Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Another tubeless tire go BOOM!

2K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  IBIKEAZ 
IBIKEAZ said:
Well it happened to me. I thought it wouldn't. I bought the new Stan's rims hoping I could go tubeless. I mounted up the rear with no problems. Sealed easy and stayed sealed. I went on a ride and it worked great. So I mounted up the front (Mythos folding). Sealed great, stayed sealed for 3 hours. I put the front wheel back on the bike. Then as I was putting the rear wheel on--- KABOOM! Loud ass noise at 10:00 at night (front tire blew completely off rim). Wife comes outside and says "what happened?" Well it does scare ya. I'm glad it didn't happen when I was putting the front wheel on. Now I think I'm going to be to nervous to try it again until tubeless tires come out for 29er's. I talked with someone at Stan's and he said they still think all 29er folding bead tires are to weak to try it. At least I can say that I like the rims, they feel soo light and spin up well, so they're worth it for me.
I think I will send Stan an email thanking him. These threads are great. This forum can get a bit serious, not too many threads give me a good laugh like Stan's blow-out threads. :D I can just imagine having a tire blow off in the middle of the night. I missed it when that guy shot his father and the SWAT team showed up.

GlowBoy said:
^^ Suggested thread title revision

Sorry to be the flame magnet here, but I'll take the pressure off others and take my turn at this rant. But really, should anyone be surprised anymore when a 29" tire designed for tubes is mounted up tubeless, and then blows up? What can I say, being in my late 30s my self-preservation instinct is fully developed, so I can't imagine even trying it. I shudder to think what would have happened if that failure had occurred on a steep high-speed descent, especially if there were trees or cliffs nearby. Glad you weren't hurt, but I'm starting to wonder if it's just a matter of time before this kind of thing causes someone to be seriously injured. Or worse.
- Dan
How dare you put the health and well-being of a few people ahead of my enjoyment of "Stans Blowout" threads? :rolleyes:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.