Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Giant NRS from 2002 and I'm interested in the new Anthem X. But I'm not sure whether I can expect serious improvement towards comfort and efficiency.
Typically the NRS has the image of having a kind of hardtail feeling (zero bopping, the opposite of plush, uses only about 60% of it's travel). I have the NRS adjusted with 30% SAG - very different from the recommended NoSAG. Why? Because with this SAG (about 1 cm at the damper) you can find a "magic" point where the NRS has a unique balance where the forces from bopping when pedalling in the saddle are completely eleminated. If you set it with less SAG you get serious bopping unless it's SAG-free. So now my NRS uses the full travel, is very plush and responsive towards roots etc.. Climbing in rougher terrain is very good and you can stay in the saddle most of the time. So I should be very satisfied with the rear of my NRS. But in downhill sections some disadvantages appear : under braking the damper goes upwards and detoriates the responsiveness significantly. And with only about 60 mm travel left (90 mm minus SAG) it has no really much margin for bigger hits. In fast sections it seems that the suspension cannot follow the quick hits.

So my question to people who know the NRS is: would the Anthem X give me significantly better suspension? From what I have read in the forum it climbs excellent (but better than a 30%SAG-NRS ?) and has good margin even in rougher terrain. What is the recommended SAG setting for the Anthem X and how has it to be adjusted to use full travel ?.

Other questions:
- what about the space for wider tyres? Would be enough space for a Nobby Nic or Conti Mountain King 2.4 in the rear or only for 2.25 tyres?
- which diameter is needed for the seatpost?
- any problems with interfering with roots/stones when pedalling while suspensioning?
- are 85 kg rider weight too much for the anthem X (stiffness?)

·
Registered
83 Posts
The simple answer to your question is yes, the Anthem X suspension is significantly better than the NRS.

I rode a 2002 NRS for 3 years and found the no bob suspension to be fantastic. I set mine with about 20% sag and loved it. In 2005 I switched to a Jamis but in 2006 I rode the Anthem. I still own my NRS so I could compare the 2 on the same day. The new Anthem was my primary bike and the NRS was my backup. The difference is huge. The new Maestro suspension with the new shock technology on the Anthem is far superior. I have since owned 2 Anthems and have an Anthem X coming next month. I can adjust the rear suspension to ride very stiff like a hard tail or plush when riding more technical. The Anthem climbs over rough roots and rocks like nothing else I have ridden and is considerably lighter than the NRS.

I have put tires up to 2.35 on it without any problemand the seatposts are 30.9. I am only around 75kg but tend to be very hard on bikes and have not had any problems. I found the Anthem geometry to be stiffer than my NRS. I could were out bearings for the rear triangle at least once per year on the NRS but have not had any issues with the Anthem

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yeah, what they said...

trelgne said:
I have a Giant NRS from 2002 and I'm interested in the new Anthem X. But I'm not sure whether I can expect serious improvement towards comfort and efficiency.
Typically the NRS has the image of having a kind of hardtail feeling (zero bopping, the opposite of plush, uses only about 60% of it's travel). I have the NRS adjusted with 30% SAG - very different from the recommended NoSAG. Why? Because with this SAG (about 1 cm at the damper) you can find a "magic" point where the NRS has a unique balance where the forces from bopping when pedalling in the saddle are completely eleminated. If you set it with less SAG you get serious bopping unless it's SAG-free. So now my NRS uses the full travel, is very plush and responsive towards roots etc.. Climbing in rougher terrain is very good and you can stay in the saddle most of the time. So I should be very satisfied with the rear of my NRS. But in downhill sections some disadvantages appear : under braking the damper goes upwards and detoriates the responsiveness significantly. And with only about 60 mm travel left (90 mm minus SAG) it has no really much margin for bigger hits. In fast sections it seems that the suspension cannot follow the quick hits.

So my question to people who know the NRS is: would the Anthem X give me significantly better suspension? From what I have read in the forum it climbs excellent (but better than a 30%SAG-NRS ?) and has good margin even in rougher terrain. What is the recommended SAG setting for the Anthem X and how has it to be adjusted to use full travel ?.

Other questions:
- what about the space for wider tyres? Would be enough space for a Nobby Nic or Conti Mountain King 2.4 in the rear or only for 2.25 tyres?
- which diameter is needed for the seatpost?
- any problems with interfering with roots/stones when pedalling while suspensioning?
- are 85 kg rider weight too much for the anthem X (stiffness?)
None of your questions are anything to be concerned about. Plenty of clearance, Seatpost is 30.9 mm...Roots and stones are a non-issue. Weight. You won't have an issue with that. There of plenty of folks who've posted here that ride this bike that are much larger than you.

As for performance, I just came off and 2005 NRS Carbon this past fall after riding it for four seasons to get into the AnthemX. Same as the others said, it's a no brainer. The suspension of the Maestro offers the same "limited bob" characteristics as the NRS, but is much better in it's ability to absorb bumps and obstacles in a much more comfortable manner than the NRS. Descending is a dream. The technology has changed quite a bit since you got your NRS and you will do your self a favor by making the switch. Are you building up a frameset or buying a complete bike?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtbmeister said:
Are you building up a frameset or buying a complete bike?
Either I will buy the frame (has the RP 23, but I've seen it only in white colour) or I choose the Anthem X2 with the nice blue-black colour (but only with RP2) and only use the frame. All other parts would be taken from my current NRS with R7 MRD fork, DT Swiss wheels, Sram X.9 etc....Would I have any advantage with the RP 23 over the RP2 damper ? I hoped to drive without any platform setting which should be possible with both models (?). I've read that the recommended SAG with the Anthem X is about 20%. How much use of travel could I await then?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Same view here - Anthem is in another class to the NRS.
I have an NRS2 2005 and an Anthem 1 2008 - the newer Anthem is and feels much faster.
The first race I went out on the new bike I took about three mins off a 25 minute lap time (I am in the Masters Category and appreciated the assistance!!)
Difference is most noticeable in the downhill sections where the suspension is still supple when braking on the Anthem - gives me a lot more confidence as the rear does not lock up rigid and throw you about. Anyway I am very happy with the new bike and the old NRS is now used as a commuter and for my 13yr old son!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry only just saw this and although you have recieved the right answer I just wantdd to re-iterate it..................

You're comparing apples to mangos, that's how not even close to similar these 2 bikes are. The only things they have in common is the Giant logo on the bike and that they're both bikes, other than that NADA. NRS suspension was harsh as hell to get as bob free a ride as possible, the new Maestro doesn't give up plushness for efficiency.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. It seems that I must order the new Anthem.
What are the widest possible tyres for the Anthem rear? How much SAG would you recommend and do you ride it with or without platform?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry Dude, can't help you on that one, owned a Trance not Anthem, but same suspension design. As the above poster said though, each manaufacturer makes tyres that might all be marked say 2.1", b ut one manufacturers 2.1" might actually only be 2.0", anothers 2.2" so you'll need to do a more specific search. I would have to assume that it will at least safely fit a 2.25" tyre from any manufacturer.

trelgne said:
Thanks for the input. It seems that I must order the new Anthem.
What are the widest possible tyres for the Anthem rear? How much SAG would you recommend and do you ride it with or without platform?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Some one else who actually owns one would have to chime in here for 100%, but I have a feeling you would be very tight on clearance, any mud encountered you'd have a collection build if they're anything like the Trance was. The bigger tyres would work fine in dry, but once it got wet you just got loaded up with mud and whatever else.

trelgne said:
The maximum tyre I would like to install on the Anthem would be a Schwalbe 2.4 (Nobby Nic, Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph). Width max. 60 mm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I could test the Anthem X1 with a 25% SAG setting. Now I can see the differences to my "30%SAG"-NRS. The Anthem X is superior while descending, but not significantly (read my hints towards the exceptional NRS setup). No bob when sitting, moderate bob when standing, but without the feel of power loss. And when you pedal with higher frequency or accelerate, the bobbing doesn't increase (unlike the 30%SAG-NRS).
In the downhill sections the Anthem clearly is the winner: no impaired suspension under braking, much better stiffness, more reserve towards travel.
And it's significantly lighter. The demoed X1 in size S was perfect for me (1,70m). Does anyone know the weight of the Anthem X frame in size S? In M it is about 2280g.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.