Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Single Track Mind
682 Posts
I don't get annoyed all that easily out on the trail. I'm pretty chill, but like many, the people who wear their ear buds and have no idea what's going on around them bugs me, but what I really hate is when the person who couldn't hear me basically screaming bike back for the 5th time, jumps out of their skin and then starts screaming about how inconsiderate I am!!!

Or then there is the Karen with her dog off leash. From 50 yards away, this dog comes tearing after me, hackles up barking up a storm. I dismount because the dog is a Border Collie mix with the intercept angle on me. I stand behind my bike using it to defend myself from the dog who is still trying to attack me while Karen, taking her oh so sweet time, lumbers over. Does she even apologize to me? Hells no, she begins to berate me for distracting her dog and provoking him to attack me!!!!!

As for bike riders, I usually have no issues with them. Most of us are fairly considerate just out for a good time, but two different situations come to mind.

1) After my broken leg a few years back, I lost a lot of fitness and was/am a slower climber than I am accustomed to being. On day while out rehabbing, I was really pushing myself on a pretty basic trail, when this younger guy, being very polite I will add, says "Excuse me sir. I'm coming up behind you." Since we are at a wide spot in the trail, I pull as far to the uphill side of the trail as I can, leaving a ton of space for him to pass. Only he doesn't pass. He just keeps saying "excuse me, sir. Can I get by?" I'm like, "Dude, there is a ton of room, just go by." He then tells me to stop and get out of the way because he's not comfortable passing on the downhill side of the trail. Keep in mind that the trail is 3' wide and smooth at this point and I was all the way over. I mean, I would take more space dismounting.

A heated verbal exchange ensued... I can't relate the subtle intricacies of that exchange here...the MTBR filters might melt down!

2) This next one happens to me more than any other. I guess as a bigger guy (6'2"/ 220 lbs), skinny riders see me and always assume I am slow. Like I said earlier, I might be slower now than I was in my prime while climbing, but I haven't lost all that much while descending. But anyhow, one particular moment stands out. I was descending a particularly fast (~25 mph), buff trail. As I hit a little root kicker side hip, I land to see three guys <50 yards away just standing in the trail, which is more like a saddle intersection where they are. So, they have plenty of room to move out of the way. I mean, like 40 people could be standing there and not be in the way. But what do they do? They all scramble to get on their bikes before I reach them, shouting, "Let's go!! Hurry! Hurry!". Of course they are all in the wrong gear, and I'm on them in a matter of seconds. They are pedaling furiously to the spot where the saddle narrows into the trail. I of course overtake take them and shoot by. Needless to say, I dropped them with a quickness. I could still see them winding around the upper switch backs by the time I got to the bottom 2 miles later.

Now, there are parts of this scenario I get. I get it if a bunch of young, fit people are taking a break and see an overweight, middle-aged guy leisurely making his way uphill and want to get out in front of me. No biggie. My ego broke at just about the same time my leg broke. Get out and hammer! I'll even cheer you on! But, to pull out in front of a person only to go way slower than that person is something I will never get.

Wow! That was a lot. It looks like I get way more annoyed than I actually do. I ride 5-6 days a week for thousands of miles a year and really only have a handful of annoying encounters during the year. The vast majority of people I meet are pleasant and respectful people just out to enjoy nature.

·
Trail Ninja
6,040 Posts
A common theme in this thread is that people are a buzzkill.
More like specific types of idiocy and immaturity/irresponsibility. It's like an incompatibility.

Some people are a bit more forgiving of certain kinds of stupidity, probably because they'd be harshly judging those they care for by the same standards.

Can't please everyone. The universal annoyance/pet peeve is probably seeing a "Trail closed (to cycling)" sign, especially if the reason for it is stupid.

·
Registered
181 Posts
More like specific types of idiocy and immaturity/irresponsibility. It's like an incompatibility.

Some people are a bit more forgiving of certain kinds of stupidity, probably because they'd be harshly judging those they care for by the same standards.

