Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure does seem to be the best of both worlds between the 26 and 29er...........

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice

nice Keen. Which fork you have up front? And on the rear, is that a 2.1 or 2.3? You have a picture of the rear clearances?
Thanks!
SB

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Spongebob said:
nice Keen. Which fork you have up front? And on the rear, is that a 2.1 or 2.3? You have a picture of the rear clearances?
Thanks!
SB
Pictured is a Pike Dual Air set @ 5" and a 7.5 x 1.75 RP23. I now have a Pike coil and Marzocchi Roco TST. I posted some pic's on MTBR , might turn up with a search , maybe 7-10mm all around a 2.3 Neo-moto.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
pjlama said:
Wow, very cool. How do you like it?
My agressive riding was tapering a bit so I considered less travel maybe in a 29er platform, I am 6'4" 210lb. Rode a 29er but It was slower and less agile than the 26er. I wanted my RFX to have bigger wheels and less travel. 650b's were a good wheel size compromise. The RFX took well to the shorter rear shock / fork combo. Geometry wise HA is 68* , BB height is 13.5" - perfect for trail riding.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
pjlama said:
Seems like you really hit on something for guys wanting to try 650b but still have a great frame. The numbers look solid too. So that's an XL I take it?
XL. I talked to somone @ Turner and thought they said a 650b wouldn't fit a DW .

·
Registered
722 Posts
that's about the most amazing, understated, packed with information post i've ever read here on mtbr forums. i'm your size and after riding the sultan week in and week out for 3 years, i think that's about the bike i would like to step into. congrats on carrying through with a great idea! starre

keen said:
My agressive riding was tapering a bit so I considered less travel maybe in a 29er platform, I am 6'4" 210lb. Rode a 29er but It was slower and less agile than the 26er. I wanted my RFX to have bigger wheels and less travel. 650b's were a good wheel size compromise. The RFX took well to the shorter rear shock / fork combo. Geometry wise HA is 68* , BB height is 13.5" - perfect for trail riding.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Yeah

Spongebob said:
Sure does seem to be the best of both worlds between the 26 and 29er...........
A 08 sultan with 5 spot CS, 5.5 rockers and a 120mm F29. Blunt rims laced to hope pro II hubs. Schwable RR 2.25 in back and a 2.35 nev up front. .

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
jrm: great job in morphing the sultan, but i 'think' i would rather have the geometry of the RFX - specifically the 68 degree HT. what did yours turn out to be? thanx!

jrm said:
A 08 sultan with 5 spot CS, 5.5 rockers and a 120mm F29. Blunt rims laced to hope pro II hubs. Schwable RR 2.25 in back and a 2.35 nev up front. .

·
Registered
960 Posts
got a front 650b wheel on my 09 dw flux, the rear wheel clearance is even tight
for a caked up 26 incher. would be nice to have the clearance on the back to run a 650b.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
I think

starre said:
jrm: great job in morphing the sultan, but i 'think' i would rather have the geometry of the RFX - specifically the 68 degree HT. what did yours turn out to be? thanx!
70 to 71??? to cheap to buy a angle finder to find out.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
although I think a ~5.5" DW trail bike would really hit the sweet spot, and DT fully agrees, he has made it clear that he won't touch this one until a major fork maker comes out with an endorsed product, or bob fox gives his blessing on their existing forks (never gonna happen)

it does make sense, there is only so much $$ and time available for R&D and the initial costs, especially in this craptastic economy, and many hardcore riders are going to want either a Fox or RS or Zoke on their bikes. not saying White Bros or Velvet are junk, but they just aren't major players.

still hoping to see something in the next year or so, but not holding my breath. until then my 26/650b will do the job quite nicely :D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frameset

If you guys didn't know already, Jamis has come out with a 650b FS frameset, with frame and fork, $2500. But who knows what that'll be like and how it performs. (especially for my 230lb gut :eek: ) But, like you, I'd rather have a used RFX. Love my Turners......

SB

I'm convinced that 650b is the way to go for the future. IMHO of course.

·
Beer swillin' rabble ridr
155 Posts
I'm convinced that 650b is the way to go for the future. IMHO of course.[/QUOTE]

Agree with that for sure

1 - 20 of 30 Posts