Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find some measurements since I just acquired an old frame in great condition and want work on it as a project. It came with no shock, and no shock mounting bolts. I know that it used to have a Fox Float, with 6.5" eyelet and 1.5" stroke, so I'll probably end up getting something from eBay or Craigslist for it. But I need some questions answered:

1. What length/size are the shock mounting bolts, both on the frame and the swingarm?
2. Could I just get these bolts from say, Lowes or Home Depot (I'd assume getting the strongest ones)? I notice that the shock mounting bolts in other frames I have don't have threads in the middle section; will that matter?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi,
about hose bolts,the one in the frame is 40 mm and works with a nut.
The one in the swingarm is 60 mm .You'll find these in any hardwear store.Both are M6.
I've you want i'll mail you some pix to see what you should get.
Your last question,post a picture here if possible,i 'm not sure what u mean.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think you've answered the questions actually :)

M6-40mm and M6-60mm, nylon lock nuts.

My brother will prob have a ****-eating grin when this bike is done.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with the in-laws about 3000 miles away from the frame at the moment. Won't be home until Jan 5th. It's going to a local powdercoater almost immediately; so the frame won't be completely back in my hands until probably mid-Jan.

I wonder how current-day Intense stickers will look on a freshly powered old-school Tracer frame?

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, got around to taking pictures. I should've taken a pic before starting all this, to chronicle, but oh well.

Basically it was a free frame someone just wanted to get rid of, so I obliged, and now I'm in the process of restoring it.

Bad white spray job over the original blue powdercoat. Wish it was still blue, but now I've decided to strip it down to bare aluminum and leave it raw.

Main pivot shows corrosion, but it wasn't bad and I can clean it up pretty well. The enduro bearings inside the main pivot though.. they were horrible. Completely frozen, and after popping off the seal you saw why; the ball bearings were almost rusted into one continuous ring.

As you can see, the frame is in structurally great condition. Just ran into a not-so-great spray can.

Rear swingarm is pristine; it almost seems newer than the front triangle. The cartridge bearings aren't even bad either. I'll still replace them all though.

Frame had a blue CK headset on it; the cartridge bearings on top were completely dry but the balls looked to be OK; the lower cartridge is spinning fine so I may just service it; or just get a new headset. It'd be a shame to toss this headset though, knowing how much CK's cost.

The plan:

1. I'm stripping the spray and powdercoat to raw aluminum.
2. I have a Fox Float R 6.5x1.5 that I just need to pick up the right reducers for to fit this frame. I also need to pick up the shock mounting bolts, although the Float R has a 40mm M6 I can use already.
3. Replacing all the bearings with a new set of enduro max bearings.
4. Putting a new set of Intense frame decals and headbadge, likely just using a 5.5 EVP set since it has the old school headbadge included.

From there, I will probably decide if I really want to build a complete bike out of the frame for my brother-in-law. Probably will though.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...and here's the frame stripped, and partially polished; still got some paint to get off, and still waiting for the proper shock reducers and lower shock bolt.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Done.

Built up with a mid-level mix of SRAM X.7 and LX, Joplin, Hayes HFX-9, and temporarily have a *gack* Spinner fork on it. Waiting for a coworker to come back from vacation to get his old-but-good Marzocchi Z3, of which I have a Cane Creek headset waiting.

It's right around 28-29lbs right now, it'll drop another pound with the better fork.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.