Can't please everyone. The universal annoyance/pet peeve is probably seeing a "Trail closed (to cycling)" sign, especially if the reason for it is stupid.
Well, you learn to put up with people, or end up institutionalized.
And sometimes you think you’ve seen enough (like oblivious trail users wearing earbuds) to be comfortable in judging others, and then...
I was riding along my favorite local trail,
which has unfortunately become completely overrun with hikers and runners, and came up behind a walker... with earbuds.
Started out with the usual , polite, call-outs.
The guy would just not acknowledge me or move over. This went on for several minutes
and I was getting very annoyed. And began
looking for places to use my hare-scramble
racing experience to put a pass on this jerk.
Finally we came to a tight switchback and he saw me and moved over. As I rode by,
I put my hand up and pointed to my ear...
and the dude erupted into one of the longest, loudest strings of profanity I’ve ever heard! Just completely unloaded on me, and just wouldn’t stop. Wtf?
I swear, I am one of the least confrontational people on earth, but something in me just snapped and I turned around and rode back, ready to rumble. I was pissed. This must have surprised him, because he suddenly shut up,
and then I started up with “what the _ is your _ ing problem you jackass”, etc.
He comes back with “you ___ ing jerk, didn’t you see the note on my back ?”, —and I detected at that moment a slight speech problem, right before he continued, “I’m deaf, you idiot. These aren’t earbuds,
they’ve hearing aids!! And again, “didn’t you see the note on my back?”, turning around and showing me. Ahhh.. ok. Well, crap, that changes things.
But, in my defense, the note was about the size of a small post-it note, written in small lettering...
I would have had to be uncomfortably close to him to read it, and honestly I never noticed it in the first place.
After we both calmed down, he explained the hearing aids were something supposed to pick up vibrations and give him a warning, or something like that. Evidently they didn’t work well.
Anyway, we went our separate ways after mutual apology, and I just chalked it up to
the weird and wacky shiite that happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, you learn to put up with people, or end up institutionalized.
And sometimes you think you’ve seen enough (like oblivious trail users wearing earbuds) to be comfortable in judging others, and then...
I was riding along my favorite local trail,
which has unfortunately become completely overrun with hikers and runners, and came up behind a walker... with earbuds.
Started out with the usual , polite, call-outs.
The guy would just not acknowledge me or move over. This went on for several minutes
and I was getting very annoyed. And began
looking for places to use my hare-scramble
racing experience to put a pass on this jerk.
Finally we came to a tight switchback and he saw me and moved over. As I rode by,
I put my hand up and pointed to my ear...
and the dude erupted into one of the longest, loudest strings of profanity I’ve ever heard! Just completely unloaded on me, and just wouldn’t stop. Wtf?
I swear, I am one of the least confrontational people on earth, but something in me just snapped and I turned around and rode back, ready to rumble. I was pissed. This must have surprised him, because he suddenly shut up,
and then I started up with “what the _ is your _ ing problem you jackass”, etc.
He comes back with “you ___ ing jerk, didn’t you see the note on my back ?”, —and I detected at that moment a slight speech problem, right before he continued, “I’m deaf, you idiot. These aren’t earbuds,
they’ve hearing aids!! And again, “didn’t you see the note on my back?”, turning around and showing me. Ahhh.. ok. Well, crap, that changes things.
But, in my defense, the note was about the size of a small post-it note, written in small lettering...
I would have had to be uncomfortably close to him to read it, and honestly I never noticed it in the first place.
After we both calmed down, he explained the hearing aids were something supposed to pick up vibrations and give him a warning, or something like that. Evidently they didn’t work well.
Anyway, we went our separate ways after mutual apology, and I just chalked it up to
the weird and wacky shiite that happens.
Good story, I suspect it'll be one of those stories that will stick with me for a long time, making me a little more conscientious when I ride up on someone. I'll probably look for a note now.

It reminded me of a time many years ago when I came up on another rider who was dealing with a flat. I asked if he had what he needed, he stammered and seemed like he was struggling so I stopped to help. Turned out he was fully capable of fixing it and had all the stuff to do it, but emotionally he was struggling. His dad had died the night before suddenly and he was out on a ride to help himself deal with the loss. I patched his tube and got him aired up while he sat against a tree and told me about his dad. We got back to the trailhead about the same time and he came over and thanked me for listening, said it really helped him.

·
change is good
3,113 Posts
I don't get annoyed all that easily out on the trail. I'm pretty chill, but like many, the people who wear their ear buds and have no idea what's going on around them bugs me, but what I really hate is when the person who couldn't hear me basically screaming bike back for the 5th time, jumps out of their skin and then starts screaming about how inconsiderate I am!!!

Or then there is the Karen with her dog off leash. From 50 yards away, this dog comes tearing after me, hackles up barking up a storm. I dismount because the dog is a Border Collie mix with the intercept angle on me. I stand behind my bike using it to defend myself from the dog who is still trying to attack me while Karen, taking her oh so sweet time, lumbers over. Does she even apologize to me? Hells no, she begins to berate me for distracting her dog and provoking him to attack me!!!!!

As for bike riders, I usually have no issues with them. Most of us are fairly considerate just out for a good time, but two different situations come to mind.

1) After my broken leg a few years back, I lost a lot of fitness and was/am a slower climber than I am accustomed to being. On day while out rehabbing, I was really pushing myself on a pretty basic trail, when this younger guy, being very polite I will add, says "Excuse me sir. I'm coming up behind you." Since we are at a wide spot in the trail, I pull as far to the uphill side of the trail as I can, leaving a ton of space for him to pass. Only he doesn't pass. He just keeps saying "excuse me, sir. Can I get by?" I'm like, "Dude, there is a ton of room, just go by." He then tells me to stop and get out of the way because he's not comfortable passing on the downhill side of the trail. Keep in mind that the trail is 3' wide and smooth at this point and I was all the way over. I mean, I would take more space dismounting.

A heated verbal exchange ensued... I can't relate the subtle intricacies of that exchange here...the MTBR filters might melt down!

2) This next one happens to me more than any other. I guess as a bigger guy (6'2"/ 220 lbs), skinny riders see me and always assume I am slow. Like I said earlier, I might be slower now than I was in my prime while climbing, but I haven't lost all that much while descending. But anyhow, one particular moment stands out. I was descending a particularly fast (~25 mph), buff trail. As I hit a little root kicker side hip, I land to see three guys
Now, there are parts of this scenario I get. I get it if a bunch of young, fit people are taking a break and see an overweight, middle-aged guy leisurely making his way uphill and want to get out in front of me. No biggie. My ego broke at just about the same time my leg broke. Get out and hammer! I'll even cheer you on! But, to pull out in front of a person only to go way slower than that person is something I will never get.

Wow! That was a lot. It looks like I get way more annoyed than I actually do. I ride 5-6 days a week for thousands of miles a year and really only have a handful of annoying encounters during the year. The vast majority of people I meet are pleasant and respectful people just out to enjoy nature.
1. Ahh, the Karens...
“You almost hit me” - “I stopped 15ft from you”
“You need a bell” - “I called out to you”
“ bikes don’t belong on this trail” - “bikers built this legal trail”

2. I size up the rider when it comes to passing. How relaxed the rider is, bike, and appearance of legs. I just stop if the successful pass is questionable. Except when I’m in a bad mood and going up hill

3. Us big boys don’t get no respect. All that mass on a AM 29er going downhill hill like a runaway locomotive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
I pick a trail away from people and road noise. Then I round a curve and here comes a rider blasting his music on speakers. WTF. I often listen to music when riding but with ear phones do only I can hear. Even if they are playing music you like (rare!) it ruins the experience. One other is rider(s) milling about the trail and the bottom of a steep downhill. Very upsetting cause I hate to brake.
This. Why do some people think that others want to go out in the woods to hear someone blasting a boombox?!!! It is just rude an inconsiderate.

With more people on the trails, it seems the manners have gotten worse on one hand and apologetic for no reason on the other. What happened to saying hello to others, a quick waive, or a head nod? I am not just talking about cyclists. That and please, please stop apologizing. I can't tell you the number of times I call out and someone will say sorry. Sorry for what, going out and enjoying the outdoors? Sorry that you are also using the trails? I don't know when sorry became the standard response to so many things.

