Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home from the store when I started to see all this litter blowing around in the middle of my lane. I looked at the car ahead of me to see a hand come out a window and throw some more pieces of trash. A few seconds later, a hand comes out the window on the other side and throws more trash. A few seconds later, the first hand comes out and throws more trash. Unbelievable! And this wasn't a chewing gum wrapper either; it was big pieces of plastic that some junk food had been packaged in.

What do you do when you see this? Get the license plate number and call the cops? Little good that's going to do. It just makes me sad that littering is still such a major problem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Litter sucks.

Here is SC there is a number that you can call with the plates and they will mail their ass a fine.

And as bad as litter sucks I have been guilty in the past of throwing aluminum cans out the window late at night. I also used to throw bottles at signs. When no one was coming of course. All this has been a while back though.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Guyechka said:
Get the license plate number and call the cops? Little good that's going to do. It just makes me sad that littering is still such a major problem.
I'd try hard not to get my a$$ kicked b/c I'd have a hard time not saying something, but yes license number and a call to the police. Maybe they wouldn't do a thing but they'd have a record of it at least.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Years ago I was working the drive in window at a McDonalds. I turned toward the window to see a woman in her 40s throwing liter our her window (salt packets and straw wrappers). I went off on her about respecting my neighborhood etc etc. At first she looked at me like I was joking but I made it clear that I take that kind of thing as a personal insult and a show of disrespect toward me and my neighbors.

She picked up her mess and left it on the drive in window sill.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The worst I've seen was in the Bay Area. A family, in a brand new Mercedes was in front of us at a stop light. All of a sudden, all four doors opened up, out of each door came a hand full of trash. They dumped all the trash on the ground and proceeded when the light was green.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Last week on a ride I had to pack out 3 used innertubes, 17 assorted energy bar wrappers, a busted chain, 2 energy drink bottles and a grip. people out enjoying nature that litter are by far the worst. Litterbugs should be forced to do community cleanup.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sandmangts said:
Last week on a ride I had to pack out 3 used innertubes, 17 assorted energy bar wrappers, a busted chain, 2 energy drink bottles and a grip. people out enjoying nature that litter are by far the worst. Litterbugs should be forced to do community cleanup.
I used to take hikes on some of the bike trails nearby. It was quite a different scene when moving slowly. Cigarette butts. Dumped car parts. A love seat. Tons of beer cans and bottles. I kept expecting to find a dead body. I mean, why not? :rolleyes:

·
less is more
823 Posts
Here is What You Do

Pick up the trash behind the car that just dumped it. Ride up to the driver's window & through it in. Say something like, "I believe you dropped this."
I know people that have done this.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
A local rider I know had a half full soft drink thrown at him out of a car window one night. He picked it up and at the next set of traffic lights, removed the lid and returned the favour. I’d say they learnt their lesson pretty quickly! :D

Luckily locally our trails don’t see a great deal of traffic, so it’s rare to see any evidence of littering. :thumbsup:

Dave.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
Guyechka said:
I kept expecting to find a dead body. I mean, why not?
We found an artificial leg on a ride once. One of the guys wanted to take it with him but couldn't come up with a way to secure to his camelback.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
sandmangts said:
Amen!
I also carry a small trash bag so I can pick up stuff others have left behind.

I like this idea:

venus1 said:
Pick up the trash behind the car that just dumped it. Ride up to the driver's window & through it in. Say something like, "I believe you dropped this."

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
I've heard in Texas if a cop sees you throw a cig butt out your window he'll make you pick up every single one for 100feet in both directions of your car and fine you.
.. of course you always hear things like that coming from Texas! haha.

I hate littering.. it really bothers me. I love when I work release kids and incarcerated people picking up the sides of the roads. At least they're doing something good.

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Around here, a citation will not be issued unless an officer witnesses the event (littering). The PD will, however, send a letter in the mail.

While I like the idea of dumping trash into the vehicle of the litterbug, there's a lot of unstable people in the world that might escalate the situation beyond a simple punch in the mouth.

A few weeks ago, I said a very loud "Merry Christmas" as I cycled past the open window of a parked car whose driver had just thrown some plastic wrapper out onto the pavement. That's as far as I'm going these days. Too many road rage stories in the news lately.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Yeah this subject is fresh on my mind as well.....there is NOT alot of litter on my trails as we have few users, especially this time of year......

But out riding the road bike, good grief it pains me. All I see is food related stuff: cups, wrappers, fast food bags, drink btls and cans.....and if they are not throwing it out of the car themselves, we have all these damn good ole boys who throw stuff into their truck bed and let the trash fly all over the place

It sux and it seems like the only solution is for someone to come up with some kinda all encompasing fast biodegradable packaging material - because it appears that the general public just doesn't give a fu-k :madmax:

·
Registered
333 Posts
sandmangts said:
Hey, you didn't have to pack it out, but you did anyway.

Thanks for setting a good example! :thumbsup:

I really don't get the mind set of people who go through life leaving their trash for others to deal with. Are they that selfish that they expect there is someone out there who will pick up their sh!t or do they really just not mind living in garbage?

Maybe these are the people who's houses you see on episodes of Cops with garbage all over the place, dogs crapping on the floor, and kitchens full of dirty dishes and old food.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thats one of the biggest things I hate about Los Angeles, trash and crap EVERYWHERE!!!:madmax: I dont even know how many people I have seen open their car door up and dump all their SH*T out all over a parking lot or street. Its abosultely disgusting! And the majority of people I see doing it plain and simple are mexicans and blacks. Dont get me wrong though I have seen plently of white trash loser people dump junk out in the streets too.

At work we have prodominately mexicans working for us, our yard is so trashy sometimes, along with the work trucks and bathrooms that they use. We built a brand new yard, real nice place and cost alot of money to build. It only took 2 weeks for it to look like our other place we were at, which looked like downtown LA, well my yard IS in L.A. I constantly bring up the issue to them and the problem gets somewhat better but for the most part its just trash everywhere. Coffee cups sitting 4 feet away from the trash can because they are too damn lazy to actually throw it away, Avacodo seeds, banana peels, orange peels, cups, sunflower seeds and stuff I cant even identify trashing up brand new trucks we bought.:madman: Sorry to rant but people nowadays are so F'in lazy its not even funny. And all that trash gets washed down the storm drain and out into the ocean. We would have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world in socal if it wasnt for some of these problems. I am far from anything like an eco nazi, trust me. But this is a huge issue and I make sure the trash I make stays with me and goes in the appropriate place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, Im going to continue real quickly here since Im on a roll.:thumbsup: I ride dirt bikes every weekend. And just like with mountain bike trails its terribly disturbing to see the amount of trash that ends up in our deserts. Glamis was closed down for a couple of years because of that very issue. Now guess what? Trash is starting to pile back up again. I want to ride and preserve the areas I go, I want to have somewhere to take my kids. It does not help our cause what so ever when it comes time to discuss what to do with our areas we love to ride. I dont know, makes me want to move somewhere I dont have to see this crap all the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.