Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a trance x owner but I enjoy reading through different product reviews to see what others think about a bike or a particular component. I was looking for reviews on the anthem x 29er but wasn't able to find any. Is this because there was a recall on the size s, m and l frames? Thats the only thing that comes to mind....anyways, for those of you currently riding these bikes, which version do you ride and how do you like it? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
swengo86 said:
I'm a trance x owner but I enjoy reading through different product reviews to see what others think about a bike or a particular component. I was looking for reviews on the anthem x 29er but wasn't able to find any. Is this because there was a recall on the size s, m and l frames? Thats the only thing that comes to mind....anyways, for those of you currently riding these bikes, which version do you ride and how do you like it? :thumbsup:
Have the X1. Bad trail conditions so haven't ridden it yet. No reviews since the recall delayed the release so it hasn't been out for long.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dictatorsaurus said:
Have the X1. Bad trail conditions so haven't ridden it yet. No reviews since the recall delayed the release so it hasn't been out for long.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm curious to know....does the 4" of travel feel a bit more bottomless because of the 29" tires and their roll over ability?? Hopefully you're able to get out soon! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run the X1 29er, and also own a x1 26er. I was amazed the first time I got on the 29er. It feels as nimble as my 26er in tight twisty singletrack. It blasts through technical rock and root sections. It really is like cheating. The 26er still has its place, but when you get on the 29er it's like your riding a rocking chair, soooo smooth. It felt natural stepping off my 26er and onto the 29er.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FD5046 said:
I run the X1 29er, and also own a x1 26er. I was amazed the first time I got on the 29er. It feels as nimble as my 26er in tight twisty singletrack. It blasts through technical rock and root sections. It really is like cheating. The 26er still has its place, but when you get on the 29er it's like your riding a rocking chair, soooo smooth. It felt natural stepping off my 26er and onto the 29er.
Would you say that the 29" version of the anthem could be considered more of a trail bike rather than a racer like the 26" bike?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The magazine Australian Mountain Biking just released an issue comparing the Giant Anthem x 29er ($3300AU) against the Trek Superfly 100 Elite ($8999AU).

The Giant juuuust comes out on top, the only beef being the longer stays on the Giant make it less whippy in the tight stuff. But it climbed and descended better. And had a better spec. And for the money, the testers said they'd take the giant every time and spend the extra cash on MTB holidays.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the Giant had better specs and cost $5700AU less? I'm not exactly sure what that equates to in US dollars but it seems like a no brainer between the bikes!

I'll have to head to the local Barnes & Noble to see if I can check out that article.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 29er isn's quite as snappy but I plan on racing mine. I would say that it is an easier bike to ride just because it's so smooth, you really don't just have to use as much energy in corners and techical sections (Especially getting over big rocks). It carries way more speed through rock and root sections. You can also hit corners faster due to the amount of tread on the ground. But that is just it being a 29er really. I did approx a 20 mile time trial and pulled my best time on the 29er over the 26er, but I have also been training pretty hard this winter and am about 15 lbs lighter than when I did it on my 26er. I was skeptical about the 29er, but after being on it for five minutes I was blown away. The next guy might tell you it sucks and it's too heavy, but as for me I love mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FD5046 said:
Ok i totally agree with the feeling that it is like cheating. I also have the XTC 1 29er and love it but this is much smoother and feels like less effort. I haven't timed myself yet but i have to be faster as i'm able to almost keep up with the really fast crowd.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For those of you who are riding the AX 29er....are you converts from the 26" version? Did you ride any other brands before getting the anthem 29er? My next bike will def have big wheels! :D I'm just curious to know how this compares to Spec and Trek??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Guys, very interesting stuff here, I am interested in the Anthem x 29er because I want to start racing but my next bike has to also handle day to day riding duties too because my SC VP-Free is to heavy and slack to be practical. I have read most of the media reviews of the x 29er and all are very positive, the one thing that I get confused about is its ability to handle technical terrain. Don't get me wrong, I realize it isn't an all mountain bike, but I do like to ride pretty rough trails. All the reviews I have read say it handles technical terrain very well but it is hard to tell if the reviews mean that in the context of an XC bike or as a general indicator if its abilities. So to you owners out there, how does it handle technical trail riding? Steep rocky rooty singletrack with small drops etc? I guess I worry that because it is an "xc" bike that it will not be tough enough, that it will bend and dent and damage the rims etc. Just to clarify though, I am not wondering if I could ride it on DH tracks, that would be very stupid of me, but I don't want to feel limited to relatively tame trails.

Thanks Guys!

