Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a long shot, but does anybody happen to use a Pika Packworks travel case to carry their Altitude? I am building up a size medium right now and want to get a good-fitting travel case - it seems like the PP is dialed-in, but it is tough to determine what size to get from the bike geometry measurements (standard, stretch or 29er) - I don't necessarily just want to get the largest one b/c it will be protected better w/ a snug fit and the smaller the better in terms of transporting it, especially as luggage on a plane. I am concerned the 29er size will be turned away b/c it is so large.

Anyone have any experience or insight on this? Thanks in advanced.

Mountain Bike Size Chart | Pika Packworks

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
I've got a 26" Element 70 MSL and a standard sized Pika case that I originally bought for a 26" hardtail, it is a very snug fit for height and length, even with the 120mm suspension fork decompressed completely. It would have been a more comfortable fit in the Stretch model.

If you measure the frame as they show in the chart that will tell you what size to get. And measure your bike with the fork de-aired completely and with normal pressure. De-airing it lifts the rear dropouts so it might not help.

The Pika case has been completely airline proof so far (touch wood). And weighs much less than most other cases.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a 26" Element 70 MSL and a standard sized Pika case that I originally bought for a 26" hardtail, it is a very snug fit for height and length, even with the 120mm suspension fork decompressed completely. It would have been a more comfortable fit in the Stretch model.

If you measure the frame as they show in the chart that will tell you what size to get. And measure your bike with the fork de-aired completely and with normal pressure. De-airing it lifts the rear dropouts so it might not help.

The Pika case has been completely airline proof so far (touch wood). And weighs much less than most other cases.
Good stuff - thanks!

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Here's shots of the packed bike. In this situation turning the fork backwards made the bike longer because of the disc brake caliper. The 120mm travel bike really stretched the bottom corner of the Standard case. I use a pair of wheel bags to prevent any potential frame rub when it get's squeezed. You can see the 26" wheels do create a bulge on the bottom sides. I don't deflate the tires completely, I drop them to about 15 psi to act as bumpers. I bet you'll find that with the wheelbase and height of the Altitude, you'll end up in the 29er case.

The nice thing is with the light case and a carbon bike, I can pack the bike, shoes, helmet and empty Camelback into this case and it only weighs 40 pounds, so it goes as oversize luggage, but it is under 50 pounds, so there's no overweight charge on top of that.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts