Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mtbr rookie
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am interested in starting to ride and wondering what would be my best bet. I am 22 years old and have friends that ride often, meaning i will be riding often as well. I am 6'4 245 so i know i will need a XL size bike. my dilemma is i'm not sure if i should go with a 29er hardtail or going with a really cool bike that i really like.. the Trek Fuel EX 7.. I know its an expensive ride but the shop here offers free tune ups/adjustments for life. + i dont think i will ever need to upgrade if i go all out in the first place. please let me know if my logic is flawed.

Please any advice for a new rider on a option for a bike would be helpful. I want to be able to mainly all mountain and downhill.

edit- also looking to spend around 1700$

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Here's one to check out

maybe a few $ over your budget, but the Heckler has a proven record of being one of the best "do it all" bikes, especially for larger riders. Hope this helps, Jim

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
How much riding have you done? Do you own a bike? If you haven't really done any riding how are you sure you will truly like mtn biking and stick with it?

For people in that position I always suggest buying a fairly simple and entry level bike as a starter 700.00 or less. The starter bike will let you figure out if you really like the sport without investing a ton of money. Also most people don't really know what bike they want until they have some miles under their belt.

This next part is very important:

If you get a starter bike DO NOT upgrade it at all. DO ride the starter bike for at least a full year (2 years would be better). After a year or two on your starter bike you will have a clear picture of what bike you want and why. If you did not blow your money on upgrades during those starter years you will still have the money to buy your dream bike and perhaps you will have the skills to match.

·
Registered
120 Posts
dustinjamesz said:
Hello all. I am interested in starting to ride and wondering what would be my best bet. I am 22 years old and have friends that ride often, meaning i will be riding often as well. I am 6'4 245 so i know i will need a XL size bike. my dilemma is i'm not sure if i should go with a 29er hardtail or going with a really cool bike that i really like.. the Trek Fuel EX 7.. I know its an expensive ride but the shop here offers free tune ups/adjustments for life. + i dont think i will ever need to upgrade if i go all out in the first place. please let me know if my logic is flawed.

Please any advice for a new rider on a option for a bike would be helpful. I want to be able to mainly all mountain and downhill.

edit- also looking to spend around 1700$
Free tune ups are good but they'll probably charge for replacing parts due to wear and tear. You might even damage them while being on the trails. I would start with a sub 1k bike as well just so that you can learn what you don't like and like about the bike. Then you'll know exactly what you want to upgrade and what type of bike you need for the riding you do.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just started riding about 6 months ago, and I bought a Trek EX 7. So far, I absolutely love it. It's a very smooth ride, and the components don't feel cheap to me. The only negative I have to say about it is that the brakes squealed like a mofo for the first 4 months. I'm not sure if the brakes just needed to be worn in or if I finally stopped being a wuss and took my hand off the break.

I do agree with others here that you should consider spending less on your first bike until you're certain you're going to stick with it... especially if money is a concern. On the other hand, I think having a decent bike made me enjoy my first few months of riding a lot more so I picked up an appreciation for the sport faster.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
29er hardtail or going with a really cool bike that i really like
ergo, 29er HT=an uncoolbike that you wont like

Go with the fuel EX, you might not like a HT, and you certainly wont like the 29er.

·
Registered
735 Posts
+1 for the Heckler. If you want to ride AM and LIGHT DH then it's a decent bike for it.

Though to be honest, if you really want something sturdy that will handle AM and DH then check pink bikes classifieds. Great deals on DH rigs. I assume you do mean actual DH tracks though.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
A 29er hardtail can be cool too. Not that I have one, though, but I have a couple of cool 26er hardtails ... :p

What kind of bikes are your friends riding? That may be a fair indication of what works on the trails that they frequent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts