Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tubeless newb here - trying to set up my first set of tubeless tires.

Have Mavic Crossmax wheels - am trying to set up with Bontrager XR 2.2 (non-tubeless) on the front and a Maxxis Ignitor on the back. Neither tire was new, but neither had much wear either.

I watched the Stan's video and followed his instructions - using two sccops of Stans in each tire - did the whole shake, lay flat thing several times for the last two days.

Front wheel - The bead on the Bontrager was definitely the tigher of the two, and set up easily, but I can still see wet sealant coming out of the beads, and it lost about 10 lbs of pressure overnight.

Rear wheel - while it had a looser bead, the Maxxis seems to be holding better, but I still see wet spots on the sidewalls of the tires. It lost about 3-4 lbs of pressure overnight.

What should I do now?

Should I try and ride and pray these things work?

Should I maybe add some Slime and hope that the bigger particles in the Slime help seal?

Start over with some different tires?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't think that much air loss is unusual at first. I would go for a nice easy hour long ride with a few CO2 cartridges to add air if necessary, that will allow the stans to work its magic. I am a recent tubeless convert and for me it is well worth the fuss. Personally, I am using the ghetto method with a split tube, which has worked fabulously.

Good luck.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I agree with what Fishlips said and would add the following:
Make sure when you first air it up - you bring it up to 50+ psi ( I actually go to the max rating for the tire - sometimes 60) and do the shake and dance. It is important that the Stan's fluid get pushed into all the places that will leak air and I've forgotten to do that once and it was the only time I've had slow leaks.. I aired it up to 50-60 and then did the shake, dance, lay flat, bit and it was fine... still is months later.

Once you get it to hol air you'll be glad - it's well worth the initial learning curve.
S

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
stevereeneo said:
I agree with what Fishlips said and would add the following:
Make sure when you first air it up - you bring it up to 50+ psi ( I actually go to the max rating for the tire - sometimes 60) and do the shake and dance. It is important that the Stan's fluid get pushed into all the places that will leak air and I've forgotten to do that once and it was the only time I've had slow leaks.. I aired it up to 50-60 and then did the shake, dance, lay flat, bit and it was fine... still is months later.

Once you get it to hol air you'll be glad - it's well worth the initial learning curve.
S
That's not good advice at all. I would highly avoid it. Do not go above 40 psi - ever. Explosions occur and the bead will be forever ruined on the tire.

What rimstrip are you using with the Crossmax wheels? It sounds like the strip is not set up against the inner rimwall cavity enough to prevent some leaking to occur between the tire bead and rim. And I imagine you did use soap and water along the bead when setting up. The next tip/trick is to paint the tire bead with sealant before airing up.

BB

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Are they C29's?

If so, I used two scoops of Stan's and that rim doesn't need a rim strip. I lost 5-10 psi overnight. Aired up to 30-32 psi and went riding. No air loss yet. Some tires just need to get the goo in all the right places. Good luck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My experience on the first try was like yours, leaking out the bead. My mistake was not enough soapy water to get a good fit and not using the injector (though I think that now that I know what I'm doing I could probably get away without using it). I got the injector so I could seat the bead well with soapy water, inject the stans in the valve without unseating the bead, then air it up and it worked much better.
I was almost holding air after the shake thing, went for a 45 minute ride then did the whole shake-lay-on-a-box thing and now they aren't leaking at all. My tires were both super loose (no tire levers or even hard effort required to get them on or off) yet they are still holding well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are C29s

They are C29s, so no rim strip. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Sounds like I need to maybe try a nice easy ride around the neighborhood and then maybe try the shake, rattle and roll thing again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
advice

Best thing to do is to go ride them. I've had several tires seem to be resistant to holding air overnight after high pressure inflating and shaking/resting on sides, but then once I rode the wheel once or twice, the seal seemed to "take".

I've found this to be the case even with Bontrager tubeless ready tires.

Good luck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would actually try riding them around the block to let everything settle in. I usually do this with my tubeless wheels, I have three sets. The air loss thing is probably because the tires are not new.

·
Registered
662 Posts
BruceBrown said:
That's not good advice at all. I would highly avoid it. Do not go above 40 psi - ever. Explosions occur and the bead will be forever ruined on the tire.

What rimstrip are you using with the Crossmax wheels? It sounds like the strip is not set up against the inner rimwall cavity enough to prevent some leaking to occur between the tire bead and rim. And I imagine you did use soap and water along the bead when setting up. The next tip/trick is to paint the tire bead with sealant before airing up.

BB
I should clarify... I don't ride it with that pressure.. I just air it up and let it sit that way overnight ... then I typically run it between 23-28 psi depending on conditions. I've never had a bead blow off and have done many tubeless conversions... I also am running the same tires you're running on Bonty Duster/Rhythm rims.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
stevereeneo said:
I should clarify... I don't ride it with that pressure.. I just air it up and let it sit that way overnight ... then I typically run it between 23-28 psi depending on conditions. I've never had a bead blow off and have done many tubeless conversions... I also am running the same tires you're running on Bonty Duster/Rhythm rims.
It don't think it matters if one is not riding at those higher pressures, but only inflating to such a high pressure during the set up. I would still caution against it. I'm going to have to defer to the instructions at NoTubes.com that states:

Procedure (Inflation) Hang the tire with valve stem at the top or side (see photo 3), inflate the tire to 35-40 psi (never inflate over 40 psi).

I think it is fortunate that you have not had a tire blow off a rim during installation by taking the psi up so high. Unfortunately, I had a Nanraptor explode off of a rim when I went up above 40 psi due to not having an accurate gauge with me at the gas station when using the air hose. It ruined the Nanoraptor's bead and my car got a nice spray of Stans on the way home when the tire blew off the rim. Based on the instructions at NoTubes.com as well as in their installation movies (not to mention my exploding Nano experience), I will stick with the "never go above 40 psi" to keep on the safe side. It makes a mess and can ruin a perfectly good tire which means one is out $30 - 50 right off the bat.

You should be able to get the bead to snap into place by going up to 40 psi and get a perfect seal. That is, assuming Stan and his crew know what they are talking about. Maybe it is a different animal when setting up a tire on the Crossmax, but I would still sound a note of caution to not take the psi up over 40.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I guess I may be lucky ... I figure the tire is rated to a certain pressure and it should be able to handle that pressure - but I am using tubeless ready rims - which as I understand it have a slightly deeper groove for the bead - and that may be the reason for me not having blown one off. I certainly would be bummed if I blew one off and ruined a good tire

My thinking on why this shouldn't be a problem - and I may be completely wrong... is that
the tire will be subject to impact pressures well over 50 psi while riding and taking it up to a steady pressure within the max rating and keeping it there helps create a firmer seal.

Again, I appreciate the caution...
S

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
The Stans method of shake and set flat on a bucket using plenty of suds usually works fine, but some tires are a mongrel to set up the first time...especially if you aren't using the Stans rims.

As he says in his demo video, riding them while they are still leaking sealant isn't the correct thing to do. You should continue to shake and bake the wheels until you have them sealed correctly.

I've had ghetto tubeless setups easier than Stans because the added strip of wet rubber aids in getting the beads and tires to grab the rim and hang on.

This seems to indicate that the Stans rim strips should be used in some cases where you are having problems with sealing a particular tire up correctly...imo.

So if you can't get the tire to seal up properly no matter what, try a Stans rim strip and see if that does the trick.

R.

KonaSS said:
Tubeless newb here - trying to set up my first set of tubeless tires.

Have Mavic Crossmax wheels - am trying to set up with Bontrager XR 2.2 (non-tubeless) on the front and a Maxxis Ignitor on the back. Neither tire was new, but neither had much wear either.

I watched the Stan's video and followed his instructions - using two sccops of Stans in each tire - did the whole shake, lay flat thing several times for the last two days.

Front wheel - The bead on the Bontrager was definitely the tigher of the two, and set up easily, but I can still see wet sealant coming out of the beads, and it lost about 10 lbs of pressure overnight.

Rear wheel - while it had a looser bead, the Maxxis seems to be holding better, but I still see wet spots on the sidewalls of the tires. It lost about 3-4 lbs of pressure overnight.

What should I do now?

Should I try and ride and pray these things work?

Should I maybe add some Slime and hope that the bigger particles in the Slime help seal?

Start over with some different tires?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Go ghetto, regular tire needs rubber seal

There are lots of variables with tires, but from trial and error, I have found that for me I have the best luck of getting a good sealing tire on the first try if I follow a simple rule.

When using a "regular" tire ALWAYS use some kind of rubber strip, whether it be Stans, or a split tube, no matter whether the rim is UST, or standard.

Yes, you will have people say they did a regular tire on a UST rim and it worked, but a lot of people also try this and get leaks, and burps at really bad times. UST rims are made to seal with a UST tire and you are taking a big chance of a regular tire giving you fits.

I did a 20" tube on my 26" Crossmax rims with 2.35 Rampage tires, and it sealed easier than with a Stans strip. I put some air in the tube, stretched it on, cut it, and put the tire on, putting in 2 scoops of sealant, and did not even use any soapy water or anything, and it sealed instantly when I pumped it up. I run 28psi with no leaks.

So if you don't want to have to screw around and get frustrated, use some kind of strip, it is worth the few grams that a third of a tube weighs, to not have to jerk around with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.