Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lurked around on this forum for years and figured it's time to post something. I've tested multiple other 29er FS's, a couple of which I like (ie Tallboy) a bunch of which I really didn't. After riding the Anthem 29er in stock form several times I knew it was the 29er FS for me. The best suspension out there in my opinion. I'm a big Cannondale Lefty fan too, especially on a 29er so that was a must. I've fallen in love with 2x10 so I knew I had to have that too. The Edge (Enve) wheels are just amazing! They take 99% of the negative aspects of a 29er away with the amazing stiffness and good weight. Onto the spec

And before anyone asks, yes, I have VERY long legs and a short torso so my seatpost is really that high. That's one of the main reasons I'm riding the Giant instead of the Santa Cruz. Longer seat tube.

2011 Giant Anthm 29er frame Large
Cannondale Lefty Carbon 140 with 30mm 29er reduction and air volume reducer for 110mm of travel
Cannondale Lefty adapter
Cane Creek Lower headset cup, Giant upper
Enve Seatpost
Edge 110mm Stem
Edge Sweep bar
Crank Bros Foam lock-on grips
Fizik Aliante Carbon Saddle Kium rails
XX Shifters, Crank, BB, Derailleurs, Cassette, Chain
Formula R1 Brakes, 180mm front, 160mm rear
Edge 29er Wheels, DT 240 rear hub white, Cannondale Lefty front hub white, Aerolite spokes
Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo Tubeless Ready Pacestar tires
Converted to tubeless using DT Swiss Strips.
Look Quartz pedals

I think that's it;)

23.25lbs with pedals and cage.

I don't have an actual ride on it yet. Riding around it feels light and quick. I'm heading to St. George Utah Saturday night for a day of riding. I'll report after.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm glad you got the newer frame for that! Did you build that yourself? What rear shock do you have? Must be a few grand in that build. I was going to ask about the seat height but...
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bataivah said:
I'm glad you got the newer frame for that! Did you build that yourself? What rear shock do you have? Must be a few grand in that build. I was going to ask about the seat height but...
:thumbsup:
I built it myself. The rear shock is the stock RP23. There's a bit invested.;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Can't beat the Maestro rear suspension with a stick either! I've been wanting a Trance or Anthem for my next FS bike. I have an XTC right now for my hardtail ride and a vintage Schwinn Paramount for my ridgid ride. Next is The FS ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bataivah said:
Can't beat the Maestro rear suspension with a stick either! I've been wanting a Trance or Anthem for my next FS bike. I have an XTC right now for my hardtail ride and a vintage Schwinn Paramount for my ridgid ride. Next is The FS ride.
I rode a Trance last year and absolutely loved it! Giant has some great bikes

·
Registered
658 Posts
So that's a Giant shock? No fox Float R? No money left? LOL!
I could handle lowering the seat and thrashing that beast!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just Zach said:
I rode a Trance last year and absolutely loved it! Giant has some great bikes
Yeah, I'm pretty much hooked on Giants myself, but I don't know If I'll be able to find a good deal on a frame when I'm ready to build one.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for pasteing! Did you buy it with the Lefty or build it? Got some build specs? Love black, white, and red combos. Mine is black, white, and silver and the silver's got to go!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Awesome build!

I was looking at the lefty for my trance X, but the headtube was too big. I will be using one on my next build for sure.

Sweet wheels too.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
civil said:
Awesome build!

I was looking at the lefty for my trance X, but the headtube was too big. I will be using one on my next build for sure.

Sweet wheels too.....:thumbsup:
Thanks! Check the Lefty forks for the XL Cannondale frames. They have a longer headtube and work for more frames.

I got to ride the bike today on one of my favorite trails in southern Utah and I have to say I'm in love. So light, so fast, and so much fun. I've had several 29er hardtails but never fell in love. I just couldn't find a spot where this bike had a flaw. I was braking trying not to run into the back of my buddies on 26" bikes too. For what it is it's the best I've ridden.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Your bike is probably lighter than your buddies 26ers' too! I wish I lived in Utah, damn you, Ohio sucks! That top tube still makes me nervous just looking at it! How much weight did the Lefty save you on your build?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Damn Zack, how tall are you? If I didn't see that rear shock I would have thought that was a "26-er"
Nice bike man.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UEDan said:
Damn Zack, how tall are you? If I didn't see that rear shock I would have thought that was a "26-er"
Nice bike man.
Thanks!. I'm 6' 1 3/4" without shoes on but I have a 37.5" inseam. I usually have to ride a large (which this is) so the top tube isn't too long and run the seatpost way high. I've tried running XL with a short stem numerous times but I just never feel as good on the bike compared to going smaller.

·
Addicted
749 Posts
Just Zach said:
Thanks!. I'm 6' 1 3/4" without shoes on but I have a 37.5" inseam. I usually have to ride a large (which this is) so the top tube isn't too long and run the seatpost way high. I've tried running XL with a short stem numerous times but I just never feel as good on the bike compared to going smaller.
I know how that goes. I'm 5'11", 6' if I stand up straight and I have a 36" inseem without shoes on. I have to buy mediums to get the proper reach for me and then run a hell of a lot of seat post.
I've got 12" of exposed post on my medium Reign right now and it's just about perfect length wise with 175mm cranks.
I had a sweet Turner 5 spot but the large was just too long even with a short stem so I went back to a medium.
Oddly enough, my 24,4" top tube DH bike was the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts