1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Tear it all out!
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
This actually looks kind of promising, reminds of TerraServer, which I've used a lot in the past. Color images!

EDIT: Just tried to look at my hometown (Mineral, VA) and the pictures aren't that high quality. Using TerraServer, I could zoom in a lot further--this applies for the Virginia area, I can't vouch for other regions...

terraserver.microsoft.com

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Even better that what Google publishes

With a little sleuthing you can find lots of free satellite and orthophoto imagery in formats you can view in downloadable freeware viewers.

For example take a look at Idaho Geodata to find orthophoto mosiacs of Idaho counties at high enough resolution to pick out some tastey track of the single variety. Where you go is up to you and your imagination. You'll need a MrSID plugin from LizardTech to view em (click Download->Viewers (or PlugIns). Other formats include TIF and JPG. Much better than the tripe that Google publishes. The NRCS and other fed and state agencies like the USGS publishes all kinds of that stuff for free.Got bandwidth? These files can get pretty fat. Google some key words like: orthophoto satellite imagery GIS download MrSid Colorado DRG DEM mapping NRCS USGS

Trust me.

·
Banned
6,034 Posts
CraigH said:
http://maps.google.com/

Click the "Satellite" link in the top right corner.

The only problem is the trees show up very dark. Having an adjustable brightness/contrast would be a great feature.

Satellite photo of the "yellow gate" area of Mt. Fromme, North Vancouver, BC.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=north...4,-123.035524&spn=0.008830,0.010257&t=k&hl=en

Thanks to AlanB for the link!
OK, that's freekin cool. I just used the right, left, up and down arrows to go from downtown Oakland to St Mary's college in Moraga.

It's a new past time!

See how far you can get just by using the arrows!

·
Witty McWitterson
5,017 Posts
Google maps is fun for sure, but if you live in a rural area like I do, resolution blows. For instance, image #1 My house is somewhere in that leeetle grey spot in the middle. Great road riding in the hills outside town. Killed myself on a nice ride last night.

Now if ya go to some place like sayyy Denver, you get the next pic. Much closer resolution. Name the trail. Locals don't count.

Google is pretty cool. Anyone want a gmail account? I've 50 of the freakin' things to give away. PM me.

Attachments

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Planimetric imagery is so 1990's

Pete said:
snipsnipsnip
The first one is the master map of the close to home Boise cicuits.

The others are all synthetic landscapes (orthophotos draped on extruded digital elevation models).

All downloaded from internet and processed using ArcGIS.

Attachments

·
Witty McWitterson
5,017 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah, GIS is cool, but how many of us actually have access to sucha cool ass program. I feel like I'm one of the few here. You using 9.x or 8.x? I'm eagerly hoping that my 'job' will have access to 9.x soon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.