Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day All -

Forgive me if there is a thread on this. I have done a search and it came up zero.

I'm looking for advice on a new set of tyres for my rigid Soma. These will be my everyday trail tyre (I have my Schwalbe RR's for racing). I'm looking for something with reasonable volume but not too large because of rear clearance issues - my RR 2.25's just clears the rear chain stays and front derailleur. The front I'm not too concerned about as it's an On-One carbon fork.

The terrain I ride in 90% of the time is a loose over sandstone base, rough, rutted and rocky with a mix of sand thrown in for good measure. During summer these trails get extremely dusty and with the first rain the dust usually gets washed away exposing the rutted rocky trail.

Anyway, I'm looking for a suitable tyre for this sort of terrain? Any suggestions?

TIA!

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Steve - all fall I've been using a Hutchinson Python here in Miami, Florida. Since it's our dry season, the trails are a fine loose powder over hardpack, with lots of coral rock and roots, pockets of sand. The Python has done great as a rear driver, and is wearing well with the abrasive coral rock. This is a bit less voluminous than a RR 2.25 so it'll afford you some room. I could also recommend a Bontrager Xdx but it's the same size volume wise as the 2.25 RR.

Up front I'm using a Maxxis Ardent - great rolling tire with impeccable handling traits for the trail type you describe.

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GreenLightGo said:
Steve - all fall I've been using a Hutchinson Python here in Miami, Florida. Since it's our dry season, the trails are a fine loose powder over hardpack, with lots of coral rock and roots, pockets of sand. The Python has done great as a rear driver, and is wearing well with the abrasive coral rock. This is a bit less voluminous than a RR 2.25 so it'll afford you some room. I could also recommend a Bontrager Xdx but it's the same size volume wise as the 2.25 RR.

Up front I'm using a Maxxis Ardent - great rolling tire with impeccable handling traits for the trail type you describe.
Thanks for tip, although I'm not a huge fan of Hutchinson's. Have had a couple of sets of their road tyres that were enough to put me off for life... :(

Am starting to think of maybe a Specialized Fast Trak LK or Geax as a rear tyre. Hadn't thought of the Ardent but will check it out...

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Geax Saguaro would be a great rear tire too. Wears well also.

Understand on the Python. I was not a fan of the 26" size - totally different experience on the 29er version. It works for me here and now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Steve_N said:
Thanks for tip, although I'm not a huge fan of Hutchinson's. Have had a couple of sets of their road tyres that were enough to put me off for life... :(

Am starting to think of maybe a Specialized Fast Trak LK or Geax as a rear tyre. Hadn't thought of the Ardent but will check it out...
Ive been running a Captain in the front and a Small Block Eight in the rear on Phoenix trails, which similar to what you described. Took the eight off and have put on another Captain on the rear and I am way slower but grips and brakes better as the Eight is showing some wear. I might try a Fast Tracks-Sworks as heard is good combo. But for speed/racing the Small Block is super fast!

·
Registered
26 Posts
bontrager jones ACX 29x2.2
Really an impressive tire. I does everything really, really well. Not the fastest but I didn't think it was all that bad. MBA rated it #1 29er tire back in september. The best I've riden in cornering and traction. They also have pretty good volume and I would say just a little smaller than my racing ralph. They are pretty light and can also be set up tubeless. Would make a great training tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.