Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

When: Sunday January 25, 2009 at 7:00 am Where: Willow Springs, near Oracle, Arizona.
What: Antelope Peak Challenge, an endurance mountain bike race We will be meeting at the Willow Springs Road, just off Highway 77, where we will be riding up some single track near the Biosphere II and toward the AZ Trail just east of Oracle. The new GPX file will be available soon. It will cover parts of last year's course and more single track, approximately 70 miles with around 12,000 feet of climbing.

Camping on site along with a post-race BBQ/beer.

More info here on the Arizona Endurance Series website. Our 2009 grassroots, endurance race calendar is now up on the home page.

Thanks to Dave Petersen for the design of this year's APC flyer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is the antelope challenge single speed friendly? what I mean by friendly is can a mere mortal complete it aboard one. I would like to give it a whorl, but lots of steep technical climbs would probably kill me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
neyezar said:
Is the antelope challenge single speed friendly? what I mean by friendly is can a mere mortal complete it aboard one. I would like to give it a whorl, but lots of steep technical climbs would probably kill me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Maybe Ionsmuse can chime in here since he completed it last year (he was one of 3 people on a SS). The route is tough, geared or single speed although there are sections that are fast. I think the route time should be around 7-8 hours for the finishers and 10 hours max for anyone that is just out enjoying the ride. Hope that helps.

·
3,049 Posts
azepicriderandrunner said:
Maybe Ionsmuse can chime in here since he completed it last year (he was one of 3 people on a SS). The route is tough, geared or single speed although there are sections that are fast. I think the route time should be around 7-8 hours for the finishers and 10 hours max for anyone that is just out enjoying the ride. Hope that helps.
The route last year was pretty good on a single, biggest disadvantage was spinning out a bunch on the northern stretches of Willow Springs road. There are some steep climbs on the gasline you'll walk (I think I walked 3-4), but none of the climbs are that steep, and most can be punched up without much trouble. I remember the AZT out by Antelope being awesome.

DO it!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
thanks for the vote of confidence. Barring catastrophe or just plain fear i'm gonna give this bad boy a go. if i may pick your brain one more time it would be appreciated. I normally run 32 - 19, but the photos of the wide open terrain have me wondering about an 18 on the back. 12,000 ft of elevation screams stay 19. ionmuse what did you run last year?

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ionsmuse said:
30:18 on a rigid 29er. I'd say keep the 19.
We have about 20-25 more miles of double/single track this year that should add some more up to the course (we took off the highway and some of the Willow Sprigns Rd); the Willow Springs Road is broken up with some new single track north of the 24 hour course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.