Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Trail Ninja
6,040 Posts
- Inadequate gear.

- Optimism.

- Perseverance, for the sake of perseverance.

Traits of systematic problems and failure.

I'll add that I dislike a sense of urgency, for the sake of urgency.

Guilty of it all myself, but feel like I at least moderate it well. Super annoying when people treat it as a sense of pride, and claim that it's an entitlement of freedom. Mindless, IMO.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,194 Posts
Same experience here. Long sections of singletrack where it would have been possible to go twice as fast, but riders refused to allow me pass. I was never a bad climber, but in XC I was never in the top 10 of the pack. On the downs, I never witnessed another XC rider who knew how to descend quickly. I got tired of XC racing very soon, as a result.

I did win one XC race once, and it was entirely because it was just a single, huge lap that climbed for the first half and then descended all the way back to the start. I pre-rode the course, and on race day just killed myself to stay in the top 10 on the climb. At the top, I said goodbye to them and that was that.🤣
Maybe try upgrading to race the fast people? The fast people will be faster than you on your enduro bike. But, of course, unless they've flatted or blown up, you won't see them after the first couple of minutes...

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
kids whose parents allow the kids to cut the line in front of everybody, and then get upset cause you started the trail when they were 10ft from the trailhead.
TL;DR: trail karens/kyles
You ride where people actually have gather to up at the beginning of a trail and wait in a line to go, like you're at an amusement park or the deli or something? That's messed up. Sounds like you need some more trails wherever you are.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Maybe try upgrading to race the fast people? The fast people will be faster than you on your enduro bike. But, of course, unless they've flatted or blown up, you won't see them after the first couple of minutes...
Not interested. Tried it; wasn’t for me. The terrain just wasn’t interesting or challenging, at any speed. FWIW the one enduro race I did had some boring stages too, but at least it had some good ones to balance it out. If I still cared about racing I’d keep doing DH and enduro.

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
Trailhead slowpokes. When I get to a trailhead, I change my shoes, take my bike off its rack, put a helmet on, start an app on my phone, and start riding. It takes a few minutes. Then there is getting to a trailhead right after some trailhead slowpokes. No problem, I think, I'll just wait for them to get going so I can ride in peace and solitude.
Do you sit in your car pouting and shoot them dirty looks, like for some reason they're supposed to be aware of your schedule, or GAF about it even if they were? How dare they spend their leisure time they way they want.

Pet peeve of mine? People that can't just do their own thing and not think everybody else needs to march to their drummer.

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
451 Posts
You ride where people actually have gather to up at the beginning of a trail and wait in a line to go, like you're at an amusement park or the deli or something? That's messed up. Sounds like you need some more trails wherever you are.
where you from? at gig harbor (360 park) there is a easy trail called juice box that everyone likes. gets backed up pretty quick

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
That could describe a bike park, in which case I treat it as a social gathering (or at least used to).

·
Trail Ninja
6,040 Posts
Man, I f'ing HATE optimism.
It could've been worse. Everything will be okay. Things always work out somehow. On the bright side, you aren't dead. Call yourself fortunate. You'll forget all that bad stuff in the morning. Sending you my thoughts and prayers.

There's that 1 video where a pro did huge hucks on an XC bike--you'll be fine, you got all that susp travel. That's what helmets are for, just go send it. Everyone starts somewhere and repeatedly failed; no one's perfect, but I believe in you.

Peer pressure. Rather people be more realistic and wise, or at least recognizing of mistakes and willing to learn from them. Optimistic types are often ill-prepared and have irresponsible attitudes, using perseverance to solve their problems. Pessimism is oddly encouraging to me. It gets me to check my preparations and my game plan, and determine if it's worthy, wanting to prove the guy wrong. Optimism pressures regardless if I am prepared. The responses afterward are predictable--either laughter/disappointment plus empty "soothing words", or taking credit for calling a successful outcome. To me, it's like they're suggesting: you first. Would prefer silence than useless cowards trying to add pressure. I'm not a reckless, carefree, ignorant happy-go-lucky person, so optimism is not what I want to hear. I do recognize that some people call that "living" as if they need thrills and excitement (letting Jesus take the wheel).

I see optimism in a lot of stuff, substituting for actual knowledge. People expecting loud freehub noise to alert other trail users, people expecting money thrown at expensive parts will result in parts that are both lightweight and strong/tough, people expecting cheap chinese no-name parts to be made in the same factory as famous name-brand and therefore be good enough... optimistic people would reason, what's the worst that can happen? Bones heal...

It's toxic to me when multiple optimistic people feed off each other. Can't think of anything but getting the F outta there, that it's a futile waste of time to bring reason in there, believing it to be idiocy that leads to eventual failure. Like I said, systematic problem... I'd prefer if there were fair reason behind every deliberate choice. Can fix that, but can't fix stupid. I could call out, "your rear tire looks a little low" and say I got a pump, but they'd optimistically say "it'll be okay". They'd mention to the group that I noticed it was low when it leads to a worse problem, as if I should have insisted and predicted they would not ride smoothly... people like to think it's harmless, but I see it as a burden on responsible people. Responsible people need maturity, resourcefulness, and patience to spare to handle this.

