Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at replacing my specialized epic with a Giant Anthem X. The best value would be to buy an X2, sell all the parts and use my epic parts to build it up, but I am concerned with the RP3 shock. If I buy the frame only for $1600 I get the RP23, but that is considerably more dough. After being used to my epic I am looking for the most efficient bike possible. Does any one know how much propedal the RP3 has on its only setting compared to the RP23. I am hoping that it compares to the highest setting on the RP23. Is the RP23 worth the extra dough?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think you mean the RP2 on the Anthem X2. Since the RP23 used on the Anthem X frameset is the 2009 version, I doubt there are that many people around who are able to comment on the difference because it is so new.

One thing to note about the 2009 version of the RP23 is that people are finding a lot less pro-pedal effect than on previous versions. The RP23 also comes in 3 different grades of pro-pedal, with the Anthem X frameset coming with the Medium-lite version. Therefore someone who has upgraded from the RP2 to an aftermarket RP23 (which seems to come with full pro-pedal*) might find a greater difference in pro-pedal compared to using the RP23 found on the Anthem X frameset.

Personally I would demo the Anthem X2 and see if it suits me. If it doesn't then I would go with another bike. I doubt that you'd be satisfied with even the Anthem X frameset if the X2 with RP2 is too soft.

*total guess here

·
Registered
735 Posts
I demoed the X2 but ultimatley bought the Frame set for $1250 from my LBS. The RP2 propedal setting is what you get in the RP23 firm setting. Honestly I have not used anything but wide open, this is a very efficient suspension. I wanted either the Fox with low speed compression or the new SID. I went with the SID and then things got cosmetic, that White and Blue combination is amazing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you get the frameset for $1250. My bike shop wants $1600. I am assuming there are no online retailers that sell Giant, because I have been unable to find any. My local shop is pretty expensive.

·
Registered
183 Posts
greyhorse said:
I think you mean the RP2 on the Anthem X2. Since the RP23 used on the Anthem X frameset is the 2009 version, I doubt there are that many people around who are able to comment on the difference because it is so new.

You are correct it is the RP2 although so far as I know the RP2 is the same/similar to the older RP3 which preceded the RP23.

My mate who rides with an RP3 generally rides his 575 with the propedal on all the time as the shock is too soft without it but the shock still is not locked out. I rode my 5" bike with an RP23 and it was definitely worth the extra bucks. The propedal setting at its highest is very firm and much firmer than the old RP3.

However I think now the gap between the two is not as great as it was. This is simply my opinion from observing a couple of 2007 RP2 version Anthems been ridden.

I personally would go for the RP23 as I think it is a better shock. However you should ask yourself how much you will use the propedal setting. I had a ride alongside a new Anthem X and the rider was not using the propedal at all and there was very little pedal induced bob. I had a a quick ride on the bike and I did not feel it needed propedal on.

So maybe you are worried over nothing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am pretty sure that the internals in the RP2 and RP23 are the same, except you can change the firmness of the propedal on the RP23, whereas on the RP2 you have a fixed amount. I was in the exact same dilemma and I ended up buying the X2 and I have not regretted it, I run the shock in the open position all the time and do not feel the need for excessive LSC (propedal) to keep the pedal induced bob in check.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assumed that the internals were the same except for the adjustability of the propedal on the RP23. Has anyone road both and do you know if the propedal on the RP3 is equal to number1, 2, or 3 on the RP23.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Tom reread my post, As stated the RP2 (not 3) has open and one level of pro pedal that is the equivalent of the firmest setting on the RP23. I purchase my frame from A.J.'s boards and bikes in brandon(Tampa) Fla. I am sure with the economy in the state it's in, you will be able to find like pricing in your area.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Option?

Anthem1 said:
Tom reread my post, As stated the RP2 (not 3) has open and one level of pro pedal that is the equivalent of the firmest setting on the RP23. I purchase my frame from A.J.'s boards and bikes in brandon(Tampa) Fla. I am sure with the economy in the state it's in, you will be able to find like pricing in your area.
Depending on price break between new frameset, and parting out X2 bike, I've heard a "Pushed" RP2 ends up being an awesome shock, YRSMV (your riding style may vary....)

Just my $.02, what do you think A1?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just sent you a PM...

TomBouch said:
I am looking at replacing my specialized epic with a Giant Anthem X. The best value would be to buy an X2, sell all the parts and use my epic parts to build it up, but I am concerned with the RP3 shock. If I buy the frame only for $1600 I get the RP23, but that is considerably more dough. After being used to my epic I am looking for the most efficient bike possible. Does any one know how much propedal the RP3 has on its only setting compared to the RP23. I am hoping that it compares to the highest setting on the RP23. Is the RP23 worth the extra dough?
I just sent you a PM in respect to an X2 Frameset...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.