I think I am just getting old and grumpy. I had a great ride the other day, only saw one other person. I was able to focus on yelling at myself, my poor climbing, and missed lines going down.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
The music out loud thing doesn’t bother me as long as they’re not following me. Usually it lasts about two seconds as we pass. I don’t understand why the people would prefer a boom box over earbuds or no music though. The sound quality must be pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Pet peeve from when I used to ride with other people:

Defined time to convene for a small group (<4). Somebody will invariably text/call that they're running a little late.

When they do arrive (and never at their stated late-arrival), they EAT THEIR BREAKFAST and get their sh!t together with no haste. We end up leaving about 45-minutes past our planned convene time.

This becomes a thing... not completely regularly, but always with the same people.
When I used to do group rides, we used the old rules that were used for road group rides. The ride leaves at 5 minutes after the designated time, no ifs ands or butts. If you aren't ready, you miss the ride or better pedal hard to catch up. Those that are habitually late will suddenly be on time.

My stepbrother was always habitually late for family events. Not 10 minutes, but 1-2 hours. It stopped when we had a gathering at my house. My wife told him ahead of time, if he was more than 15 minutes late, not to bother as the door would be locked and not opened (it was at the point where if we started at 4 p.m., my stepmother wanted to eat by 4:30 and was ready to go home at 5:30, she was nearly 80 and in poor health, so it made sense to conform to her timeline). My stepbrother knew my wife meant it. He and his partner were 20 minutes early.

It has taken me decades to learn, set expectations and follow through. When you do so, others will follow.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Good story, I suspect it'll be one of those stories that will stick with me for a long time, making me a little more conscientious when I ride up on someone. I'll probably look for a note now.

It reminded me of a time many years ago when I came up on another rider who was dealing with a flat. I asked if he had what he needed, he stammered and seemed like he was struggling so I stopped to help. Turned out he was fully capable of fixing it and had all the stuff to do it, but emotionally he was struggling. His dad had died the night before suddenly and he was out on a ride to help himself deal with the loss. I patched his tube and got him aired up while he sat against a tree and told me about his dad. We got back to the trailhead about the same time and he came over and thanked me for listening, said it really helped him.
Good for you. While seemingly small, it probably made a huge difference in that guys life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This. Why do some people think that others want to go out in the woods to hear someone blasting a boombox?!!! It is just rude an inconsiderate.
I'm with you on this one. There are a few regulars at a trail I frequent who have the bluetooth speaker hanging from their saddle rails and it's LOUD. The trails are packed pretty tight so I get to hear it for a while. One guy has quite the shuffle playlist going, I heard angry rap lead into old school country, then into metal before I could get out of earshot. Never got close enough to say something, guessing it won't make any difference anyway. I prefer to listen to the birds and crunch of the trail under my tires.

·
All fat, all the time.
8,704 Posts
If you guys are so bothered by group rides and the usual drama that occurs, why not ride alone or with only 1-2 other riders .

Anything more than 5 riders and it's usually a gong show no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
451 Posts

With more people on the trails, it seems the manners have gotten worse on one hand and apologetic for no reason on the other. What happened to saying hello to others, a quick waive, or a head nod? I am not just talking about cyclists. That and please, please stop apologizing. I can't tell you the number of times I call out and someone will say sorry. Sorry for what, going out and enjoying the outdoors? Sorry that you are also using the trails? I don't know when sorry became the standard response to so many things.

I think I am just getting old and grumpy. I had a great ride the other day, only saw one other person. I was able to focus on yelling at myself, my poor climbing, and missed lines going down.
eh, maybe some of canada's politeness got left behind from a visitor

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
eh, maybe some of canada's politeness got left behind from a visitor
It is funny, coming from the US, social etiquette in Canada is just different enough that it throws me off. Things like when getting in a small elevator, people don't say hi and don't engage in the idle stranger chit chat that is normal in the US. Neither is right, they are just different norms. I think it is because we are so similar, that we just expect everything to be the same, and are thrown off when things are different. That is in contrast to going to other countries on other continents, where you expect social norms to be different, so when you encounter them, just assume they are normal.

201 - 214 of 214 Posts