Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'10" 230LBS... I'm new to mountain biking/cycling and I'm looking for a good FS bike for 800-900 dollars or less. Mostly cross country but decent uphill/downhill performance as well.

After what i've looked at I'm considering the Fezzari Abajo Peak at Costco for $850 and the K2 Attack 2.0 at the local REI for $830. The LBS carries Trek, Klein, Rocky Mountain and Orbea bikes. I'm definatly open to options I've not thought of.

Other than that I thought about buying a cheapo at walmart or something to turn into a project bike... buying high end parts off of ebay and gradually upgrading it while having a ridable bike at the same time.

It will not be used for commuting(I'll buy a cheap 50-60 dollar MTB from walmart for that) except for riding to trails and back. Only recreational use on the tons of trails we have around here.

Appreciate the input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
You may want to consider the Specialized FSR XC. It has many great reviews. If purchased new, it's a few hundred dollars above your price point. However, I have an almost brand new 2005 Specialized FSR XC full suspension bike (L), which fits riders 5' 9 to 6' 2, that I will sell for $800. I purchased the bike new in October, and it has less than 50 miles on it. I've come to realize that I don't really need a full suspension bike for the type of riding I do. The bike lists new for over $1,200. If you are interested send me an email at [email protected].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked up that bike and found it at a bike shop down in Seattle for 850(http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=2811&cid=2), after shipping and all that It probably would be about the same or a little more... so I would buy new if you're asking 800. You'd probably be better selling it to someone else... but it does look like an excellent bike. I'm going to go ahead and read some reviews on it, looks like a good option to add to my short list.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
You should really go down about 3 more Threads to Clydesdales & repost your question. You will get better advise from people who are in your height & weight.
Stay away from CostCo bikes, thes sell junk, dont know how to assemble properly & will not help you with anything especially warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
for that much money your pretty limited.have you looked at the iron horse warrior series?decent bikes and oneline can be had for good prices.

also for that much have you considered a hardtail?you can get a good solid hartail for that muhc,and if its gonan be your first reeal mt. bike,i think a hardtail is a better choice.as far as i know,i think that 95%of the riders here started seriously riding on hardtails.if your just starting then think of the benefits-lesss moving part to worry/take care of,easier to pedal,bigger selection in price range,and generally a more quality peice for your momey then a F/S for that price.

another thing is,learning to ride ona hardtail is nice becuase it helps make you a smooter rider...iv only been riding a few years,and just recently got a F/S and it really does help.instead of just using the bike to bomob throguh stuff,i naturally look for a snooth line.and at times i even sometimes wish i was rding my hardtail,faster and easier to pedal...

but anyway good luck with your choice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dd13 said:
for that much money your pretty limited.have you looked at the iron horse warrior series?decent bikes and oneline can be had for good prices.

also for that much have you considered a hardtail?you can get a good solid hartail for that muhc,and if its gonan be your first reeal mt. bike,i think a hardtail is a better choice.as far as i know,i think that 95%of the riders here started seriously riding on hardtails.if your just starting then think of the benefits-lesss moving part to worry/take care of,easier to pedal,bigger selection in price range,and generally a more quality peice for your momey then a F/S for that price.

another thing is,learning to ride ona hardtail is nice becuase it helps make you a smooter rider...iv only been riding a few years,and just recently got a F/S and it really does help.instead of just using the bike to bomob throguh stuff,i naturally look for a snooth line.and at times i even sometimes wish i was rding my hardtail,faster and easier to pedal...

but anyway good luck with your choice
What about stiffening the suspension on a FS bike... or does that only help so much?

If I were to consider a hardtail... I assume I should have minimal trouble throwing the parts off of a hardtail onto a FS frame when I'm ready to make the upgrade? I haven't had a chance to check the bikes out at the local bike shop... but their website says they carry Trek bikes... what would you recommend off of the Trek hardtail line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
your not going to be able to stiffen the suspension enough to make much difference on a 900$ bike.i really would look into a hardtail,and yes,you can get your hardtail and swap components fairly easily.you may find a hardtail is all you need and just upgrade components on it instead of buying a F/S frame in the future.

iv even been thinking in the recent weeks,was buying a F/S the rite thing to do?i mean its nice,but i am really thinking if id get more use out of my "big" bike if it was a hartail instead of a F/S...i love my SGS i just put a DC on it,but just pop off my components,grab a morphine frame and have a super sick bike.sorry to rant,its late and i felt like sharing
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
here's your benchmark

I know you want to look at all the 700+ bikes out there, but your size and weight dictate reality: start here:

Kona

Fits your budget and your needs and your size and it's a damn good bike. As the previous poster said, check out Clydesdale forum.

Jim
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
Dont wast your money on a full suspension bike. I checked out Trek so you can go to your LBS with some info, http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1032600&f=19 I dont know alot about the Trek line but this one seemed prety well put together for the price. Check the Clydesdale threads you can find some really good info there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im also now considering specialized... I think I've pretty much been convinced to go with a hardtail... at least for now.

I found out there is a 2nd LBS in another part of town... they carry specialized. I'm looking at these two bikes:

Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc for $710 -
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Hardrock&bikeTab=techspec

Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc for $880 -
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12990&bikeTab=techspec

Do the upgraded components on the rockhopper justify the increase in price?

The last bike I had was a craptastic mongoose from walmart, and it was horrible... mushy full suspension... horrid gear shifting and on and on. I really want to get into the sport and I don't want to ruin it by getting a bike I wont be happy with... I want to do it right the first time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hehe, there's so many bikes to choose from... I looked at the gary fisher line just now... and saw something interesting.

Gary Fisher Genesis Tassajara Disc $889 -
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-genesis&bike=Tassajara_Disc

For about the same amount it appears to have the same or better components as the Rockhopper model for $880... all except the fork, which appears to be better on the rockhopper.

Whaddya think?
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
Knutsen said:
Hehe, there's so many bikes to choose from... I looked at the gary fisher line just now... and saw something interesting.
Gary Fisher Genesis Tassajara Disc $889 -
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-genesis&bike=Tassajara_Disc
For about the same amount it appears to have the same or better components as the Rockhopper model for $880... all except the fork, which appears to be better on the rockhopper.
Whaddya think?
Personal issue, im not a Fisher fan but it has a better fork, i like Manitou but prefer a coil sring instead of air, & comes with hydrolic brakes instead of cable. The main problem with a air fork is you have to check the pressures beffor every ride.
 

·
Portland, OR
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
I would go for a hardtail and I wouldent even bother swapping to a FS frame. for what you want to do, a hardtail is all you'll ever need. you can even get away with the specialized hardrock comp and save yourself some bones. the rockhopper is also nice, but at your size and weight, I would go with a kona hoss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,135 Posts
Knutsen said:
the K2 Attack 2.0 at the local REI for $830.
Forget the K2. I have (well had...) on and I'm 40lbs lighter than you and I'm way too heavy for the Attack's suspension. Freaking K2 couldn't even tell me where to find a spring for their no-name shock. That bike does not climb or descend well. It's really only fit for stuff marginally above rail trails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
todd_freeride said:
I would go for a hardtail and I wouldent even bother swapping to a FS frame. for what you want to do, a hardtail is all you'll ever need. you can even get away with the specialized hardrock comp and save yourself some bones. the rockhopper is also nice, but at your size and weight, I would go with a kona hoss
Wow, thanks for mentioning the Hoss... hydraulic brakes, sturdy frame ( sexy too i might add), decent midrange components all around... only weak point I can see is the fork and thats a fairly easy upgrade I can take care of the future.

Looks like the one :D

What are some decent after market suspension forks... air preferably... say in the 200-300 dollar range to slap on there?
 

·
Portland, OR
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
Knutsen said:
Wow, thanks for mentioning the Hoss... hydraulic brakes, sturdy frame ( sexy too i might add), decent midrange components all around... only weak point I can see is the fork and thats a fairly easy upgrade I can take care of the future.

Looks like the one :D

What are some decent after market suspension forks... air preferably... say in the 200-300 dollar range to slap on there?
I beat the hell out of a marzocchi EXR comp. wasnt a very good fork, but it might be for XC or something. you can get like RS rebas or do what my friend did, Rockshox J4. hes been harsh on it, some downhill, DJ and mostly all mountain riding. its held up so far. the dirtjam will work for what you want it to do. you might be able to pick up a pike or something used.
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
Bellingham advice

if you want a different fork, upgrade at time of purchase, that's the best way to go. Most shops will take off the DJ fork and replace it with a decent fork of your choice, and credit you the (wholesale) value of the original fork.

In the Pacific Northwet, Marzocchi seems to last best. I can't tell you about which one though as I have no idea about trail forks, I stick mainly to FR myself.

The Hoss is designed just north of you in Vancouver BC, and Kona has offices in Ferndale if you ever need to contact them. It's made for here, not any typical XC trails elsewhere.

Good luck, Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JimC. said:
if you want a different fork, upgrade at time of purchase, that's the best way to go. Most shops will take off the DJ fork and replace it with a decent fork of your choice, and credit you the (wholesale) value of the original fork.

In the Pacific Northwet, Marzocchi seems to last best. I can't tell you about which one though as I have no idea about trail forks, I stick mainly to FR myself.

The Hoss is designed just north of you in Vancouver BC, and Kona has offices in Ferndale if you ever need to contact them. It's made for here, not any typical XC trails elsewhere.

Good luck, Jim
That's a pretty cool bit of info, the Kona website says their "world headquarters" is in Ferndale... I had no idea. That's definately a strong point as the guys that design them ride the same trails that I have ridden and plan on riding. The epitome of buy local I guess, eh?

Thanks =)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top