Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

New here and love the content in this forum :D :D

I currently am polishing up one of my bikes that i have built over the last few months and have finally came to the tuning of the tyres on the bike. I currently have some flyweight 330s and been one of the first light bikes i have my last Sunday ride told me that the tyres aren't really cutting it. I have purchased some Nobby nics in 2.1 UST format for my cannondale which also runs Crossmax SLR. Now to my understanding that configuration should work perfectly.

Question i have though i will list below.

1. I have searched here and some seemed to say no sealant is fine on a ust rim and ust tyre? I got some sealant too but would rather not use sealant. I am not interested in the puncture resistance kinda issue as i am fairly light and have never really had a puncture too *maybe i am not riding hard enough*

2. If it starts burping air say going down a big downhill and i am left with less then rideable pressure what do i do? Is it as simple as taking out my portable pump and pumping it back up to pressure again? That is my general understanding of the matter?

Thanks guys!

Pic taken during bike build. Bike is done now

·
Registered
9 Posts
1- from my 4 years of experience running Mavic UST wheelsets with various UST tires (Michelin, Hutchinson, Kenda), you should be able to get away without sealant iff the terrain you're riding on isn't puncture prone (thorns etc).

2- burping issue: most of the time, the bead of a UST tire on a UST rim will remained sealed even if you let all the air out deliberately or not. Any decent pump worth carrying with you should be able to bring the pressure back up to riding levels.

Enjoy.
ps On epic/multi day/ out in the middle of nowhere rides it's best to carry a spare tube just the same. Nothing's foolproof.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Proper UST tyre and Rim combo is designed to work without sealant there is no need. I've never burped a proper UST set-up in two years I weigh over 200lbs fully kitted and ride pretty hard at about 26lbs pressure (no jumps). Just carry a tube and patch kit you will be fine you should be carrying these whatever set-up you have anyways.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Dalo said:
1- from my 4 years of experience running Mavic UST wheelsets with various UST tires (Michelin, Hutchinson, Kenda), you should be able to get away without sealant iff the terrain you're riding on isn't puncture prone (thorns etc).

2- burping issue: most of the time, the bead of a UST tire on a UST rim will remained sealed even if you let all the air out deliberately or not. Any decent pump worth carrying with you should be able to bring the pressure back up to riding levels.

Enjoy.
ps On epic/multi day/ out in the middle of nowhere rides it's best to carry a spare tube just the same. Nothing's foolproof.
Dalo is correct in all respects.

I have never used sealant in a full UST tire. I have had a few thorn punctures but they are just very slow leaks, especially if you leave the thorn in the tire.

I have needed to use a tube on the trail only once when a stick went through the spokes and snapped off the valve (1st and only valve damage in 25 years of mtbing). No amount of sealant would have fixed that.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I did an informal poll here a while back regarding burping UST tires and virtually everyone whose tires had burped were using sealant at the time. I had sealant in my ust weirwolves with ust rim and had burping, after cleaning out the Stans , no more burping.
might be coincidence, might not

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.