I think there is an actual way to fix them, but you essentially got to adopt them in "reparenting". It's taboo to shame them, unless you have established some sort of hierarchy and showed them that you are clearly their superior. Get them to "owe you". Question if they are being sarcastic if they say anything optimistic. Offer to buy them a meal and use the opportunity to subtly teach them wisdom. This only seems to make them properly behave in your presence though. They learn from following a superior's example; if they follow you and get hurt, you'd feel extra responsible/burdened.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Pet peeve from when I used to ride with other people:

Defined time to convene for a small group (<4). Somebody will invariably text/call that they're running a little late.

When they do arrive (and never at their stated late-arrival), they EAT THEIR BREAKFAST and get their sh!t together with no haste. We end up leaving about 45-minutes past our planned convene time.

This becomes a thing... not completely regularly, but always with the same people.

At a certain point we start b!tching-out-loud about the focker. No change in behavior.

Some people operate by being considerate and conforming to the norms of the group, so that they are not the point of resistance for everyone else. They prefer to not assert their presence. They do tend to get included into group activities, but rarely are they seen as principals... but are merely accessories.

And some people operate by testing the limits of what they can get away with... if one were to interpret this as a rational act, so they can map your response envelope. They also make themselves the center of attention, positive or negative. These are mild sociopaths, and they tend to be pretty successful in the world of management and business, as this person indeed was.

Pet peeve from yesterday:

Young woman slowly jogging in the middle of the singletrack with Airpods. Normally not a problem for anybody concerned, except this one was either blasting or totally in-the-zone(d-out). From behind, I roll up slowly (as I always do, because I make it a point to not startle anyone), and call out, "hello".

No response, slow jogging.

Now my front wheel is literally 8 feet behind her, at her pace. "Hello!"

Nothing. Is she ignoring me?

"Hello!!"

"Hello!!!"

"HELLO!!!!!" (This is a full yell.)

"HELLO!!!!!" (I can't yell any louder.)

She leaps around, startled. "Oh, I didn't hear you..."

"THANK YOU!!!!!" (Still in yelling mode. Which I guess makes sense even if I was thinking about it since she still had those Airpods in.)

facepalm (on the inside)

Not that this was the intent... but at least the obligate view was enjoyable. :devilish:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Several times this summer I had encounters with other riders on busy public park free trails who were visibly and verbally pissed that I, or anyone else, was in the way of their ride during the trail's peak time. I can only assume they are trying to beat Strava records on a Saturday afternoon. I have no problem with people passing me but be polite about it, we aren't racing here. I watched one of these guys pass a couple kids on on a downhill WITHOUT SAYING A WORD, took them completely by surprise. Most times they don't say a word to me (I don't ride with earbuds so I can hear), they just come right up on me and get so close that they nearly buzz my tire until I have a chance to move over, then they pass with a scowl or a curse, certainly no "thank you". If you're gonna go for KOM, maybe don't do it on Saturday afternoon...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Post up, I'd like to here if anyone has anything that they see people doing or have done themselves that just rubs you the wrong way. General annoyances people commonly do on the bike, and maybe things that typically annoy others that you are not so much bothered by.
For example, for some reason it annoys me when downhillers, or really any biker puts their foot down on the ground when cornering. I have no idea why, its just a strange thing that I dont very much care for. I realize it is necessary sometimes but for some strange reason it annoys me. I'd like to hear about other's annoyances! Post up please, whatever it may be!
I pick a trail away from people and road noise. Then I round a curve and here comes a rider blasting his music on speakers. WTF. I often listen to music when riding but with ear phones do only I can hear. Even if they are playing music you like (rare!) it ruins the experience. One other is rider(s) milling about the trail and the bottom of a steep downhill. Very upsetting cause I hate to brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Post up, I'd like to here if anyone has anything that they see people doing or have done themselves that just rubs you the wrong way. General annoyances people commonly do on the bike, and maybe things that typically annoy others that you are not so much bothered by.
For example, for some reason it annoys me when downhillers, or really any biker puts their foot down on the ground when cornering. I have no idea why, its just a strange thing that I dont very much care for. I realize it is necessary sometimes but for some strange reason it annoys me. I'd like to hear about other's annoyances! Post up please, whatever it may be!
Thanks! I have the same problem

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
where you from? at gig harbor (360 park) there is a easy trail called juice box that everyone likes. gets backed up pretty quick
New England.

I checked Juice Box; I wouldn't really consider that a "trail", more of a small practice jump line that people probably cycle over and over. So yeah,sounds like you're talking about the dirt equivalent of 'scooter kids' at skate parks, or little kids with clueless parents at pumptracks who just have no idea that your supposed to take turns when you've got small spot and a bunch of people who want to ride it and keep snaking everybody until someone either calls out their parents if they're really young, or gives a bit of a rub if they're not. :)

That place does look pretty damn cool. (y)

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
451 Posts
New England.

I checked Juice Box; I wouldn't really consider that a "trail", more of a small practice jump line that people probably cycle over and over. So yeah,sounds like you're talking about the dirt equivalent of 'scooter kids' at skate parks, or little kids with clueless parents at pumptracks who just have no idea that your supposed to take turns when you've got small spot and a bunch of people who want to ride it and keep snaking everybody until someone either calls out their parents if they're really young, or gives a bit of a rub if they're not. :)

That place does look pretty damn cool. (y)
yeah, i use it for a kind of warm up. it is freakin awesome (the whole trails system i mean)

181 - 200 of 214 Posts