Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am 5-7 tall and now using a 2007 medium Trance (4,2 travel) with a fox 120 fork, and 70mm stem and it is a good fit for me. ( a tiny shorter would not hurt..since I moved the seat on a set back post quite forward, now is like an inline seat post position).,I also have a medium 2007 Heckler which is very good fit. but Im not using it anynmore..I broke badly my shoulder and now Im not using its poetntial at all..140+140mm is way too much for what I do.I go quite slow now and dont risk so much.
Problem is that this 2007 trance is not mine..I took the frame off my father bike and put all my stuff on it ..and Im loving this bike..a lot more ethan the heckler..But I should give it back to my father :))
So now I was thinking to try a 2009/10 Anthem X frame ,(maybe with same fox 120 fork) but I see that medium anthem x is longer than than a 2007 trance ( trance is 23" and anthem x si 23",4) .Should I try the Small Anthem X? It has 22",6 ,which appears to be ok for my height and a low 16" seat tube with with good standover, I am also thinking that I fell good on this 2007 Trance since its standover is really low due to the curved top tube..but on a medium Anthem X the top tube would be straight from seta tube to head tube.
I will not race it, just trail biking.
So what you would suggest?..small or medium Anrthem x?
Thanks all for any imput

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I take it, your LBS doesn't have a S and M bike to decide for yourself. no?

My .02 is your using a pretty short stem on the trance, and the Ax is even longer, so you would need an even shorter stem, which is not ideal for this bike. I say go Small, and use your set-back post the way it was intended......but I'm no fit expert, so don't go get it, based solely on my opinion.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
d365 said:
I take it, your LBS doesn't have a S and M bike to decide for yourself. no?

My .02 is your using a pretty short stem on the trance, and the Ax is even longer, so you would need an even shorter stem, which is not ideal for this bike. I say go Small, and use your set-back post the way it was intended......but I'm no fit expert, so don't go get it, based solely on my opinion.
Hello..yes I could go over my LBS and try it..but I think that Giant bikes uses too long stems on every bike they make..so my try could be not so useful anyway to have better idea of the size...I should try a S and M frame built with my stem ,handlebar ,seatpost and saddle..but this is not possible..Maybe I will try just a small bike and will try to gues how it feels with a shorter stem.

·
Quack Attack
238 Posts
I am your height and have the Medium Anthem X which fits me perfectly. The Anthem feels much smaller (at least to me) than my Medium Trance X.

But best way is try both a Small and Medium and see what fits you best.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dfioc said:
I am your height and have the Medium Anthem X which fits me perfectly. The Anthem feels much smaller (at least to me) than my Medium Trance X.

But best way is try both a Small and Medium and see what fits you best.
I see...how long is the stem you put on ? and also..you dont have stand over problems with the top tube?

·
Quack Attack
238 Posts
Jingleman said:
ok..you use for trail biking?..I mean..is your postion comfortbale and centered or is racey and stretched to the front?
All I do is trail riding...singletrack and fireroads. No racing. I'll be honest and say I can take longer rides with comfort on my Trance X than with the Anthem X. I like to ride the Anthem X when I do training rides with long climbs and/or just want to go fast.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
A good dealer will swap stems and seatposts to get you fitted properly to a bike. They will also have a good idea of what size you should be on. I spent 3 hours at the LBS swapping stems and adjusting the seat position, while I did laps in the parking lot. They gave me a good fit, and sent me home with a different stem to try out later.

The Ax does have a more aggressive geometry, but I find the bike very comfortable, centered, and flickable. I was riding a slightly, slacker 120mm Stumpy, but I like the more aggressive feel of the Ax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.