5,947 Posts
RIP Whale's Vagina Box
That's your problem.....
You have to name trail like "UCSC Champions Trail" or "The Sheriff's New Ride"

They'd leave those trails alone.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I just got done riding what used to be a secret stash (other side of hill) only to find it's COMPLETELY blown out...thanks Strava. sad face

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Yep land managers have discovered that Strava is the greatest thing since sliced bread for determining what trails are being ridden & at what speeds.

I don't know if Strava had anything to do with this one, but trails have been closed because of it and the land managers are watching.

Mountain bikers are there own worst enemy!!!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
AAA a does not track top speed for segments, in fact it's illegal do do this with cars & motorcycles, it's the tool that's the problem cause people cannot resit being competitive.

Posting tracks that should not be posted is a problem with every GPS upload site and it's the people who are a problem not the tool, be smart people

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I think if you actually built a trail or knew of one that was off the grid, you might feel different if you saw it all over Strava one day...we don't post locations of secret trails here, why is Strava any different?

Anyhow, this is a black hole, go nowhere topic that has been beaten to death...you love Strava and it doesn't affect your world apparently. I feel it likely contributed to the ruination one of my local favorites; granted with the help of some folks that thought the spotlight was more important.

Anyhow, whatever, I am sure you will prove me wrong with your snark.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yep land managers have discovered that Strava is the greatest thing since sliced bread for determining what trails are being ridden & at what speeds.

I don't know if Strava had anything to do with this one, but trails have been closed because of it and the land managers are watching.

Mountain bikers are there own worst enemy!!!
How do you know said trails were closed because of Strava? Not trying to troll you, I'm just curious ... ok, I'm also asking a bit to troll ;).

Maps and locations of eg UCSC trails and such were easily found online in the days before any of the GPS sites existed (circa 2004 as I remember)... were the land managers too dumb to use Google in those days?

·
middle ring single track
4,679 Posts
DH Gnarl needed...

...in the greater Bay Area and Santa Cruz has lots of it; problem being is that very little of it is legit. Thinking that going public with the situation (a la posting rides on Strava etc) and hoping for a "Rosa Parks" groundswell of support is wishful thinking at best IMHO.

I've got plenty of GPS tracks in places I shouldn't be and at speeds I shouldn't be traveling; but guess what---I don't have them posted anywhere. I'm always surprised at the number of well-known bikers with illicit data being bandied about via GPS on the 'net. Shame on you.

View attachment 720856

Not Strava but could be. So what; I've heard the comment "list your activity as hiking or trail running" if you don't want to defame MTBs---ever seen a hiker or runner hit 40 mph on a downhill??? We're not fooling anybody.

BTW; in these tough times tearing out illicit trails is welcome employment for Park staffers.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
How do you know said trails were closed because of Strava? Not trying to troll you, I'm just curious ... ok, I'm also asking a bit to troll ;).

Maps and locations of eg UCSC trails and such were easily found online in the days before any of the GPS sites existed (circa 2004 as I remember)... were the land managers too dumb to use Google in those days?
First of all you may have skipped over this statement I made "I don't know if Strava had anything to do with this one"

Had a discussion not to long ago with a buddy who builds trail for a living and works with land managers often. He's been told that they are keeping an eye on Strava and think its the greatest tool ever for them.

Trails that have been previously ignored for the most part even though land mangers knew about them are now seeing how often there used. A trail in Marin was closed not long ago based of information gained from Strava.

My guess this trail the OP is talking about was hit cause of the features were getting out of control and some people had been getting hurt, this is not the first time this has happened in this area. But I would certainly not be surprised that Strava brought extra attention to the area.

·
Registered
668 Posts
First of all you may have skipped over this statement I made "I don't know if Strava had anything to do with this one"
I was referring to this:

"I don't know if Strava had anything to do with this one, but trails have been closed because of it and the land managers are watching"

Had a discussion not to long ago with a buddy who builds trail for a living and works with land managers often. He's been told that they are keeping an eye on Strava and think its the greatest tool ever for them.

Trails that have been previously ignored for the most part even though land mangers knew about them are now seeing how often there used. A trail in Marin was closed not long ago based of information gained from Strava.

My guess this trail the OP is talking about was hit cause of the features were getting out of control and some people had been getting hurt, this is not the first time this has happened in this area. But I would certainly not be surprised that Strava brought extra attention to the area.
I was just asking because one can read here on the board all the time the claim that trails are being closed because of people posting stuff online, but I have never seen evidence of this (still haven't?).

I also hear about trails being closed because people get hurt on them and need helicoptered out, because neighbours complain about shuttles, because of angry hiker complaints etc, which all look like more plausible reasons for land managers to act, but that's just IMO.

·
middle ring single track
4,679 Posts
You posting that picture seems to contradict everything you just said.
That's the problem; seems we're not aware that we're walking around with our flies unzipped. Strava is walking around un-zipped with no undewear. Doncha' feel a draft?

It's out there for the whole world to see.

No contradiction; that image is from a public site no login or membership required. All it takes is one further step to ascertain that most of those tracks are allegedly MTBs. My point is that we should be much more careful.

I could have posted the Strava image of the same area (names names); I can if you'd like me to. (joking)

Reactions: sparkyJay
1 - 20 of 52 Posts