Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to buy an Anthem X2 but kind of on the outside of my price range. However I have found a great deal on a 2009 Anthem X3. The price difference between the two bikes is over $800. I'm going to be doing some XC races and endurance races on whatever I buy. Do you think the X3 would work ok for my purposed or should I hold out for an X2. Is the extra $800 - $900 worth it? I noticed the 2010 X3 is not spec'd out as nice as the 2009.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was in your same position last year and purchased the AX3. I upgraded the shifters and rear der to SRAM X9 - I am really happy with the bike! I ride Michigan single track and race in the beginner class (two races last year, planning on ~5 races this year).

I am working on getting rid of some weight this year - stans crest wheels with racing ralphs and a XT cassette to start then probably a lighter seat / bars later on. This should get me just under 26 lbs - not light yet, but getting closer. I think you will find if you are trying to get to around 24 lbs, you will end up spending the same money with either bike.....I just could not convince the wife that spending $2500 vs. $1700 was the same in the long run :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi!

I am not shure abaut the specs in wheels and drivetrain, but the rear shock on the X2 that has the Pro pedal on it is well worth the mony when climbing. The frames are the same on either bike, but the rear shock defenatly helps when climbing and out of the sadle.

·
Registered
629 Posts
they are all great bikes. I dont have an anthem but almost bought one till i decided on the trance x. It really comes down to if you plan on upgrading anything right away. The Float R shock on the x3 is a great shock, dont let that be a deciding factor... I have one on my bike and find that is climbs very well, i doubt that id even use any of the propedal features if my current bike was equipped with it. With a proper climbing technique i doubt youll notice any difference.

Id suggest finding an 09 x2, looks like it comes equipped with all shimano xt stuff while the 09 x3 has deore stuff and raceface cranks. I always prefer to buy previous year models because you get much more bang for the buck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.