Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got it together just in time for snow to melt. This frame catches more mud than a chainstay ubrake.

89 Yeti Fro
yeti stem
FTW antler bar ends
king headset
cook bros ti bar
bullseye hubs
campy centaur levers
ird post
avocet m30 saddle
white ind. ti botom bracket
syncros ti extractors
wtb toe flips
Suntour xc9000 acushift front shifter
suntour 7sp xc-pro everything else

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,764 Posts
Nice Brake Levers

Did you build 'em like that? The mismatched colours looks good; the clamps bled almost seamlessly withthe bar.

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rumphy
Shayne you obviously dont know squat about the secret ultra exclusive campagnolo team levers. These were specially made out of a space age polimer that is secret military spec. VERY LIGHT. Next time if you don know you should not say any thing because you obviously dont know whats what when it comes to camp or klein....

Ha that was great. I lent a buddy my all black centaur levers. When he returned the he had stripped the threads that hold the lever to the bar. The local distributer was closing out the bullhorn euclid levers with ubrake sets for $25. So I made him buy me a set.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Cool bike. I have an 89 similar to that with the older features combined with the 1 1/4" head tube.

Very refreshing build. Of all the campy parts from that era, those levers are probably the best. Nice feel on those.

More dirty vintage pics please. :)

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I made some updates. The xc pro stuff is out. Now I remember why I had taken it of my p23 so many years back. Changed to shimano rear shifting. I was going to use a dura ace 7 speed freewheel or a sachs but then I figured I'd give one of those cheapy shimano hg freewheel. Guess what. It works great. I have 10 rides on it with not one problem. I also changed the brakes. The xc pros are actually great breaks but When I think early yetis I think grafton brakes. Since I dont have those I put the campys on there. I also swapped out the cranks for a set of specialized flag cranks.

So now that I have some miles on this bike I can clearly tell you what I think of the fro. What a pain in the ass this bike is to ride. You have to put so much thought into riding it. It feels like a race car. But not a good one. Maybe I just got so spoiled by the fast comfy ride of my p23. It climbs well but no better than any other I've ever ridden. Its got to be the bmx style straight fork. It feels so twitchey. This may end up on the rack for a loaner.

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
ckevlar said:
So now that I have some miles on this bike I can clearly tell you what I think of the fro. What a pain in the ass this bike is to ride. You have to put so much thought into riding it. It feels like a race car. But not a good one. Maybe I just got so spoiled by the fast comfy ride of my p23. It climbs well but no better than any other I've ever ridden. Its got to be the bmx style straight fork. It feels so twitchey. This may end up on the rack for a loaner.
Shame on you.

Let's make a trade ;)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
ckevlar said:
Bingo. I could never figure out why people fawned over these things back in the day. They were heavy, crudely made by comparison with other builder's frames, required a BMX (gasp!) headset, and the ride quality was no where near that of a Salsa or Ritchey or... But MBA loved them and we all know the power of the press...

·
Registered
82 Posts
ssmike said:
Bingo. I could never figure out why people fawned over these things back in the day. They were heavy, crudely made by comparison with other builder's frames, required a BMX (gasp!) headset, and the ride quality was no where near that of a Salsa or Ritchey or... But MBA loved them and we all know the power of the press...
Interesting comments SSMike!

I don't think any of the Yeti fans would argue about the weight.

I'd be intererested if you could expand on "crudely made by comparision with other builders frames"? I've seen and ridden many Yetis, Fats, Salsas, Bontragers etc and not experienced/observed any notable differences in build quality. Of course none have the build quality of my Roberts DOGS BOLX and that will remain my yardstick forever :thumbsup:

And as for ride quality, isn't that a subjective topic? Surely many 1000's of MTBers including a fair few on this forum cannot be wrong? We have a saying on retrobike, "blondes and brunettes". I think that closes this aspect of our discussion ;)

But still as the man DC says, kudos for calling it as you see it.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
MCK-74 said:
Interesting comments SSMike!

I don't think any of the Yeti fans would argue about the weight.

I'd be intererested if you could expand on "crudely made by comparision with other builders frames"? I've seen and ridden many Yetis, Fats, Salsas, Bontragers etc and not experienced/observed any notable differences in build quality. Of course none have the build quality of my Roberts DOGS BOLX and that will remain my yardstick forever :thumbsup:

And as for ride quality, isn't that a subjective topic? Surely many 1000's of MTBers including a fair few on this forum cannot be wrong? We have a saying on retrobike, "blondes and brunettes". I think that closes this aspect of our discussion ;)

But still as the man DC says, kudos for calling it as you see it.
You forgot about redheads.

By "crudely made" I simply meant that the quality of construction was not "pretty." Maybe the early 90's frames had improved over the late 80's frames. Maybe I was just expressing an opinion as they aren't my cup 'o tea.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Kev,

As you know I have a Pro FRO. It is a proper frame and I like it. It could very well be it is the best Yeti frame for all day use (with a certain gap). Anyway, finishing: Next to the Yeti I have/had T-Max, Yo (Serotta again), Phoenix, Grove and some bikes by Japanese mass producers (mainly Miyata). By taking a closer look with all of the bikes look like their manufacturers were more sincere on delivering a well finished product than at Yeti. Maybe it subjective to some extend, but welding noticibly looks not as neat and the vinyl decals collect dirt at the edges. On the other hand I understand bending the tail out of one tube isn't easy, so maybe that makes up for time saving by lack of accuracy in welding.

·
1,529 Posts
Rumpfy said:
The ARC I rode was nice. I like(d) how my Ultimate rode and look forward to having it built again.

No doubt they don't have the same grace that my Ritchey or Salsa have.
I think 'grace' is the best used term yet. Or lack of grace. It just isn't the word that comes to mind when I think about any steel Yeti.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.