Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anvil Bikeworks has a part-time, paid, apprentice/intern position available with a possibility to go full time. You may or may not learn how to build frames because that's not really what we do. What we do is make the best framebuilding tools known to man and the bicycle industry.

We like to ride, talk bikes, and in general we like bike people. Ironic glasses, hair, throat beards, tattoos, or piercings are not required for this job. Being able to work hard, learn, add value, communicate socially, and present our company in a positive light is. You must also test positive for having a sense of humor. You will have an opportunity to learn machine shop processes, in fact, success in this position requires it. If you bring some of those skills to the table with you, so much the better. You do not have to be a machinist for this job, but knowing your way around machine shop machinery, CNC or manual, is a ~huge~ plus.

It's not all rainbows and unicorns. You will also be required to sweep, clean, build crates, pack & ship, clean the bathroom, and a myriad of other tasks that go along with working in a small business. You will go home each day so dirty your mom won't recognize you. Don't worry, we do too. If you're one of those folks who thinks that everything your supervisor asks you to do is open for debate or negotiation, please don't apply.

What we're really looking for is a perfectionist who knows when to quit; a hotshot bike mechanic type who wants to expand his universe into the machine shop side of things. You won't work as a mechanic, but we find that talent works really well when it comes to doing what we do. If you're a machinist, we'll certainly consider you, but we find it's very important that you be a "bike" person first & foremost. We can teach you machining, we can't teach you love for the bike culture & community.

We need someone around 30 hours a week. Pay is $12/hr to start based on your abilities. A raise is possible after a 30-day trial period. There is the potential for full-time and up to $25+/hr if you turn out to be a real hotshot and are a dreamy fit with Elroy (your supervisor) & I. We are located south of Chatfield Reservoir off of Titan Road. Do not just show up at the gate. Call or email first so we can arrange a time to meet should we want to.

To help you self-determine if you're qualified for this job, we've devised a little test. Using Google shows initiative but we'd rather you be able to finish the test without it. We don't expect you to get all the answers right, it's really just a way for you to self-evaluate and for us to see if you're a lying cheater. Send us your results with an introductory letter. Impress us. Trust that we will ask you more questions along these lines in person. Story problems and trick questions included.

1. The lid for a box is 30" X 36". The side boards are made of standard 1" pine dimensional lumber. What lengths should the side boards be?

2. Put in order from smallest to largest: Letter F drill bit, 1/8", 3mm, #7 drill bit, one hundred and thirteen thousandths, 10mm end mill, tap drill for 3/8-16 fastener, .250", 10 gauge steel plate.

3. How many 8" pieces can you cut out of a 12' long piece of material? Think about it, yo.

4. If two sides of a right triangle are 3 and 4 feet long. How long is the hypotenuse?

5. If a 2" ID tube is slit open with a ½" cutter, how long is the piece if spread out flat?

6. How many thousandths are in an inch?

7. What does "five-tenths" mean to you?

8. All other variables being equal what is the difference in length of a chainstay for a 24" inch wheel and a 29" wheel?

9. Name 20 bicycle frame brands.

10. What is the g-code for a rapid move?

11. What does "mcx" mean to you?

12. If the guy who signs your paycheck says he wants something done right away, how long should you wait before doing it?

13. What is the difference between precision and accuracy?

14. What does SFM mean to you?

15. Use the word "interpolate" in a sentence.

16. You walk into a machine shop and you find that none of the calculators work as you might expect them to. Why is that?

Feel free to ask questions here but please don't PM me (this is a test). Look up our website for our contact email and phone number.

Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you!

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and thank you MTBR for letting me post this here though it may be more along the lines of begging forgiveness than asking permission.

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
DWF said:
Anvil Bikeworks has a part-time, paid, apprentice/intern position available with a possibility to go full time. You may or may not learn how to build frames because that's not really what we do. What we do is make the best framebuilding tools known to man and the bicycle industry.

We like to ride, talk bikes, and in general we like bike people. Ironic glasses, hair, throat beards, tattoos, or piercings are not required for this job. Being able to work hard, learn, add value, communicate socially, and present our company in a positive light is. You must also test positive for having a sense of humor. You will have an opportunity to learn machine shop processes, in fact, success in this position requires it. If you bring some of those skills to the table with you, so much the better. You do not have to be a machinist for this job, but knowing your way around machine shop machinery, CNC or manual, is a ~huge~ plus.

It's not all rainbows and unicorns. You will also be required to sweep, clean, build crates, pack & ship, clean the bathroom, and a myriad of other tasks that go along with working in a small business. You will go home each day so dirty your mom won't recognize you. Don't worry, we do too. If you're one of those folks who thinks that everything your supervisor asks you to do is open for debate or negotiation, please don't apply.

What we're really looking for is a perfectionist who knows when to quit; a hotshot bike mechanic type who wants to expand his universe into the machine shop side of things. You won't work as a mechanic, but we find that talent works really well when it comes to doing what we do. If you're a machinist, we'll certainly consider you, but we find it's very important that you be a "bike" person first & foremost. We can teach you machining, we can't teach you love for the bike culture & community.

We need someone around 30 hours a week. Pay is $12/hr to start based on your abilities. A raise is possible after a 30-day trial period. There is the potential for full-time and up to $25+/hr if you turn out to be a real hotshot and are a dreamy fit with Elroy (your supervisor) & I. We are located south of Chatfield Reservoir off of Titan Road. Do not just show up at the gate. Call or email first so we can arrange a time to meet should we want to.

To help you self-determine if you're qualified for this job, we've devised a little test. Using Google shows initiative but we'd rather you be able to finish the test without it. We don't expect you to get all the answers right, it's really just a way for you to self-evaluate and for us to see if you're a lying cheater. Send us your results with an introductory letter. Impress us. Trust that we will ask you more questions along these lines in person. Story problems and trick questions included.

1. The lid for a box is 30" X 36". The side boards are made of standard 1" pine dimensional lumber. What lengths should the side boards be?

2. Put in order from smallest to largest: Letter F drill bit, 1/8", 3mm, #7 drill bit, one hundred and thirteen thousandths, 10mm end mill, tap drill for 3/8-16 fastener, .250", 10 gauge steel plate.

3. How many 8" pieces can you cut out of a 12' long piece of material? Think about it, yo.

4. If two sides of a right triangle are 3 and 4 feet long. How long is the hypotenuse?

5. If a 2" ID tube is slit open with a ½" cutter, how long is the piece if spread out flat?

6. How many thousandths are in an inch?

7. What does "five-tenths" mean to you?

8. All other variables being equal what is the difference in length of a chainstay for a 24" inch wheel and a 29" wheel?

9. Name 20 bicycle frame brands.

10. What is the g-code for a rapid move?

11. What does "mcx" mean to you?

12. If the guy who signs your paycheck says he wants something done right away, how long should you wait before doing it?

13. What is the difference between precision and accuracy?

14. What does SFM mean to you?

15. Use the word "interpolate" in a sentence.

16. You walk into a machine shop and you find that none of the calculators work as you might expect them to. Why is that?

Feel free to ask questions here but please don't PM me (this is a test). Look up our website for our contact email and phone number.

Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you!
I'm fairly certain that the answer to #14 is "Surly Flatulent Male", if that helps any of you prospectives.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
I can answer all the questions, but I'm not that close to retirement yet... crap. I'd love to be in a machine shop environmnet. My wife nearly flipped when I told her the only way my girls are going to do a pinewood derby (Yes,pinewood derby is entering the girlscout ranks) is if I had a complete CNC machine shop environment that would cost about 100k to get started.... Oh well, looks like a bandsaw it is.

·
I'm attracted to Gravity!
598 Posts
A couple answers, question numbers not specified to protect the ignorant.

4.93894337 × 10^(-17) Parsecs

Assume that the (OD-ID)<<2” such that the resulting flat cross section can be approximated as a rectangle of negligible thickness, then length=circumference/2=[answer withheld to protect the ignorant.... I'll give you a clue - its not rational and is commonly denoted in Greek)

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Only if I was 25 years younger. I do like bikes, and I can answer all of these questions, except I would have too look up the drill bit thing. As for the math, can I use Potrezebie measurements?

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
TVC15 said:
I was sincerely surprised at how many I could answer without googling.

But hey, I'm still holding out for unicorns and rainbows.

OK.....i could have sworn i saw a different unicorn a second ago! .......but then again i was painting with oil-based today.......maybe i should consider a career change:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.