Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what happened to Answer Products Inc.? I'm trying to get some info on a Manitou Swinger 4 way shock. Did they go out of business?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
Wierd, the site seems to be down. No idea what's going on then. I have to imagine they're still in business. They were showing of some shiny new stuff at Sea Otter- forks with carbon lowers, etc. Can't imagine they'd go to the trouble and expense of making that stuff, if they were closing shop. Dunno about the website. Maybe send Hayes an email.



Folks here might be able to help you out with your question, depending on the nature. Tech stuff, we can deal with. Warranty, etc., obviously not.
 

·
over 50 years of cycling
Joined
·
533 Posts
Sure LOOKS like a total company shutdown!

I am wondering if they have been shut down?

I checked the "alternate" hbsuspension.com website this morning and even called their customer service, since they have my fork THERE on warranty, Got GREAT customer service from Bobby there, but it seemed a bit "sketchy" on how things were being handled on the warranty work and what kind of stock they had to fix or replace the fork.

I wanted to check out the fork they said they were going to send out, BUT
they seemed to be GONE by the end of lunch, just a couple hours after everything SEEMED ok.

The site message is not "temporarily under repair" but says "is no longer available".
Its either the weirdest way of wording a redirected or under repair site message, or they came in and shut the place down at lunchtime on a Friday..... a classic corporate ploy, by the way. (been there)

So, I am hoping they were able to send out the fork before being walked out, IF thats what happened. Otherwise I am completely out of a fork.

I can't imagine its very pleasant for anyone remaining in Valencia, at the very least, since they usually don't move most of the "working staff" when they take over a company and move it halfway across the country....other than maybe a few execs....

But even as a buyout, this seems odd, since their new name is being discontinued too, with no reference to a follow-on site.

My sympathies go out to the worker bees in Valencia if they did a lockout today.
On the other hand I WILL be pissed as hell if I just lost a virtually brand new fork to them. (about half a dozen rides on the Manitou fork before it burped out its oil)
 

·
over 50 years of cycling
Joined
·
533 Posts
HB performance/Hayes/Answer Products/Manitou

006_007 said:
so Hayes now owns Manitou? (checking calendar - nope, not April 1)
If the odd developments of today are any indication...
Hayes might have had second thoughts and bailed on the deal :eek:

ALL links and searches connected with Answer Products or the new Hayes division "HB suspension" seem to be dead as of about noon today.....sorta spooky how thorough and sudden.

Or it might just be a REALLY bad web developer they just hired, or a disgruntled web developer they just fired. :skep:
 

·
over 50 years of cycling
Joined
·
533 Posts
change of tune

gusvar said:
its just getting impossible to even be allowed to make anything in this contry they just buy you and ship you off and ride your name into the dirt then buy the next upstart and ride the name theyve built into the dirt

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/news_031507.shtml
Interesting change in "tone" in the latest update referenced in that link. They seem to have suddenly DROPPED any mention of trying to retain or take care of the former Manitou customers(or employees other than the Director of Marketing), and pulling the site with all its service manuals etc certainly seems to contradict the phoney line they were giving out in a previous press release. I am figuring the odds of getting back the fork I sent in on warranty is slim to none.

Changing their tune, and the EXISTING loyal customers and employees of Manitou get tossed by the wayside. Pretty typical of Corporate Amerika.

It sounded so nice in their previous press release:

"Hayes Bicycle Group, a division of HB Performance Systems Inc., acquired the assets of Answer Products Inc., in November. Answer Products has been renamed HB Suspension Products and is now a part of the Hayes Bicycle Group division. Under this new business arrangement the company will continue to produce Answer™ and Manitou™ brand bicycle suspension forks, shocks, bars and stems.

“I offer my personal assurance that there will be no disruption in company operations,” said Rhonda Kirkwood, vice president and general manager of Hayes Bicycle Group. “We will continue to be responsive and remain dedicated to delivering the highest quality products on time and at competitive prices.” The excellent customer service and support systems that Answer Products’ customers have come to know also will continue, Kirkwood added."

Wha happened????:rolleyes:

I am all for a boycott of Hayes products! Easier for some of us than others though, I suppose. :D
 

·
The Mud Stud
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
Dude, this is freaky. Good bloody luck. Im glad I sent mine in on time. I think its more likely that manitou is now gone forever {now my relic has a name that fits} and that their products will continue to be made, but under hayes suspension or some stupid name like that. They are also moving their shop, which is why they had little inventory on what to send you back. Been there. What fork did they mention it was by the way? This bodes ill for all manitou owners, since now I probably have no warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
I have no idea how it works in USA, but around here warranty for owners stays unchanged if company is acquired by someone else. New owner is responsible for all obligations old company had... including warranty.
Personally I hope I will never need Manitou's warranty, but in case if I will, I do hope legislation we have about stuff like this here, is similar around the world too.
 

·
over 50 years of cycling
Joined
·
533 Posts
Boycott Hayes

Dirt Bringer said:
Dude, this is freaky. Good bloody luck. Im glad I sent mine in on time. I think its more likely that manitou is now gone forever {now my relic has a name that fits} and that their products will continue to be made, but under hayes suspension or some stupid name like that. They are also moving their shop, which is why they had little inventory on what to send you back. Been there. What fork did they mention it was by the way? This bodes ill for all manitou owners, since now I probably have no warranty.
They were first going to send me a no-travel adjustment Minute 2, and adj travel was one of my main criteria, then the VERY helpful Bobby found ONE Nixon Elite in stock and planned to send that out. Of course all the good intentions in the world don't help if they shut it down and walked him out the door before he sent it. I certainly would never have bought a fork with "NIXON" plastered on it, if I had any choice....what a weird name!

Before I totally panic....not that panic would help anyway, I am going to calle to "confirm shipment" on Monday and see if I get through or no one answers the phone.
IF by some miracle I get through, I will ask wazzup with the website. There is still a tiny possibility some understandably disgruntled ex-employee took it down. Hey, I can hope for the best and dream on for a bit!

LEGALLY Hayes might have to honor the Manitou warranties, but they seem to be counting on very few people spending a couple hundred bucks an hour on lawyers and waiting for a year or two to get their fork, as it goes through court. Just time lost from work in court could kill that one being cost feasible for customers.

All we can do is vote with our pocketbooks...
BOYCOTT HAYES PRODUCTS!!!!!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Twisted Trail said:
They were first going to send me a no-travel adjustment Minute 2, and adj travel was one of my main criteria, then the VERY helpful Bobby found ONE Nixon Elite in stock and planned to send that out. Of course all the good intentions in the world don't help if they shut it down and walked him out the door before he sent it. I certainly would never have bought a fork with "NIXON" plastered on it, if I had any choice....what a weird name!

Before I totally panic....not that panic would help anyway, I am going to calle to "confirm shipment" on Monday and see if I get through or no one answers the phone.
IF by some miracle I get through, I will ask wazzup with the website. There is still a tiny possibility some understandably disgruntled ex-employee took it down. Hey, I can hope for the best and dream on for a bit!

LEGALLY Hayes might have to honor the Manitou warranties, but they seem to be counting on very few people spending a couple hundred bucks an hour on lawyers and waiting for a year or two to get their fork, as it goes through court. Just time lost from work in court could kill that one being cost feasible for customers.

All we can do is vote with our pocketbooks...
BOYCOTT HAYES PRODUCTS!!!!!:thumbsup:
Please believe me when I say this empathetically, but, grow up. Manitou, better known as Manipoo, has been pumping out some of the most horrendous, under-performing, seal blowing, spring shooting, oil squirting pieces of poo for many years. I’ve even witnessed 2 Dorados on store floor model bikes oozing great gobs of oil/grease dripping down the lowers onto the hub… just lovely… I think the bike was tagged on sale for only $4999 or something :rolleyes:

There are two main reasons to purchase a company. Either because they are a competitor and purchasing them is part of a long range strategic goal or they are going for cheap because they have been hemorrhaging $$ and cannot get the crap together.

Strategic Goal: Pump more money into the brand/company and make it even stronger.

Cheap Purchase: Fillet and gut them till the $$ hemorrhaging stops. Keep a few key personal around as you rebuild the brand name.


Btw, I’ve been involved in both scenarios. It’s not easy seeing your boss, who’s highly respected, smart and poured 17 years into a company, get fired and then have to pick up the slack only to come to work one day and see a note from your old boss in your desk drawer encouraging you and praising the work you did for them. I got the axe some time later. Yes, it was very-very difficult, but….

Now, and for the past 10 years, I’ve been working for a great company. Very strong financials and recently purchased by a large conglomerant after we had purchased some smaller fish. We have been hiring and growing throughout my emplacement. I also have a boss who cares and listens; he reminds me of my former boss in that regard.

So, long story short, the former Manitou employees will recover… eventually… some had [probably] already left. They will have hard times – some very hard times, but you need to continue and push forward even if you’re knocked backwards; I spent 4.5 years in between jobs painting houses. But, boycotting Hayes for being shrewd business men/women is only going to hurt their employees and possibly create more unemployment.

Let’s pray for a quick and painless recovery for the boys & girls in Valencia. Ands let’s hope Hayes can breathe some life into that brand, continue to grow and make quality products so their employees have some stability.
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
jumping the gun, don't you think?

Twisted Trail said:
BOYCOTT HAYES PRODUCTS!!!!!:thumbsup:
Don't you think your jumping the gun? For all you know, that Nixon could show up at your door this week!

Why don't we give Hayes more than a few days (two of which are on the weekend!) before crying WOLF.

They were at Sea Otter...they wouldn't have spent the money to be there with Manitou product if they were planning on continuing the brand.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and let things fall into place. If in a couple of weeks, there still is no word on Manitou and you haven't got your fork...then by all means, call for a Hayes boycott

Before that though, lets take our ritalin and chill a little:yesnod:
 

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
FYI for those that aren't nearby:

I live pretty close to Answer/Manitou HQ, so I thought I would drop by while I was out this afternoon and see what I could see. The only thing I could see that's out of the ordinary from business as usual is the "For Lease" sign out by the street and that has been there for a time already.

I parked and peered through the lobby doors and everything looked normal. All the plaques and pictures were still on the wall and I saw no evidence of a Rob Irsay/Baltimore Colts style pack up in the middle of the night and hot-foot outta town thing happenning.

There were three cars in the parking lot (Sunday evening at 5:45 p.m.), one of which had an MTB stuffed into the back. They always keep the exterior cleaned up and it was this time too. It looked like a functioning business to me.

The website snafu is not the way I would hope things like this would be handled, but I don't think it's quite time to 'get-some-rope' yet. I hope this can ease the minds of those with pending business until we see some sort of announcement.

Regards,
Jeff
 

·
over 50 years of cycling
Joined
·
533 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Don't you think your jumping the gun? For all you know, that Nixon could show up at your door this week!

Why don't we give Hayes more than a few days (two of which are on the weekend!) before crying WOLF.

They were at Sea Otter...they wouldn't have spent the money to be there with Manitou product if they were planning on continuing the brand.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and let things fall into place. If in a couple of weeks, there still is no word on Manitou and you haven't got your fork...then by all means, call for a Hayes boycott

Before that though, lets take our ritalin and chill a little:yesnod:
My bike happened to come with Manipoo, otherwise I would never have bought that brand, based on an amazing run of recalls they have had, if for no other reason.

Hayes, Answer, HB suspension, whatever the hell they are called this week, has caused me to be without my NEW bike for a month, which makes me cranky.

They gave me ****, I deserve to be able to give them some **** back in return.

Note that I also said this COULD just be some disgruntled employee pulling down their website, if you had actually READ my posts, you dimbulbs.

As an engineer in high tech, I have been through a bunch or buyouts and closedowns, and recovered just fine, thank you very much.
I apologise for having some empathy for the Answer employees that are tossed by the wayside. I was trying to be nice in spite of the fact they make a **** product.
 

·
Bum Buzzer
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
All of my Answer and Manitou products have been great. Customer service as well.

I believe you are speaking to Bobby Acuna who is a stand-up guy and I have dealt with him s far back as 2001 - that would indicate staff is retained.

Dont make assumptions and take action or comment based on them. And if you dont like these '****' prodcuts then sell it, can it, and move on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Twisted Trail said:
My bike happened to come with Manipoo, otherwise I would never have bought that brand, based on an amazing run of recalls they have had, if for no other reason.

Hayes, Answer, HB suspension, whatever the hell they are called this week, has caused me to be without my NEW bike for a month, which makes me cranky.

They gave me ****, I deserve to be able to give them some **** back in return.

Note that I also said this COULD just be some disgruntled employee pulling down their website, if you had actually READ my posts, you dimbulbs.

As an engineer in high tech, I have been through a bunch or buyouts and closedowns, and recovered just fine, thank you very much.
I apologise for having some empathy for the Answer employees that are tossed by the wayside. I was trying to be nice in spite of the fact they make a **** product.

Hang in there. I was smack in the middle of a warranty claim when GT was going under a few years back. Production had ceased and it didn't look good. But, a sympathetic employee within GT, probably one of his last good deeds before Pacific took over, sent me a custom frame. I've been riding ever since :)

So you never know. Hopefully your situation ends the same way.
 

·
The Mud Stud
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
They appear to be going through some hard times. Well see how this plays out. My old minute would have caused me to hate manitou, but, they were actually very helpfull. The turned my shipment around 3 times to get me the right fork, and this was only about 3 weeks ago. On top of that, so far my relic has been the fork I have always wanted, so maybe this points to the company turning around {finally} and really gettting good. By the way, my minute took about 1 month plus 2 weeks to turn around. So yes, they may be slow, but they get the job done, and with those new forks Im seeing, I doubt they are dumping manitou.
 

·
over 50 years of cycling
Joined
·
533 Posts
Huck Banzai said:
All of my Answer and Manitou products have been great. Customer service as well.

I believe you are speaking to Bobby Acuna who is a stand-up guy and I have dealt with him s far back as 2001 - that would indicate staff is retained.

Dont make assumptions and take action or comment based on them. And if you dont like these '****' prodcuts then sell it, can it, and move on.
Bobby rocks! Plain and simple. I have remarked a number of times in various threads about how he is doing an exceptional job, and going above and beyond. I even sent a special note to their customer service e-mail commending him for the exceptional job he is doing....although they don't seem to answer e-mail, so I don't know if it did any good.

Apparently I am the first one to diss a product on this forum. :rolleyes:
....so apparently the Turner owners don't count with their remarks about just about anything....:D

And I am sure my offhand joke in one post, in one thread, about boycotting Hayes ( I own NO Hayes products) will indeed become a movement and do irreparable harm to Hayes. And I would hate to sully their spotless reputation as they implement this buyout with only the highest stanards of ethics. :rolleyes:

Back to watching my new Ellsworth swinging by a hook....forkless.....
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top