Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nowdays, many bike lights announce wrong lumens to cheat customer. Even some famous brand. This situation are very close to the flashlight market between years 2004~2008.
But in years 2009, the ANSI/NEMA FL-1 standard come out, many famous flashlight brand start to uses this standard. Then the false flashlight performance becomre more and more unpopularity.
I want to know if there are any standard in Bike light industry? Because we really want to know the true performance of each bike light!
The true lumens, beam distance,runtime, waterproof standard....
If we don't have a standard, can we use ANSI/NEMA FL-1 standard? Or maybe ANSI/NEMA BL-1 standard?

Andy

·
Registered
263 Posts
That would be lovely, but I'd settle for a simple max candlepower value (the amount of light projected from the center of the beam), like every single architectural light for the last 100 years or so. From this, you can use the Inverse Square Law to calculate footcandles or lux at a given distance. We could certainly argue about those units and their validity, but that is a separate rant. At least they are quantifiable and give a relative value of the projected light.

When using just a lumen value, it's like saying, "I have a gallon of water. How deep is it?" Until candlepower values are published, I'm going to take the lumens advertised and cut it 50%.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sure, my bottom bracket is standard. It's a BSA, no, um, BB30. Or maybe it's Octalink, with an ISIS bolt. Or maybe I PressFit a Campy taper into my BushNiner eccentric, where my BMX shell should be. And one thread is Italian, but I can't remember which one. And it uses cotters, but only on the JIS side.

Hmmm, maybe the industry sells us too much horsepucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts