Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I decided to build up an all weather commuter/29er drop bar. After much research, price/cost analysts and matching up components, I choose to go with the Vassago Fisticuff.

I had read of the past history with the company, especially with the Black Friday sale, but after reading the new blog posts I was convinced that I should give them a try. I also really liked the fact that vassago was involved with several charities.

So after browsing the Vassago web, I happened to find one of their scratch and dent fisti's at around half the price. What a steal right? Boy was I wrong......

I had ordered the frame on Sept.13 and was actually out of state for the next two weeks. I was pumped to return from a long work trip and be able to build the fisti up for some good fall east coast riding. To my dismay, no frame. I decided to give it until the end of the third week and sent an email after hours on Friday Sept 30 with hope they would check their emails first thing Monday.

Monday I received no email (and yes I used the correct email) so I resent it on Tuesday morning. I received a quick response from a "Misty" that she would check into it and get back with me ASAP. Well no answer for the remaining business day Tuesday or Wednesday, so I sent a wall post on facebook, thinking my message wouldn’t get lost in translation.

I received back:

After checking it seems as though the frame was returned to us. Not sure why but then this put it in the return/warranty - which sometimes gets stuck. However, since it has caused a lot of unnecessary stress to you the customer service department has refunded your total purchase price including shipping.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you
"Misty"

Good on them for refunding the money, but how the heck do you not know your stock and if your shipments were successful?

Anyways, just ordered my new Salsa Fargo and can't wait to get it built up! Just thought I would share with the MTBR community. Ride on!

·
Forgiven
426 Posts
You got your money back after you weren't around to receive a frame you ordered, that Vassago delivered and then had to pay the return shipping on?? Plus you get a formal apology.

And now you post a rant..??

The only thing Salsa is good for is on tortilla chips. You're perfect for each other.

·
West Chester, PA
5,009 Posts
Please fill in the blanks in the story -

Did they ever send you a shipping notification ? If they did then pulling up the tracking info will tell you if signature is required at delivery. This is not uncommon for large/expensive items.

Do you live by yourself ? If so why would you order something like that when you know it might be sitting on the porch for days ?

Was there any slips left behind by the shipping company ?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I filled in the blanks differently ....

When I read this tale I wondered if a frame was ever actually shpped?:confused:

Did Vassago ever give you a traking number showing the frame coming to your town and then back to them?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got your money back after you weren't around to receive a frame you ordered, that Vassago delivered and then had to pay the return shipping on?? Plus you get a formal apology.

The only thing Salsa is good for is on tortilla chips. You're perfect for each other.
First of all never ASSume. I had the frame shipped to my house, where myself and girlfriend reside (who works from home), so no worries about someone being around.

Secondly I never recieved any notification of shipping or a tracking #, highly doubt the frame was even actually shipped.

Overall just giving a general heads up to the MTBR community about a very poor purchase transaction. As a consumer, if I pay for something, I should get what I order and not have to track down someone multiple times, through multiple means to resolve an issue.

And yes I love salsa

·
West Chester, PA
5,009 Posts
First of all never ASSume. I had the frame shipped to my house, where myself and girlfriend reside (who works from home), so no worries about someone being around.

Secondly I never recieved any notification of shipping or a tracking #, highly doubt the frame was even actually shipped.
OK then, just checking :) Sometimes people on here make some pretty crazy complaint threads and leave out everything about what they did wrong.

·
lord of my world
353 Posts

Does it make you feel better to bash Salsa When they had nothing to do with this rant, other than that's what he bought?

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
This is why I prefer to deal through a LBS. They seem to be able to get things done better. I got a Jabber through a LBS a while back, and have had no problems getting stuff from Vassago. My frame didn't ship (for some reason) with tensioners, bottle cage bolts, or a seat clamp. A few days after picking it up, I got a call from the shop saying that a box had shown up for me. Vassago had sent all that stuff along with a letter of apology for forgetting to ship it with the frame. That gets good marks in my book. Sorry you had a bad experience. Enjoy you Salsa!

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
I keep hoping they get it together. They make a fun bike at a good price. However, they just keep falling on thier face in the customer service department. If they drop the ball on a regular bases on $500 frames. One can only imagine how much business they will loose on thier Black Label line. At a cost of $1000 plus.

·
Forgiven
426 Posts

Overall just giving a general heads up to the MTBR community about a very poor purchase transaction. As a consumer, if I pay for something, I should get what I order and not have to track down someone multiple times, through multiple means to resolve an issue.

And yes I love salsa
Ok, I had a little fun at your expense and did make an assumption. Sorry for that. I guess when I see folks complaining after something has been rectified it doesn't seem fair or very gracious. Vassago makes a great bike and so does Salsa.. I just like Salsa on chips better and my arse on a Vassago..

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also ordered a fisti off the scratch n dent page of their website. Ordered on a Wednesday (8/10), got the confirmation email that same day. Didn't receive tracking info until the following Tuesday. Frame was delivered that Thursday by fedex (8/16 signature not required). Not the quickest transition or best communication in the world, but not that bad either. Frame was mint (minus hardware as advertised) and I've been happy with it so far. I love their frames (also have a bander and jabber), so it's a shame they get such a bad rap, but I can see where people would have a problem with their customer service. FYI The bander and jabber were purchased from huck n roll.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah they make awesome rides - my Jaber is the best bike I have had so far - but I mean come on did you not get enough warnings? You knew the risks and you shouldn't have been too suprised at the outcome, this is the whole reason they are not direct selling right now. I will own another vassago but I'm gonna give them sometime to get the company running smooth again.

Sorry for your experience, I felt the same way when my black Jabber showed up army green

·
singletrack bound
3,159 Posts
**** Vassago. But I still like their bikes. Wish they would get their **** together and also offer the Fisti in a color less awful than poop brown.:p
I'm with you here.I'm sitting on a cracked Jabber since May.

I'm now riding a Salsa El Mar.

I really liked my Jabber too but I am very happy with my El Mar.

some day I will try to trade up to a fisti if I ever hear some good news about their inventory problems.

their return emails (when you get one) seems like they are trying to avoid you for some reason. I don't get it.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
I'm with you here.I'm sitting on a cracked Jabber since May.

I'm now riding a Salsa El Mar.

I really liked my Jabber too but I am very happy with my El Mar.

some day I will try to trade up to a fisti if I ever hear some good news about their inventory problems.

their return emails (when you get one) seems like they are trying to avoid you for some reason. I don't get it.
Thats a shame dude. They are giving you the run around? Im just curious, what is the deal? From reading their blog it seems that they have gotten their act together. But the the proof is in the pudding...

At least its steel. You could probably get it tigged up for $35.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.