding but in most situations. I am a very prompt person and when people lolligag, show up super late without texting or try to change plans at the last minute it makes my blood pressure spike. I try to be understanding, but at some point you're just wasting other peoples time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Most other millennials I know consider the rest of the world to be on their time.
I am a very prompt person and when people lolligag, show up super late without texting or try to change plans at the last minute it makes my blood pressure spike. I try to be understanding, but at some point you're just wasting other peoples time.
Millennial here. Sounds like you and I should ride together. No one I ride with seems to give a **** about being punctual or considerate about others’ time. Glad to know I’m not the only one!

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
I encounter people of all ages at work. The elderly and dentists’ spouses are the worst about arriving on time.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,194 Posts
Overstating the steepness of a climb.

“...3,000ft, 15% climb...”

Show me. Doesn’t exist, in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Overstating the steepness of a climb.

“...3,000ft, 15% climb...”

Show me. Doesn’t exist, in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think we may just such a monster in WA. I checked and it's 3,300 ft. at an 11% grade. Sort of close. There's a trail next to that climb that is 3,209 feet at about a 21% grade, but I don't think anyone climbs it.

I did that beast many years ago and doubt I could do it again at my age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
People. Especially those contented people like Roge. Why won't they tell me their secret?
Over here for me it's lack of trail etiquette, if you are faster I'll let you by, if I'm faster let me by. And don't block the bloody trail.
Mind you, my best (only?) manual was straight over 2 bikes left across a very narrow winding fast singletrack whilst the owners were having a sandwich.
Me and the family are probably emigrating to Iowa in the next couple of years, so I'm learning lots on this thread!
Cheers ;)

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
451 Posts
kids whose parents allow the kids to cut the line in front of everybody, and then get upset cause you started the trail when they were 10ft from the trailhead.
TL;DR: trail karens/kyles

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I did an xc race a year or 2 back for shits and giggles.
Many of the racers were exceedingly slow on the downs. Further more they would trundle at snail pace on the down and refuse to move of over for me to pass on the downs. They would wait to the bottom of the hill when it flattened out to move over for me to pass.... Grrrr that was no use to me. I need to make gains on the down as I was rolling 160/170 enduro bike.

I ended up placing 3rd which was good. But had the slow xc riders allowed me to pass on the downs i would have gotten 2nd.....

·
CEO Product Failure
1,561 Posts
I (sort of) have a solution: when you encounter this situation and are riding a loop (or even an out-&-back), reverse directions. Trail bottle necks have long been my #1 pet peeve. While I am very happy and able to lend a hand with mechanical or first aid, that doesn't mean I want to ride with anyone. If you need to pass me on a trail, I'm happy to stop and let you by. I would expect the same from other users. Unfortunately, this situation has only gotten so much worse due to increased trail users since the start of the pandemic.

I'm happy people have discovered nature and are enjoying it on foot or bike. However, please don't be that oblivious, narcissistic douche-nozzle who has zero regard for others' experiences. I promise you, if I you pass me (or vice versa) it will only take 30 seconds and I will do my damn best not to encounter you again.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I had a similar experience, if them sloggy enduro bro's had allowed me to pass on the climbs I would have gotten 1st, maybe even better.
If it was me, i would have allowed you to pass on the up. Then blazed passed you on the down....... unless of course you refused to yeild.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I did an xc race a year or 2 back for shits and giggles.
Many of the racers were exceedingly slow on the downs. Further more they would trundle at snail pace on the down and refuse to move of over for me to pass on the downs. They would wait to the bottom of the hill when it flattened out to move over for me to pass.... Grrrr that was no use to me. I need to make gains on the down as I was rolling 160/170 enduro bike.

I ended up placing 3rd which was good. But had the slow xc riders allowed me to pass on the downs i would have gotten 2nd.....
Same experience here. Long sections of singletrack where it would have been possible to go twice as fast, but riders refused to allow me pass. I was never a bad climber, but in XC I was never in the top 10 of the pack. On the downs, I never witnessed another XC rider who knew how to descend quickly. I got tired of XC racing very soon, as a result.

I did win one XC race once, and it was entirely because it was just a single, huge lap that climbed for the first half and then descended all the way back to the start. I pre-rode the course, and on race day just killed myself to stay in the top 10 on the climb. At the top, I said goodbye to them and that was that.🤣

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
The last xc race I ever did involved a long section of singletrack that went through narrow manzanita branches. I was following behind a train of riders ahead but there was nowhere to get around (due to the brush). A faster rider came up behind me and asked to pass. He got upset after I didn't pull aside but I'm not sure where he wanted me to go since the track was only one bike wide. Hurl myself with my bike into the brush? I'm all done with xc racing.

A peeve of mine is going on a casual group ride in which someone gets testosteroney and decides it's a big competition. It kinda ruins the vibe.

On trails that see a decent amount of traffic it's a peeve of mine when my group wants to go-go-go "to stay ahead of traffic." There's always someone up ahead though. Everything feels rushed, almost panicked, and we miss a lot of the environs just to finish as fast as possible.

161 - 180 of 214 Posts