Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, another "which bike" thread. Almost exactly one year ago, my children joined a local MTB club. I bought the kids Specialized Pitch Experts. They've loved every minute on those bikes. I realize that they are "good" but not the best; however, but I could just see a child riding the thing for a few months and then having it abandoned in the garage. I knew absolutely NOTHING about bikes, hadn't ridden myself in about 15 years, and had never been off road. I was interested in perhaps riding along with them. At the suggestion of the shop employee, I bought a Specialized Jynx and it's sorta fun, but a year into it, I already feel that it's not the right bike for me. My rode my daughter's Pitch and I like it more than my Jynx. We rented Trek Fuel EXes on vacation and I loved that but I want to stick with hardtail. So, in a case of buyer beware, I am looking for a new ride. My budget is $1,000 - $1,500 (I'd like to stick to the lower end, but maybe I can get something for my Jynx. I'm looking at some version of the Rockhopper or a Trek X-Caliber. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I'd check out the Vitus Sentier, Nukeproof Scout, Whyte 901, Diamondback Sync'r, Trek Roscoe.

There are different pricepoints on each of these models, but they all offer versions in the ~$1000-1500 range. Most of those offer good value (the trek a bit less so... but the trek is also the easiest to find locally, so I thought I'd throw it in there as well), and are pretty proven hardtail trail bikes.

Personally, I'd be looking for a bike that comes with a 1x drivetrain, air fork, thru axles, and a dropper post (or at least supports upgrading to one).

For my money, in that price range, I'd be buying the Nukeproof scout race, or Whyte 901.

Good luck finding something that you like :).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I am kicking myself for not getting what I really wanted the first time, but live and learn. Besides, the husband has had years of expensive hobbies and I've had none so I'm due a treat.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Read Only
2,175 Posts
I bought a cheap hardtail and ended up upgrading it, making it ride really nice. However, for the money, I could've gotten a nicer FS. If you're set on a HT, then that's ok. Just get something better. Look at Santa Cruz Highball.

·
Registered
506 Posts
In these threads it might help to let people know some info such as your style and abilities on the bike, are you looking to progress?, the terrain you'll be riding most, and maybe your height. You'd be surprised how many people get sold an ill fitting bike.

That being said, throwing this one out there as the dark horse. For the money the build is solid. Don't let the slack head angle fool you, in the coming years it will be pretty standard stuff.

https://www.commencalusa.com/Mobile/meta-ht-am-origin-2019-c2x26304814

Disclaimer: I am a proponent of the new longer/ slacker geo on bikes these days as it has benefits going up and down and for experts and beginners alike. IMO the more stable and confident you feel on a bike the more fun you're bound to have.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, more info might make for better recommendations. I've been riding about a year but skills aren't that great. I'm in upstate NY, so riding is roots and trees (and currently mud). XC, not downhill. At approaching 50, I'm a bit of a timid rider, but I'd like to change that. My daughter (who is called Dare Devil) keeps saying "Mom, just loosen up and go! If you don't think too much about it, you're already there. Besides, I'll fish you out of the stream if you fall off and land in." I'm tall and light at 5'10" and 140 or so pounds. I ride 2-3x week (sometimes more) in spring and summer. I will never be a "serious" rider. I may race, but more than likely will not. Still, I want something good that that won't break the bank.

·
jcd's best friend
3,406 Posts
Yes, more info might make for better recommendations. I've been riding about a year but skills aren't that great. I'm in upstate NY, so riding is roots and trees (and currently mud). XC, not downhill. At approaching 50, I'm a bit of a timid rider, but I'd like to change that. My daughter (who is called Dare Devil) keeps saying "Mom, just loosen up and go! If you don't think too much about it, you're already there. Besides, I'll fish you out of the stream if you fall off and land in." I'm tall and light at 5'10" and 140 or so pounds. I ride 2-3x week (sometimes more) in spring and summer. I will never be a "serious" rider. I may race, but more than likely will not. Still, I want something good that that won't break the bank.
Most people aren't serious riders so you are in good company ;)

I think you would like the DB Sync'r or even the Trek Roscoe! I would lean more towards the Roscoe so you have much easier access to Trek shops for warranty repairs. I'm not 100 percent sure how DB does their warranty work. If I had to guess, they have a network of dealers (such as REI) that may do that work for them.

·
jcd's best friend
3,406 Posts
I will look into who sells DB locally (or semi-locally) there's a brand new Trek shop here. I was there last night looking at all the shiny new inventory.
Trek started up a new business model that they pushed across the states. Instead of having a franchise, they are now corporate owned stores. You will probably see way more Trek shops now! I have 3 within 30 mins of my house! I was actually hired to work at my local Trek shop as a bike mechanic and I start at the end of this month.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally made it over to look at bikes. I settled on the Roscoe 8. My budget almost expanded to a Fuel EX, but I never spend money on myself so this seemed extravagant enough. It should be in Friday. Hopefully it will stop raining so I can take it out over the weekend!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You will love it! Rode one when my LBS gave one to me as a loaner while waiting on a frame warranty. Fun, stable and capable. Almost bought the loaner, but like you I seldom splurge on myself.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you are with the dilemma of finding what fits. Hopefully once I get my post up I can be enlightened too. Heh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.