Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they have head-tube issues, but otherwise how do they ride? Bearing in mind that we're talking about a nearly 15 year old design. I've admired them since the beginning, but never owned one. I have some free time now and may start the search for a new project bike there. Any and all advice, stories, pics, etc are welcome....who's the resident expert around here???

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
415m3 said:
I know they have head-tube issues, but otherwise how do they ride? Bearing in mind that we're talking about a nearly 15 year old design. I've admired them since the beginning, but never owned one. I have some free time now and may start the search for a new project bike there. Any and all advice, stories, pics, etc are welcome....who's the resident expert around here???
What ever you do...make sure you color coordinate your anodized bits.

If you have all blue bits..and mix it with...say...green anodized cranks. Total fashion no no.

:p

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rumpfy said:
As another thought...it'd be cool if you found one of the Marin titanium versions of that bike. Might also be safer as the Manitous do break easy.
Hey now, there's an idea! And never you mind about my anodized bits.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Expert, no

but I'll tell you, my 94 Manitou Fs was one of my favorite bikes of all time. I must have got one of the good ones, because I rode this bike more than any other for several years, sold it to a buddy who rode it like mad, then he sold it.

And yes, making sure all the parts match well is important. Jersey should be coordinated too.
:D

Attachments

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
The one big no-no is when someone color co-ordinates their whole bike to an anodized color and then run a rainbow fade on the alu-nipples. Like they think no-one will see the different colors on the wheel just coz the nipples are so small.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
erkan said:
The one big no-no is when someone color co-ordinates their whole bike to an anodized color and then run a rainbow fade on the alu-nipples. Like they think no-one will see the different colors on the wheel just coz the nipples are so small.
And everyone knows...when we see something attractive, the first thing we look at are the nipples. :p

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Nice wall piece

415m3 said:
Keep in mind that the travel is controlled 100% by elastomers front and rear, and there is no rebound control per se, you should get the hint that they pogo very well!

Mine was a gorgeous bike. Frame/fork purchased from CBO in late '94 to pi$$ off my then-spouse. I spent $1500 on the frame/fork and another $2000 building it up. That bike was a beaut! Hammering along the trails there in Tucson, AZ while watching the brake housing near the seat stay go up and down with every pedal stroke made my heart sink. They changed the design in '95. Not as pretty of course.

I wouldn't mind having my old one (with prerequisite anodized purple bit and pieces) hanging in my garage, but I sure wouldn't ride another...I'd go back to my Wicked Fat Chance first. :D

Michael

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have several Manitou FS bikes and I like them all. The ride is just perfect but nothing in comparison with a modern bike. The pogo effect is not that bad (my opinion) and can be reduced with an Englund or Wings tuning set (although they are hard to find for the rear suspension)

That's the one for display:

That's the one I ride until it cracks:

·
Sneaker man
3,656 Posts
415m3 said:
mine doesn't have cracks in the head tube, but in the rear suspension crown, in all the CNC bits... still works ok, but lots of slop... I never found the bob to be much problem, you just rode it, but i did find that speed bumps on downhills to be scary, the rear would rebound and you'd be nose down doing a big endo. not cool when your already on a steep decent going flat out...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.