Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just read the July Issue of Mountain Bike magazine testing 26, 27.5, and 29ers. Overall, 27.5 won out and took 1st place.

I can see bigger or taller folks finding 29ers more naturally fitting to their size while some smaller folks still raving about it. I've heard from those who race that 29ers constantly beat the 26ers.

I'm 5' 7" (165 lbs) and, from the outset, 27.5" would seem to be the best of both worlds (I'm hoping that more brands will catch onto this).

Anyway, anyone have "regrets" or are not as smitten with their 29ers? Very curious to know.

P.S. Currently, my LBS is pricing out a 2012 Cannondale Scalpel Lefty 29er for me. :)

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,424 Posts
Only regret that I didn't get one sooner!
And that I didn't get some carbon rims too!:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im 5'7" too. My biggest (not just ONLY) regret was selling mine and built 650b. I guess when you rode and owned both you can make valid comparison.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im 5'7" too. My biggest (not just ONLY) regret was selling mine and built 650b. I guess when you rode and owned both you can make valid comparison.
Can you give me some specific reasons since you've ridden both? Pros and Cons? Thanks.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Anyway, anyone have "regrets" or are not as smitten with their 29ers? Very curious to know.
Yes. I bought into 29ers pretty heavily. Thought I'd never go back. But time has proven me wrong. I am less smitten now with the 29er size. My change in thinking began in a big way last year when I built up a 26er hardtail. It's the lightest-weight bike I own, and fun to ride. Then I built a 26er rigid in a size a touch smaller than I had been riding, and am finding it the perfect bike for anything tight and twisty and technical -- because I've plenty of room to move around and apply body-English.

All that said, I am working a Spearfish build, so am not tossing 29ers out the window.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,424 Posts
Yes. I bought into 29ers pretty heavily. Thought I'd never go back. But time has proven me wrong. I am less smitten now with the 29er size. My change in thinking began in a big way last year when I built up a 26er hardtail. It's the lightest-weight bike I own, and fun to ride. Then I built a 26er rigid in a size a touch smaller than I had been riding, and am finding it the perfect bike for anything tight and twisty and technical -- because I've plenty of room to move around and apply body-English.

All that said, I am working a Spearfish build, so am not tossing 29ers out the window.
Phew!! You had us all worried for a moment there! lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
Still pretty new to MTB, about 100 miles in riding a cheap 26er, and now about 40 miles in on my new 29er. So I don't have a lot of miles for comparison yet but here's what I've noticed so far:

My 29er is about 4 lbs lighter than my cheap old 26" bike, but I can't really compare it to a decent 26er". But even with the larger frame and tires, it steel feels plenty maneuverable in most terrains. I'm about 5' 9" and 160 lbs, and my 17.5" Mamba feels like the perfect size. I'm more "in" the bike than "on" it like before.

Big tires really do seem to eat up obstacles that made me cringe on the 26er. Obviously won't roll over everything, but it does tend to make me a little more aggressive in tackling stuff that I wouldn't before. Hopefully not more stupid, just more adventurous! And on the few smallish jumps that I've done so far, I can still catch some decent air.

Being able to ride trail using a lower tire pressure definitely makes a difference on traction, especially climbing. I'm breaking loose a LOT less with the 29er than before.

I was apprehensive about the 29er being noticeably tougher to get rolling after stopping, or even slowing way down, but have not really seen a problem with that yet. I think even if it is a little slower to start, the momentum those big tires carry has really helped make me faster overall on the tracks I've ridden so far.

Maybe I drank the Kool-aid, but switching to a 29er has been a great experience for me.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

I'm guessing the group of people who ditched 29ers to go back to riding rigid 26" bikes is going to be pretty small. :)

·
No Clue Crew
7,249 Posts
I've dabbled in 29ers for years and, at 6'2", I would seem to be the target market. That said, the only big-wheeler I ride these days is my SS. For the technical sort of riding that I typically do, I find 26ers to be MUCH more fun.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Went on a relatively long backwoods ride today on my 29er hard tail today. I was reminded of what I really like about it. The gravel road riding before the single track is a ton of fun. The chewed up horse trails we spent time on between nice single track sections was actually fun, even without rear suspension (Wha!!!!!). The log overs and other technical bits are great, easily dispatched. Basically, if you are going to the woods to actually go somewhere, it can't be beat.

Head over to the purpose built trail or park and maybe strengths become weaknesses for thrill seekers. The stability I love out in the back 40 could be seen, I suppose, as a lack of maneuverability when you're looking to hop and pop and dance around. Sometimes you want to feel like you are riding on that knife's edge, even on your local trail. Pretty tough to get that seat of the pants feeling from a 29er.

I'm happy with the one bike. There is literally no type of riding I want to tackle it can't do. But I could see the slam the seat or wring the most fun out of the local loop crowds not being as sold as me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i feel that the 29" rim is too large to be built on to a hub made for 26"rims.. im a clyde and enev tho i have about the beefiest/budget minded wheelset i could build my old 26" feels so much more stable. id like to see some wider flange hubs come out!

·
Registered
315 Posts
i feel that the 29" rim is too large to be built on to a hub made for 26"rims.. im a clyde and enev tho i have about the beefiest/budget minded wheelset i could build my old 26" feels so much more stable. id like to see some wider flange hubs come out!
This is the main reason I'm hesitant to go to 29ers. Look at my sig and you can find out why, i break EVERYTHING. First time i rode a 29er, taco'd a stans flow on hope hub. I'm 6'2 240lb and I basically freeride when the opportunity arises, not into speed but hukking i guess. Just recently had back surgery due to a herniated (exploded) disc and thinking that 29er might eat up the lil stuff better and be better on my back.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts