Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is again, if you could buy one bike for riding Moab what would it be?

Me…
~160 lb ready to ride

My style…
Enjoy technical climbs with ledges and uber steep sections
Love smooth jumps up to 10-15 feet of distance
I’ll do most drops up to 6-8 feet if the landing is GOOD, if it’s to flat, 3 feet is about the most I enjoy
I like to try things that sometime require quick dismounts, so it needs to be a bit thicker walled than a tin can.
Slow trials type moves over large rocks and logs are fun too (not that I’m great at them)

I already have a light 5+” XC bike and an 8” "climbable"DH bike, so this would be my one bike to bring to Moab. Currently, I have to bring both of these.

What trails you ask…
Porcupine (Hazard to Jackass) – must survive lots of fast paced rides down this taking every air
Amasa Back and Rock Stacker (gotta clean the climb too)
Sovereign (I clean 99.9% on my XC bike and would like to still do that)

I try to ride in Moab about 10 weekends per year, but I would also use the bike some in Fruita/Grand Junction, Brianhead, Tahoe, Jackson, BC (I’m hoping next summer is the year)

On my initial list is the following...
SX Trail
Titus Supermoto w/DHX air
Chumba Evo (I find it fugly though)
Reign X (is the frame too thin walled to be dropped?)

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
It sounds like you would do well with a Heckler or Covert. They both look like sweet bikes and not ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice bikes, but not really enough travel for bombing down porcupine, IMHO. I think I'd get rattled pretty hard. I usually us the DH bike, and if it wasn't for it's slowness on the flats I'd still think that was the way to go.

Also, price is really no object. The reason I asked here is that test rides of bikes in this class are pretty much nil. Every shop seems to only stock bikes up to light 6" travel. Of course many have one token POS DH bike but that's not much help either.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Have you considered the Turner RFX? Incredibly well built, extremely durable, 6.4" of the plush travel, great warranty backed by some of the best customer service in the industry.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Ventana El Terremoto should be part of your list as well. Check out the bikes from Knolly too.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Turner RFX
Giant Reign or Reign X (I have a Reign X and Love it. It can definetley be dropped)
SC Nomad
Ventana El Terremoto
Transition Covert
Specialized Enduro SL
Foes FXR
Canfield Balance

I think any well built ~6" travel bike is the best for Moab. I rode my Reign X there in the spring. It was a bit much on some of the harder climbs, but was still a great bike for Moab. If I had one bike for Moab i would probably choose the new Turner RFX. 6.4", plenty burly, pretty darn light.....

Good Luck.

TG

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
a few choices

Turner RFX
Giant Reign or Reign X (I have a Reign X and Love it. It can definetley be dropped)
SC Nomad
Ventana El Terremoto
Transition Covert
Specialized Enduro SL
Foes FXR
Canfield Balance

I think any well built ~6" travel bike is the best for Moab. I rode my Reign X there in the spring. It was a bit much on some of the harder climbs, but was still a great bike for Moab. If I had one bike for Moab i would probably choose the new Turner RFX. 6.4", plenty burly, pretty darn light.....

Good Luck.

TG

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I have thought about this myself. I go down every winter and this last year I took my 5 Spot and my 06 RFX. The RFX is built more toward the FR end of the spectrum and was 38 lbs at the time. Coil rear and 66 Light up front are heavy but it pedals well and I took it on Soveriegn and Gooseberry. It was fun but had me thinking about how it would be with an air shock and Fork. I know I could get it down to the low 30's and have the one Moab bike with two shocks and forks and have a bike that will handle everything well. It would be to much for the buff trails in Fruita and JEM down by Hurricane but still okay.

For what you describe I would build up a 6" bike like the RFX, Terramoto, or Knolly Delirium with air on both ends. Probably an adjustable travel fork for climbing and to quicken the handling.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,188 Posts
Pass the Kool-Aid

Sounds like you are a candidate for a healthy drink of the Knolly kool-aid. Delirium T would be the flavour I think you should look into.

michael

·
Registered
72 Posts
i'll tell you right now, i'm currently building my covert (waiting on the f#@kin' FedEx guy now:madman: ) and the frame is plenty beefy: for the kind of riding you mentioned (and the kind i do, albeit slightly smaller drops/jumps), a well built, more AM-oriented frame + a selection of rugged, more FR-oriented parts seems like it'll work well. the end product? a bike that pedals well, weighs in at around 30-33lbs, and can take a beating.

plus, a well-made frame with purdy welds is sexy...

·
jones'in
917 Posts
phatfreeheeler said:
Reign X (is the frame too thin walled to be dropped?)
Nope definitely not too thin walled. I'm heavy-ish (~210 w/ gear on) and I regularly drop my Reign X. I've had a couple of doozy wrecks in the last month or so too, that probably should have dented or otherwise compromised the frame.....it's still structurally sound (a few scratches here and there).

I haven't tried any of the other bikes you mention, but I'm very happy w/ my Reign X.

--Ben

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the ideas.

I like the Knolly in many ways, but the 9.5lb frame sounds like more than I want to lug around. That's only 1.5lbs less than my DH frame.

The Covert just doesn't have the travel for my tastes. My damaged spine likes a bit more travel than that ;) I'm thinking 6-7 and I really think 6.5+. Also, it's a bit at the light end still.

I guess I didn't post much about my current trail bike that I'm calling my XC bike here. It's a 6" Ellsworth ID. 30lbs with a Gravity Dropper and Mallet pedals. I feel I've bastardized to ride it more places, but it's an incredibly light 6" bike. The high BB (15.5") was awesome to take my riding out of the pure XC world but now I think it is too tall and thin walled. Really I think it should be kept in the XC side of bikes. I would never take it on Porcupine and while I love climbing Amasa Back on it, it really limits what I do on the way down. Anyways, my plan is to reduce the travel to 5" and put it on a diet to get it back to the perfect 26 lb endurance race bike that it can be.

Also, I've always liked long top tubes but I'm not sure if that is just coming from my XC roots or my high ape factor. Both my current bikes have 24" top tubes and while I feel good on them, friends have commented that they seem a bit big for me. I'm 5'10". I can say that when I get on bikes with <23" top tubes I feel really awkward, especially sitting and climbing.

So tell me why you like certain bikes. The Reign X is definately on my list. I wish I could find these bikes to test ride but even in SLC most all of them are not available.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
phatfreeheeler said:
I wish I could find these bikes to test ride but even in SLC most all of them are not available.
Go visit with the guys at Go-Ride. They carry Turner, Yeti, Ventana, Intense and Iron Horse. I fairly sure they have a few demo bikes for each brand.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CrashTheDOG said:
Go visit with the guys at Go-Ride. They carry Turner, Yeti, Ventana, Intense and Iron Horse. I fairly sure they have a few demo bikes for each brand.
Yeah, I know those guys really well. Good guys for sure. Unfortunately, they have one 6.6 in stock and built, nothing else in this range that I had much interest in. Early season that may change, but I'm hoping to find something at a deal or used before then.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wo Fat...

6 inch ID Ells...not suitable for Porc??

PS If you talk to the shop guys at each shop next time you are in M, they might be able to point you to your one bike does all for their tiny little berg of reddust, rocks, lizards and crappy food.

HEYDUKE LIVES

PEACE.
CS

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's not a bad idea to talk to shop guys there.

Yeah, I know most people think a 6" bike should be up for anything, but the way I ride Porc is not how most people think of it (and the Ells has a 6 lb frame with shock). I ride (or at least try to) with a bunch that race DH. They use 7" freeride bikes like AS-X's w/Gravity Droppers and they do it at race pace. Think under 3 hrs from the loop road to the river road with no walking and LOTS of optional airs up to 6ft to so so landings. Crashes happen, and I'd have to run the suspension pretty stiff to avoid bottoming all the time. That and diving down jackass with a 15.5" BB sounds scary.

I just feel so much safer with the 8" Bighit, but I have to kill myself on the flats to keep up. I think I've decided that big bikes aren't that bad for real climbing, but when things are just pedally, all that heft just bogs me down. I could build light wheels and tires for the Bighit but light 24" rims and tires aren't super common and it just seems like a stretch.

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
phatfreeheeler said:
Yeah, I know most people think a 6" bike should be up for anything, but the way I ride Porc is not how most people think of it (and the Ells has a 6 lb frame with shock). I ride (or at least try to) with a bunch that race DH. They use 7" freeride bikes like AS-X's w/Gravity Droppers and they do it at race pace. Think under 3 hrs from the loop road to the river road with no walking and LOTS of optional airs up to 6ft to so so landings. Crashes happen, and I'd have to run the suspension pretty stiff to avoid bottoming all the time. That and diving down jackass with a 15.5" BB sounds scary.

I just feel so much safer with the 8" Bighit, but I have to kill myself on the flats to keep up. I think I've decided that big bikes aren't that bad for real climbing, but when things are just pedally, all that heft just bogs me down. I could build light wheels and tires for the Bighit but light 24" rims and tires aren't super common and it just seems like a stretch.

Keep in mind that, for Mr. AG, the AS-X is pretty well comparable to a Heckler for us, and AG is still in the market for something lighter to replace hers. If you want to push a heavy bike on Porc. that's cool, that ride is as much about your level of fitness as anything. I just find that with a shorter travel bike, with a slightly steeper geometry, you're able to get up to speed more quickly and work your way through (and more importantly, over) the rocky sections better.

The additional travel of a freeride bike is certainly nice, but the slacker geometry isn't, it's completely counter-intuitive for Porcupine. Yeah, you go downhill, but it's not a downhill, so I just don't think a DH or freeride bike are appropriate. And, like I said before, there are no drops or moves big enough to warrant that type of bike.

I really recommend you Demo an RFX or Nomad next time you're down there. With your level of fitness, you'll be leading the charge. Hell, Big Blue was on a Trek Remedy last Fall and made us all look like chumps cause he was in such good shape.

Edit: Oh, Rob hitched a ride w/ the Canfields to Guardsman the other day and got a good look at The One. That seems like a nice, burly trail bike option, and the rearward axle path they design into their bikes would be ideal for a ride like Porcupine.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
phatfreeheeler said:
So here it is again, if you could buy one bike for riding Moab what would it be?

Enjoy technical climbs with ledges and uber steep sections
Love smooth jumps up to 10-15 feet of distance
I’ll do most drops up to 6-8 feet if the landing is GOOD, if it’s to flat, 3 feet is about the most I enjoy
I like to try things that sometime require quick dismounts, so it needs to be a bit thicker walled than a tin can.
Slow trials type moves over large rocks and logs are fun too (not that I’m great at them)

What trails you ask…
Porcupine (Hazard to Jackass) – must survive lots of fast paced rides down this taking every air
Amasa Back and Rock Stacker (gotta clean the climb too)
Sovereign (I clean 99.9% on my XC bike and would like to still do that)
i'll go WAY out on a limb here and suggest, like just about everyone else here, an RFX (or nomad if its VPP and geometry float your boat).

is this the kind of stuff you like to do? up and down tech, a little air for SAGs? if so, i wouldn't let porc sway you beyond an RFX or nomad, because either can handle everything it can offer up. if you go bigger, highline perhaps, it goes without saying that you are going to compromise climbing.

RFX climbing amasa
Nomad descending porc (upper bodybag)
RFX getting a lttle air on porc

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
^ Nice pics above Dirtbag! Sure brings memories back from my first Moab trip from March.

My Moab bike is a specialized enduro. Nice and strong with a good amount of travel, and durable enough to take a beating yet still able to climb really well. From what you've said in a post above you are looking for at least 6 to 7 inches of travel. It sounds like an Specialized SX trail would fit that bill. Lots of guys have them and ride them for everything!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts