Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about just making the Salsa a 1x9. The only time I can see using the small ring is when i pull my 2 kids on the tandem trail a bike off road up steep hills, as that adds another 140 pounds behind me but other than that, probably never.

Just curious if anybody went to 1x9 and then went back to 2 or 3x9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,888 Posts
I went to a 1x9 setup on one of my Tracers, I found that it tended to bounce a lot in the middle ring though, plus with the chain line difficulties I went back to a 3 x 9 setup, then I stopped messing about and went SS again and sold both my Intenses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,440 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Thinking about just making the Salsa a 1x9. The only time I can see using the small ring is when i pull my 2 kids on the tandem trail a bike off road up steep hills, as that adds another 140 pounds behind me but other than that, probably never.

Just curious if anybody went to 1x9 and then went back to 2 or 3x9.
i go 1x9 or 1x8 and 1x7 on another and i do not regret it at all. i can do most hills, its not really an issue. on the rare occasion i can't, i walk. i don't race so i don't really care. i really like not having a derailleur and shifter for the front. just get a light chain guide if you have probs with dropping chains. there are ones less than 200g and there are the other kind people use like the jump stop i believe its called. i like the whole chainguide and bash guard though.
 

·
( )
Joined
·
755 Posts
I went from 1X9 to 1X1 to 2X9 on my dos niner. The dos was fun as a single speed but it's really better suited for gears. And while I found that 1X9 is fine for most stuff, it helps to have the granny on certain trails or when I'm a little tired. And since I still have a rigid single speed, the geared bike might as well be full gears, because sometimes I need them.
 

·
You Are What You Is
Joined
·
920 Posts
I'm quite happy with my 1x9 setup. Every once in a while I wish for a granny gear, but a granny gear is just a cop-out most of the time, I guess. You should be able to ride most trails with a 32 ring anyway.
 
G

·
Niner 1x9

I have no problems climbing 5000 feet a day on my Niner 1X9.

Just got home from a *****en trip to UT and CO. No problem climbing, even at 11,360ft (highest point we rode to on the Colorado Trail)

No reason to ever have a granny gear, and a big ring would only get in my way. :)

Pics...



 

·
No Reputation!
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
eh, it's been OK

A couple of things on my 1X9 setup...I throw the chain once in awhile, can prolly get around this but it's been equal in reliability to a 3 ring setup so far. And for fast riding I'm in the small cogs a lot (11 and 13t cogs), the 11t had to be replaced just a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise it's good, not sure if I'll stick with it or not, a 42t ring would be nice sometimes and a granny might be nice too...
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,019 Posts
I've got more 1x9 and SS bikes than full triples. Building a 1x5 myself soo, 13-33t. Using a Nashbar SS hub with old skool Shimano screw-on end cog and 33t offset Ritchey bottom cog. With a customized end cog (to make it 9spd) and especially all 9spd spacers, it may work without the offset cog and an extra spacer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,440 Posts
TN29'er said:
Shiggy, What rear hub are your running with the 1x5? I have heard that a person can run a 1x4 or 1x5 on certain single speed hubs. Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks
sorry not shiggy here. i know you can with i9. https://www.industrynine.net/ (1x4)

...and Hadley (1x5). i will probably use the hadley for this.
 

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
Joined
·
419 Posts
We'll see...

I have 10,000 feet of climbing to do at the end of the month (Wilderness 101). I'm running a 34 right now, but I have a 32 ready to go. Thinking I should probably make the swap.

Currently, no 1x9 regrets at all. Dropped my chain once in 5 laps at the 24 Hours of Big Bear (I run a jump stop). Regardless of how I do at the 101, I'll never ditch the 1x9. It serves me well. Hell, I only pull it out for special occasions anyway. All other times, I'm on the SS Monkey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
No issues yet on the Uno x Nueve El Capitan. A 29t front yields a broader gear range for me. On road commutes to dirt you will top out.

I still haven't lost a chain yet even though I'm not using a basher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
regrets

I tried it and went back. 1x9 looks cooler, but I'd rather have fast gears and trials gears. The weight savings are negligible. A front derailler retains the chain as well as anything, and a big ring makes a decent bashguard.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
TN29'er said:
Shiggy, What rear hub are your running with the 1x5? I have heard that a person can run a 1x4 or 1x5 on certain single speed hubs. Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks
Regular geary hub. Most SS cassette hubs can hold 4 cogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,888 Posts
Thought I'd ressurect an old thread.

I bought a dura-ace rear mech, shifters and Paul thumbies off our man Fo - thanks very much Fo, one of the best buys I've had in a long while!

I was going to fit it to a new frame which would primerily be used to pull my kids trailer, for the same reasons as Fo spoke about at the beginning of the thread. However when I opened the box I couldn't resist trying them out on my Implant which I've ran SS since I got it, afterall it is supposed to be used with gears and I would like a SS Specific frame in time, so I thought why not, if I don't like it I can change it?!

So I set it up, put an N-Gear jump stop up front and will fit a bash guard I'm waiting on next week and everything seems great, the Dura-ace shifter and mech work so much better than the XTR I had on my Tracer that I mentioned earlier as the shifting is so much more smooth and precise.

Part of me thinks I'm a SS sell out, but I know that's not the case, it makes sense to run this bike geared and to get a SS frame when budget allows!

:thumbsup:

Thanks again Fo', I'm glad that you decided to stick to SS on the HT! ;)
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just J said:
Thought I'd ressurect an old thread.

I bought a dura-ace rear mech, shifters and Paul thumbies off our man Fo - thanks very much Fo, one of the best buys I've had in a long while!

I was going to fit it to a new frame which would primerily be used to pull my kids trailer, for the same reasons as Fo spoke about at the beginning of the thread. However when I opened the box I couldn't resist trying them out on my Implant which I've ran SS since I got it, afterall it is supposed to be used with gears and I would like a SS Specific frame in time, so I thought why not, if I don't like it I can change it?!

So I set it up, put an N-Gear jump stop up front and will fit a bash guard I'm waiting on next week and everything seems great, the Dura-ace shifter and mech work so much better than the XTR I had on my Tracer that I mentioned earlier as the shifting is so much more smooth and precise.

Part of me thinks I'm a SS sell out, but I know that's not the case, it makes sense to run this bike geared and to get a SS frame when budget allows!

:thumsbup:

Thanks again Fo', I'm glad that you decided to stick to SS on the HT! ;)
you are welcome my friend. happy they made it over the pond safely.

I definitely would have kept the sweet setup you bought had I kept another single speed in the stable but given its the only hardtail now, it will never see gears.

Please post some pictures though, that is the least you could do ;)

cheers
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top