Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay here`s the situation, i`m close to buying another rig. I`m pretty sure what i want it for but not sure on the amount of travel/ durability i should go for. I ride a hardtail at the mo, klein hardtail. Mostly ride what people would call "cross country" i hate catogorising like that. I do like to really beat the crap out of myself and the bike on the odd occasion lol.
Originally i wanted to get a freeride bike and keep the hardtail for marathon races, events etc. Now i`m thinking about trying to find a bike i can use for 100k+ marathon events, maybe 24hr and still have a fun day out on, just general silliness! I like my hardtail but i really want to start catching a bit more air, nothing major. Oh ye, i`d still keep my hardtail.. :) Budget is around 1200- 1500 sterling, suppose thats about 2500 us maybe?
So i think i need to decide between a marathon 4 inch type, was thinking scott genius rc, marin quad, c-dale rush. Or longer travel for more gravity?!
Cheers for any replys.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Race with the hardtail

Buy yourself a 5" travel f/s trail bike, or the freeride bike you originally considered.. Given a few key points in your post, this is the way to go, IMO. First thing that comes to mind is that if you buy a new f/s rig that will be worthy of competition, it's probably not going to be engineered to "catch air" or do anything close to what the freeride bike you originally considered could handle. In essence, you'll be buying a new bike, but not one intended for the "general silliness" (I'm assuming "general silliness" means drops, hucks, stunts, etc.) you mentioned. Second thing you mentioned is that you like the hardtail you have. If you like it and it works for the races, then use it for the races.

To summarize, if you buy a nice f/s bike that's made for the races, you now have a f/s and hardtail designed for similar riding, but nothing for the more technical riding you'd like to explore. That's my read, at least.

Best wishes in choosing the right bike.

Bob

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
Buy yourself a 5" travel f/s trail bike, or the freeride bike you originally considered.. Given a few key points in your post, this is the way to go, IMO. First thing that comes to mind is that if you buy a new f/s rig that will be worthy of competition, it's probably not going to be engineered to "catch air" or do anything close to what the freeride bike you originally considered could handle. In essence, you'll be buying a new bike, but not one intended for the "general silliness" (I'm assuming "general silliness" means drops, hucks, stunts, etc.) you mentioned. Second thing you mentioned is that you like the hardtail you have. If you like it and it works for the races, then use it for the races.

To summarize, if you buy a nice f/s bike that's made for the races, you now have a f/s and hardtail designed for similar riding, but nothing for the more technical riding you'd like to explore. That's my read, at least.

Best wishes in choosing the right bike.

Bob
Ye one of the main reasons for a new bike is to start exploring more technical terrain, drops hucks etc.. as i feel i reach the limits of my hardtail sometimes. Ye having a f/s and hardtail that are designed for similar riding is`nt what i want i don`t think. I raced ten hours on my ht in october, had no real problems apart from a bit of tiredness and slight back pain because i was out of shape. I like the thought of more padding tho :) .
Looks like trying to kill two birds with one stone here could be a very difficult task. Ye the ets-x sounds good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.