Ben

·
3 Posts
Video review of Giant Anthem X 29er vs Trek Superfly

Here is a video link of the comparison test that iamamodel mentioned in his post:

http://australianmountainbike.blogspot.com/2011/02/amb-29er-shootout-video-trek-superfly.html

My X 29er 1 will be delivered tomorrow and I am very excited about it. I test rode the M frame which goes up to 5'-10" and the L frame which starts at 5'-10" per Giant. I am 5'-11" and felt comfortable on both. I went with the L. Once I have had some time on the trails with my new toy I can share my impressions of the Giant Anthem X 29er 1.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone run this as a trail bike?? I mean as a 2x10 with a bash guard kind of ride it all type of bike? I know Specialized and Trek both have 29" bikes with more travel that are intended for that type of riding.....Just curious if the X 29er makes the cut in that aspect.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fahrvergnuegen said:
Here is a video link of the comparison test that iamamodel mentioned in his post:

http://australianmountainbike.blogspot.com/2011/02/amb-29er-shootout-video-trek-superfly.html

My X 29er 1 will be delivered tomorrow and I am very excited about it. I test rode the M frame which goes up to 5'-10" and the L frame which starts at 5'-10" per Giant. I am 5'-11" and felt comfortable on both. I went with the L. Once I have had some time on the trails with my new toy I can share my impressions of the Giant Anthem X 29er 1.
Nice...thanks for the link! It seemed strange that they would compare bikes at the opposite end of the price spectrum though....being that those bikes aren't even close to the same price point makes me think that someone who is looking to buy the superfly probably has other bikes on the list to compare rather than the anthem x29...just my 2 cents worth. Still, it was a nice review of the giant! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
278 Posts
First post, first serious MTB as well. I picked up the Ax29er3 this weekend and I'm hoping our trails open up soon. I have a month to be sure it is the right bike for me and started getting a little nervous about how much the bike can handle? I was thinking of this more as an all mountain bike and trail bike. I am curious about the 4" of suspension and if that is enough for the occasional drops and rough stuff.

There really isn't a lot of review information out there. I expect to be more about trails and fun for this year. It is certainly possible that I would get into racing but the immediate goals are better health and fitness and lots of fun.

Lots of information here, have been lurking for a while. I hope some folks with this bike can chime on a couple of my questions. Thanks!

·
Registered
449 Posts
why would anyone be confused as to what kind of bike the anthem 29er is??

it's a lightweight XC race bike.

sure, it's still just a bike, and can pretty much get ridden anywhere you want to ride it, but seriously if you want to box everything into a neat and tidy category then the 71/73 HA/SA should tell you all you need to know.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
swengo86 said:
Would you say that the 29" version of the anthem could be considered more of a trail bike rather than a racer like the 26" bike?
I have a friend that rides Giants & he hated Anthem 26er bikes & loves his Anthem29er for racing & trail so they are an anthing bike.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I put this in the 29 forum.....here is my take. I will use this for everything as it is my only bike.

So today was the big day to test out my new Anthem 29 that I just finished up.

Went for a custom build after selling off stock stuff and moved some things from my Anthem 26 that I sold:

2011 Anthem 29 2 Medium
XTR 2x10 trail group
(38/26 front 11-36 rear)
(180mm rotors)
Answer Pro Taper 720 12.7mm rise bars
Stans Wheels (crest/15mm front/10mm thru rear)
Rocket Ron tires tubeless
Selle Carbon SLR Flow saddle
Carbon post
Syntace stem
Time Atac XS Carbon pedals
ESI chunky grips

24.7lbs complete and ready to ride on the shop scale
(seems a bit heavier that some of the Anthems posted around here for some reason but I am very happy with this weight)

New and old bike:

I went out to a local trail today for the first ride and immediately I felt really comfortable. The suspension/pedaling felt similar to my old Anthem 26 (which I loved.) After riding the Med and Large lots at the shop I made the decision to go with the Medium 29 although my 26 was a Large. (I am 5'11"). The first ride confirmed to me that I made the right choice. I felt a lot better than I did on my 26.

The shifting on the 2x10 XTR was amazing, especially up front. A big change here compared to the 3x9 I was used to. The gearing felt right for the terrain I ride as well (San Franciso area.) The brakes were incredible as well. It was so refreshing after battling Avids for 3 years (and loosing despite constant efforts.) Silent, centered so easily, huge power, great modulation easy adjustment. Almost too much power actually in some areas and I had to adjust my technique for this although I am sure I will appreciate this on a lot of the more hilly trails. I may go down to a 160mm rear rotor?

I went with a wide bar this time as well after riding a friends set up like that. I really like the feel of it so far. I will see what I think after some tighter trails, but there are not that many around here.

The biggest surprise to me was I think just a benefit of moving to a 29er and that was overall traction. I cleared a hill section easily that I would fight spinning out on a lot on my 26 and would clear less than 50% of the time. Rear traction is a huge difference and was felt in many areas, especially climbing. Front traction was also confidence inspiring in corners. I also moved to a tapered head tube, 15mm front axle and 10mm rear axle set up...I am sure that did not hurt in this area as well.

Sorry for the long post but am so excited after the ride today and could not believe how great the bike felt on the first ride. I can really see why there is such a passion around 29ers now!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.